Apple Raises Prices on All 256 and 512GB iPad Pro Models by $50

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. RedCloud2017 macrumors newbie

This is why I still stick with an old Samsung tablet. Yeah, the iPad Pro is obviously the superior device but there's no sense in spending that kind of money just for a device to browse the web and read on the couch. YMMV of course.

2. M.PaulCezanne, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502

M.PaulCezanne

Could easily be a very bad decision. Clearly they believe their loss from eating cost increases would be greater than passing them on + a loss of goodwill. The danger is mis-valuing that goodwill, which is very, very easy to do.

Only a few months ago they introduced iOS 11 and boasted about how great the experience would be with an iPad Pro. They billed it as a laptop replacement and the best mobile system around (for non-power users). A lot of people will see this as a needless consumer gouge on the eve of iOS 11's release by the richest company in the world that can easily afford to eat cost increases.

I said this when Angela Ahrendts was presenting yesterday... This management team really strikes me as extraordinarily narcissistic and out of touch with their customer base. I'll be surprised if they can ride this wave much longer.

3. gtkriz macrumors newbie

It's funny how things like this turn my "I want it" into a "I don't need it".
    (is it my fault that I didn't want to order until the Keynote took place?)

4. swajames macrumors regular

I agree. I also thought Ahrendts was hopeless yesterday. She had nothing interesting to say and what she did say was delivered blandly.

The comment about apple stores being "townsquares" was a particular lowlight... Just astonishing hubris.

5. drewyboy macrumors 65816

You have yet to actually talk towards any of my points. I never said prices weren't going up, and please, no name calling. Keep a level head and stick to the points.

6. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

I did, it seemed to bother you, there was no name calling, just observation of words and intent. Did you even read the articles? To be on point ;)

7. drewyboy macrumors 65816

I did. No numbers given at all as to price increases.

8. josehill macrumors newbie

josehill

Coincidently, Amazon just announced a significant sale on their Fire tablets for Amazon Prime members. iPads clearly are more capable than Fire tablets, but if your needs are mostly on the consumption side, it's getting harder and harder to justify the price premium even for entry level iPads.

For example, as of this writing, the Amazon Fire 7 is on sale to Prime members for only $35, and it is perfectly adequate for streaming Netflix, hulu, and other content, as well as light duty web browsing and email. For $15 more, they have the bigger, brighter, and faster Fire 8. Again, an iPad is a significantly better device in most respects, but for many folks, it's not so much better that it is worth paying ten times the price just to get the entry level.

I'm old enough to remember when Apple was all about selling computers "for the rest of us."