Apple Raises Prices on All 256 and 512GB iPad Pro Models by $50

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I'm not happy with Apple's pricing either but this is related to worldwide NAND shortages. Both DRAM and NAND have shortages problems just now.

2. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

As I have already said many times today: It’s like they are in the business of making money!

3. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

4. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Indeed... and "forget" to lower prices when they can.

6. WBRacing, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Cost of a 256Gb 10.5 with WIFI went up €70 in Germany, glad I claimed one as straight after the WWDC Keynote!

The elephant in the room for me surrounding the new iPhones is the lack of a 128Gb model, only 64 and 256 available.

I guess they're trying to force previously 128Gb owners onto 256, so in a few years when the options are 128 and 512 they can make them buy bigger again!

8. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

Looks like they've increased UK prices by around £60.

At the moment retailers like John Lewis have yet to raise theirs; might be worth considering when you factor in JL's warranty too.

9. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I am really upset at this price hike. :mad: I thought I was being a good steward of my finances by not getting an iPad Pro when I did not need it while it was heavily discounted at Best Buy. Now I that I do need it, I decided to wait for the next sale. But, with this price increase the discount probably won't be as good as when Best Buy had it. I should've just gotten it back then. Guess you just have to grab the opportunity when you see it. :(

10. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502

M.PaulCezanne

This and the 1 hour talk time limitation on the series 3 watch throw a wrench into my plans for a tech refresh this year.

11. cube macrumors G5

Which does not matter.

12. danskin macrumors member

Did the US just conquered the world over night?? The price bump is happening world wide.

13. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Yes. It's one of the reasons Apple is participating in the bidding for Toshiba's Flash storage division. They want it so badly, they're part of three different groups that are trying to land the winning bid.

I don't think this is so much a matter of reducing their cost (or our price) as it is of securing a stable supply of a key component. With nearly the entire product line dependent on Flash, they need all the Flash they can get.

Meantime, consumers who have been conditioned to believe the cost of storage always has to go down are waiting to see spinning HDDs disappear from the iMac and Mac Mini product lines.

Ultimately, chips are a commodity, little different than petroleum or wheat. Producers are in a position to create artificial shortages by building fewer chip foundries, choosing to pump less from the ground, or sowing fewer acres. Over-producing commodities leads to consumer-friendly prices, but it rarely enriches the producers.

14. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Oof. :eek: The internals price spike should not be passed onto the consumer. :(

Not keen on these ongoing price hikes and find this unnecessary on Apple's part.

15. Pike R. Alpha macrumors 6502

Pike R. Alpha

In that case the price of all products should go up. Not just the iPad with 256/512GB of memory.

This so called shortage is an 'artificial' one. Cause by Apple itself. They knew about it a year ago, and they tried to fix it, but they failed.

16. manni macrumors regular

In the UK the price of the 256gb model has been raised by $92 (£70). It is particularly frustrating as the pound has risen against the dollar since the iPad pro was introduced - which proves that their price increases last year were just profiteering.

I have been thinking about buying an iPad pro and I really don't know what to do now - it seems absurd to not buy it over the sake of £70 but I hate the feeling that I am being ripped off.

17. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Prices has been raised in most of American countries, even in their Online Store for Education

18. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Glad I bought my 256GB pro in July when B&H had them for $50 off. So now I saved $100!

19. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Unbelievable. They are using the storage memory cost increase as an excuse. In companies the size of Apple’s, they surely have some sort of hedging against the cost increase of components.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Cheap parlor trick in preparation for Black Friday. Raise the price $50 then watch it go on sale for AMAZING $100 off! Common retail trick. Kind of absurd here because iPads were already overpriced. Glad I got in early though. If these prices are the new normal could be my last for a long time. Somebody spiked TC's punch and good.

21. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Don’t post facts, it’s a buzzkill for whining about evil Apple ;)

22. drewyboy macrumors 65816

50/50. My money is on no, they keep it the same and just make more BUT if they do, they'll make it sound like it's an "amazingly incredible, you should give us your first born child because we're so good to you, you don't deserve us" price cut.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Right, it cost them SOOO much more that they've had to pass it off to the consumer, and it's "magically" an even $50. How about you start posting facts too. How much has this driven up their price? I thought they bought in mass quantity years in advance, if so, why are we seeing the price increase when this NAND was bought a few years ago?

23. J___o___h___n macrumors newbie

I see no reason to increase these prices. Greed is the only explanation. Not cool.

24. macTW macrumors 65816

So you're saying you didn't increase your income over the last two (or however long since you purchased a phone)?

And if the trend is prices decrease for more efficient production, can't more costly production result in a price increase? Or, as a consumer, do you feel the company is obligated to never raise prices?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    If a company can decrease price why can't they increase it? There are a myriad of reasons why price would go up. We're trusting a rumor hog who is wrong more than he's right. I don't trust him, but I don't blame Apple for price changing.

25. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Makes me wonder on the iPhone pricing from now on...