Apple Quietly Releases iTunes 12.6.3 With Built-In App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has quietly released iTunes 12.6.3, which reintroduces the ability to download App Store apps and ringtones from within the iTunes desktop software.

Apple is making this version of iTunes available because "certain business partners might still need to use iTunes to install apps", but the download is basically available to anyone looking to reinstate the functionality that was removed in iTunes 12.7.

[​IMG]
    Installation packages for Mac and PC (32-bit and 64-bit) are available for download on the support page. After the installation, most users will need to rebuild their iTunes Library. To do this, hold down the Option key when the app launches and in the dialog window that appears choose "Create Library...". Give the new library a name that's different to your existing library, and then migrate over your albums using the Add to Library... option under the Files menu.

Apple released iTunes 12.7 in September and said the new version was designed to focus solely on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks, which was the reason behind the removal of the built-in App Store. Following the change, apps and ringtones could only be downloaded on an iOS device.

This special "business edition" of iTunes includes compatibility with iOS 11, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X. It's not clear how long Apple will offer iTunes 12.6.3, and the company does not provide technical support for this version, but for those who want the functionality it could be a useful makeweight until Apple comes up with an alternative solution.

(Thanks, Luming!)

Article Link: Apple Quietly Releases iTunes 12.6.3 With Built-In App Store

2. GaryMumford macrumors regular

GaryMumford

3. gpat macrumors 6502a

Are those declarations for real? Just put back the feature already.

4. Dremmel macrumors member

5. benguild macrumors 6502a

So if you're still on 12.6.2 ... should you install this or not?

6. ginkobiloba macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

Hurray ! A lot of people were unhappy with that decision to remove the appstore. Apple does listen ( sometimes )

7. MaaK macrumors newbie

Tried it but it said my iTunes library is newer (due to 12.7 installed) and wouldn’t open. So I had to update to 12.7 again. Any help on that problem?

8. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Read the article, you'll find your answer ;)

9. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

Yes, even if just for that reason alone:
    So can't "accidentally" "upgrade" to 12.7 sans App Store.

10. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

The library won't be compatible. You need to hold Option while opening iTunes and create a new library. Maybe there is someone who can try editing the iTunes library as it is probably the version number in the library file has been updated and prevents it opening.

11. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Good. Not everyone like my parents dsl 6000 got a fast enough connection to just keep redownloading every app after each restore

12. Roller macrumors 68020

You have to create a new library and move your stuff into it. I haven't done that yet. Apple should have noted that in their support document.

13. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

14. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Well I think the best solution would b to make a separate desktop application for ios device management (except music) for backups and app purchase and syncing.

15. manu chao macrumors 603

You need to restore a version of your library 'file' (iTunes.itl) from before you updated to iTunes 12.7. And probably redo all changes (like adding content, rating songs, creating playlists etc.) done to your iTunes library since then since they won't be reflected in the restored library file.

16. darkarn macrumors 6502a

I will just download this first and then archive this somewhere safe

It won't be long before it gets taken down

17. ToM7 macrumors 6502

ToM7

I wonder when we gonna see iTunes 13 with all new UI*

*as I'm really missing to iTunes 11 :(

18. bob122989 macrumors member

bob122989

Basically going back to what they had years ago with iSync.

Attached Files:

19. christo747 macrumors member

christo747

Will the rebuilding be easy and without problems? With so much content of all kinds will there be problems?

20. tech3475 macrumors 6502

Is it still possible to rebuild the library using the xml file?

21. alexgowers, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

alexgowers macrumors 65816

Meh, I think the idea that an iOS device needs a computer for any functionality is going to result in bad decisions. iTunes doesn't need an App Store for a device with the exact same connection to the internet and using the PC as a repository doesn't require an App Store built in for that.

Continuity with autonomy should be the goal. I thought most people wanted a lighter version of iTunes, you gotta let them remove that bloat guys.

22. JosephAW, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Now if we can get Apple to walk back other bad decisions: Headphone jack, Hide ugly top bezel on iPhone X, Restore Touch ID in iPhone XI, Restore 32bit apps, Remove ugly all white iTunes interface, Restore app purchase transfers in iTunes to desktop, iPhone 5 formfactor, High Sierra for Mac Pro 1,1, iCloud for Snow Leopard, etc...

23. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

How does removing a feature make it lighter you don't hold it lol it can have another add on and still run smooth doesnt mean it wont be as fast, every time we restore a devise as a beta tester its annoying to redownload evey app to ipad and iphone takes ages so this is good

24. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

...without offering an alternative. iTunes is a bloated mess, so removing it makes sense, but they at least need to provide a viable way to keep backups of Apps so that people with slow internet connections don't have to download everything again and again.

25. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’m fine with the new version, and keeping it.. less bloat and it works for my needs.

But glad if this helps anyone out.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    I doubt it will go smooth for everyone, another reason I’m keeping the new version. But then again my devices are not filled with useless apps, I tend to only keep the few I need and delete the rest anyway.