Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While news of the new iMacs, Mac minis and Mac Pros were the big announcements today from Apple, the company has also tweaked a few of their other products.

Apple has quietly increased the processor speed of their mid-range 15" MacBook Pro from 2.53GHz to 2.66GHz and the top-of-the-line model from 2.8GHz to 2.93GHz.. The change is unlikely to be noticed in day to day operation but is a distinct modification from the original release. They have also begun offering a 256GB SSD upgrade options for the 13" aluminum MacBook and 15" MacBook Pro as well.

Meanwhile, forum user MacGeekDC noticed that Apple now offers a wired keyboard without the numeric keypad. This option is now available for $49.

093335-wiredkb.jpg

Article Link: Apple Quietly Bumps 15" MacBook Pro Speed 256GB SSD Option, and New Keyboard

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Sweet offer on the 256GB SSD drive!

That keyboard is going to irk some people though...it's default (which you have to deselect) on the iMacs...

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
as long as they don't get rid of the numeric keypad completely i guess it's ok. i use mine alot.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
as long as they don't get rid of the numeric keypad completely i guess it's ok. i use mine alot.

I'm concerned about how they'll handle this in the Apple retail stores, though - do you think they'll stock both iMac models (with two different keyboards) or do you think they'll make you purchase the one without a keypad?

dexx0008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Meanwhile, forum user MacGeekDC noticed that Apple now offers a wired keyboard without the numeric keypad. This option is now available for $49.

get the facts straight, the keyboard comes without keypad by default, when you order you can opt for the keyboard w/keypad if you want at NO COST. atleast on a few imac models I looked at.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Nobody seems to have picked up on the tapered foot on the new iMacs, doesn't seem to be mentioned on any of the news stories. It now looks like the cinema display foot. A very subtle but successful tweak in my opinion.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Hah. Is there some large fraction of the Apple user base that had a problem with the numerical keyboard? How are you supposed to use Numbers or any other application that requires numerical input with THAT?

The bluetooth mini-keyboard was OK since it was marketed as an additional input device, but they've gone off the deep end with this one.

I can't believe it's the default choice. That means every person who buys the iMac at retail (from places like Amazon, Best Buy or Mac Mall) are going to have to deal with not having a numerical keypad. What's next a keyboard without arrow keys?

Revival Cr8tive

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
A sad solution..

Why carn't someone tell Apple that they need a wireless keyboard WITH a number pad... in the new style. There is no point of a slim line version of this keyboard that's wired. IMHO.

Is anyone else thinking this ?

:confused:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Some people are very upset over the downsizing of the wired keyboard, but I have to admit I don;t favor the accountant keyboard. I'm using a wired one right now and it's unusually large compared to my old wireless shortie.

I stopped using the wired shortie because I had no need to spend batteries. It used to be used because the cat would try to lie on my hands and stop me from working when he wanted attention.

cyberwolf777

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
Did they also lower the price for the 256 GB SSD option? It is now $700 for the 17" MBP and the 2.66Ghz 15" MBP. Wasn't it $900 before???

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Oh ffs.... that really hacks me off. Screw you apple I WANT 2.93 ........
this is really not going well for me... :(:(:(:(

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
Desktop Trackpad coming....?

I think this move to get rid of the num. pad and decrease the width of the keyboard is a good sign that Apple might be prepping a multi-touch glass trackpad for their desktop line. By have it be smaller, one could attach (via usb) a trackpad to either end of the keyboard (lefty or righty).

Don't blow this off, I think its gonna happen in some manner. Multi-touch is still non-existent on their desktop line, a glaring signal to me.

Thoughts?

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I think this move to get rid of the num. pad and decrease the width of the keyboard is a good sign that Apple might be prepping a multi-touch glass trackpad for their desktop line. By have it be smaller, one could attach (via usb) a trackpad to either end of the keyboard (lefty or righty).

Don't blow this off, I think its gonna happen in some manner. Multi-touch is still non-existent on their desktop line, a glaring signal to me.

Thoughts?

I hope you're right, I would love one of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.