Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.

Robbery? Ease off that strong coffee.
Taxes need to exist, I get that, but a rate of 25% is indeed a robbery. It’s simply too high.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Taxes need to exist, I get that, but a rate of 25% is indeed a robbery. It’s simply too high.

Too high is certainly something worth discussing, depending on country and usage. Calling it robbery is unnecessary drama when discussing taxes in any democratic system.

Reactions: Colonel Blimp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2002
Yeah but EU members are actually independent countries each with its own government and laws, and Apple has a separate online store for each of them. In the US, on the other hand, Apple has a single online store that sells to 50 states with different sales tax rates (or with no tax at all). That’s why they can’t publish prices on their website with tax included.
That's not a valid reason at all. Like I said, it is a UX challenge and nothing else. And I already gave you one way to do it.

Many European online shops are just asking you to choose your country, but they don't operate completely separate stores (with different assortments, promotions etc.). It is exactly what Apple could do with the US store too, if they wanted.

Besides, in the US it has always been customary to add the sales tax at the time of checking out. Americans wouldn’t easily adjust to such a change.
Absolutely!

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Too high is certainly something worth discussing, depending on country and usage. Calling it robbery is unnecessary drama when discussing taxes in any democratic system.
At the very least, levying a 25% VAT is an excess when in most countries the VAT is usually between 10 and 22% with the US charging even less than 10% for sales tax in most states.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
That's not a valid reason at all. Like I said, it is a UX challenge and nothing else. And I already gave you one way to do it.

Many European online shops are just asking you to choose your country, but they don't operate completely separate stores (with different assortments, promotions etc.). It is exactly what Apple could do with the US store too, if they wanted.

Absolutely!
Well it looks like this is one more thing americans simply will never do, just like they’ve never used metric system, they never had phone cards for payphones with chip, they’ve never written dates starting with the day, they’ve never implemented calling party pays for cellphones and their restaurants have never used the wireless card readers that can be brought to the tables.

Reactions: 123

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
At the very least, levying a 25% VAT is an excess when in most countries the VAT is usually between 10 and 22% with the US charging even less than 10% for sales tax in most states.

Tax is of course a complex topic and in each country the tax burden is different and falls on different groups. The pure VAT value is but one indicator for it. 25% is certainly up there in the high registers.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I don't know where VAT is charged at 25% but one shouldn't forget that that doesn't have to mean that it gets charged at that rate for all products. Often the top rate is used for 'non-essential' goods. For example, it wouldn't surprise me if food, children's clothing, etc will be charged at 0%.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I don't know where VAT is charged at 25% but one shouldn't forget that that doesn't have to mean that it gets charged at that rate for all products. Often the top rate is used for 'non-essential' goods. For example, it wouldn't surprise me if food, children's clothing, etc will be charged at 0%.
Usually countries have a single VAT rate that applies to all goods and services except for those considered essential, which are tax exempt, such as food and medication.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
More alcohol, way less guns than elsewhere. High speed motorways in good states, no death sentences.
Good education that’s also affordable.

First world country, in a nutshell.
You assume everyone wants more alcohol, less guns, and no death sentences. I would like better faster roadways though.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You assume everyone wants more alcohol, less guns, and no death sentences. I would like better faster roadways though.

Oh, sorry if that sounded like assumptions. It was nothing but a collection of things that came to mind. Others will sure;y have other priorities.

Reactions: gaximus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.