Apple Announces New MacBook Air With 13-Inch Retina Display and Touch ID

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2018.

1. upandown macrumors 6502a

Actually having a thicker chassis with cooling using a similar cpu as the MacBook; it’s going to throttle very little to a lot less than the MacBook.

2. k2focus macrumors member

it looks like it's a better deal because it is. it's much better.

3. upandown macrumors 6502a

Garage OS!!!

4. ghanwani macrumors 65816

It looks like repackaged nTB MBP, with addition of a fingerprint reader and 0.25 lb shaved off. When loaded up, it costs similar to the nTB MBP.

5. X--X macrumors 6502

SOOOO...

they updated the MacBook and just called it MacBook Air, because they realized that the Air name is very popular.

The MacBook and the MacBook Air are the same product now, just with different configurations.

6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I'm not happy about having to pay $400 extra for 512GB SSD, but looks like this will be my next Mac in the spring sometime. Replacing a Mid 2009 Macbook pro. I've got over 20,000 pictures in Photos, so lower storage isn't really an option. I'd love more than 512GB but can't do more than that.

7. Amorun macrumors member

BTW, there're some doubts: i5-8200Y is a 1.3 GHz processor with 3.9 TB and this MBA's processor is claimed to be 1.6 with 3.6 TB

8. k2focus macrumors member

the base models probably won't be bad, but any real processing is going to have serious issues. i mean there is no way around it without fans and water coolers - this thing has no room for anything real.

don't get me wrong - it's impressive what apple does with these things being this size, but they cannot match up to larger machines. that's ok if you're just using internet on it (which is what i think the vast majority of air users do).

9. Joniz macrumors regular

Well, my MBA 11” i7 2013 (5 years old!) suddenly seems much more spritely. Still good for another five, I think.

Of course, by then, the most affordable Mac notebook ever will be $2,000+ and the keyboard will be replaced by sharp pieces of glass.

On a side note: It really annoys me when they stand there on stage and say This is our best whatever ever! Really, I never expect them to come up with something crapper than before, at least in their eyes (well, except the Mac Mini 2014. Even Apple knew they were screwing folks with that one.).

10. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

Garbage keyboard, not even one last-gen USB port. MacBook Air RIP.

11. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Yeah I'll stick with my 2014 Macbook Pro thanks. Higher clock speed, same RAM, more reliable keyboard and the screen is still better. I was hoping to upgrade at some point but the pricing is getting silly. The base model Air costs £200 more than my Pro did yet has worse performance.

12. k2focus macrumors member

i was in your boat, and then after realizing that apple has become a phone company i switched back to pc and got a baller computer. it's a little strange going back to pc, but until apple starts making real computers again i can't justify their outrageous pricetag.

13. magbarn macrumors 68000

I guess Apple is such a poor negotiator considering fast 512gb NVME SSD's are now routinely available for $150...
    or maybe, Timmy likes his profits

14. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Fan proof.png

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple prices everything to maintain a 35-40% margin. Microsoft doesn’t since hardware is a side business.

That said, Apple’s lineup is a bit confusing. They should just drop the 13” nTB pro since it isn’t much faster (7th generation U-series vs. 8th Generation Y series). The MacBook didn’t get an update (since it would have been to the same processor in the new Air), and its main selling point is the size. But there is a clear differential now between the MacBook/Air and the Touch Bar Pros.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---
    Which means it won’t throttle like the base MacBook.

16. upandown macrumors 6502a

The screen is not better. Same resolution and I promise you the other more important aspects will be superior.

17. Yamcha macrumors 68000

To be honest, the line between Windows and Mac is becoming so thin that I suspect many people who aren't reliant solely on applications would have less issues with switching. Even the gestures are incredibly similar and just as natural, the same applies to the Trackpads on a Surface Pro, Book or Laptop. I'm a Mac user and while I did switch back to Windows a couple years ago I had to switch back for Sketch (Mac Only App) otherwise I would've remained on a PC. Now, I don't really have much issue transitioning between the two, it just seems kind of seamless in a way.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

Perhaps it’s a new Intel processor? Seems unlikely, but Intel has designed processors for Apple before. I notice it has UHD 617 graphics and not 615.

19. k2focus macrumors member

that's apple's solution to all their logic boards overheating? a single tiny fan? no thanks...

20. BehemothManiac macrumors newbie

And I've got a 1TB m.2 SSD for $150 for my brand new Hackintosh. Good thing I've decided not to wait for the keynote, as I was kinda deciding between building a machine myself or getting the new iMac (which was not announced today, hahaha).

21. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Oh nice so now you can't have any useful ports (sans the headphone jack) on any up-to-date Apple notebook. Great. Awesome design choice to put form over function.

22. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

23. Amorun macrumors member

24. bjjp2 macrumors regular

25. BlargKing macrumors 6502

BlargKing

Too much overlap with the MacBook and the 13" MacBook Pro. The lineup is getting confusing.