Apple Raising App Store Pricing in Canada and Six Other Markets

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 18, 2016.

1. RedOctober macrumors regular

RedOctober

Meanwhile, back in Washington DC http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Maybe Apple have plans to buy USA and call it United States of Apple.

2. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Dude's been Prime Minister for two months and you're already blaming the guy?

Are you being deliberately stupid?

3. AlexH macrumors 68020

AlexH

Careful, he has a fleet of jets you know...

4. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

So much talk about US Dollar ... I thought Apple was based out in Ireland.

5. gimikinc macrumors regular

gimikinc

In Canada isn't there two sales taxes GST and PST (~12%)? Beyond exchange rate isn't this a factor to the bump in app price?

It is true Apple is slow to reduce the prices after raising and there has been corrections in the exchange rate. Beyond Apple airlines and shipping companies are still charging for "fuel surcharges" and oil has never been cheaper. Some leave it as "fuel surcharge" and others are calling it "Carrier imposed fees".

6. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

It was a joke. Lighten up Francis.

7. Swazaloo macrumors regular

Not at all. It's extremely rare for any company to lower prices once they have been raised. Why do you think the airlines have yet to drop their prices in response to lower fuel costs. It will never happen.

8. djnigelchung macrumors member

hahahah so true. (I'm Canadian)

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

At some point in time the Canadian Dollar will recover. I will be interesting to see how quickly if at all they move to reverse these changes.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't know why people think A) Apple is exclusive to adjusting prices based on currency and taxes or B) it only affects consumers outside the U.S..

For example, I buy a lot of Ted Baker clothes (not because its great quality, but because it fits me well). Ted Baker is based in the U.K. but sells worldwide. The last jacket I bought listed for 178 British Pounds in the U.K.. Converted to U.S. $ that would be $251. But in the U.S. the jacket listed for $329, or $78 more than in the U.K. Now $55 of that is U.S. Customs fees BUT the 178 Pounds price also included VAT which U.S. imports are not liable and Ted Baker is pocketing and then some.

11. satchmo macrumors 68020

That some point might be a long ways away (like 10 years). Oil and gas is not going back up anytime soon.
    Although, I suppose one could see a 75-78 cent dollar, as a recovery.

12. bstpierre macrumors 6502a

Good point. They should just have everyone use the US app store and your bank can work out the exchange rate you pay for each purchase.

13. Zuri Sebastianski macrumors newbie

Zuri Sebastianski

Maybe they will raise the cost of their computers soon if the dollar keeps dropping.

14. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

What?

Why should someone living in Canada pay less than someone living in the US or Europe?

15. talkybear macrumors regular

While Apple is free in adjusting their prices (either apps or products), they should know that people in these countries are not earning more money because of the exchange rates change, thus there will be less demand.

16. AppleInLVX macrumors 65816

AppleInLVX

Amen. I want to see how long it takes for the price to reflect a strengthening Canadian dollar. I want to see Apple lower prices quickly when that happens. If I recall, even when we were at parity a couple years back, we still paid more for Apple gear.

17. Binarymix macrumors 65816

*Sigh* So we now pay a $.40 premium instead of the $.31-2 it should be. And yes our american friends, tax goes on top (13% in Ontario), which they don't even show until the receipt.

It's no wonder I stick to the free apps or nothing.

18. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

It was inevitable. Still, this increase isn't going to stop me from buying apps worth paying for.

19. d656 macrumors member

Sure...

20. LiveM, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016

LiveM macrumors 65816

LiveM

Not sure where you get the idea that it costs less in Canada. I believe that a $1 app in the US costs about $1.40 in Canada.

21. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

I was responding to the guy I quoted who was saying something along the lines as to why should everyone pay in american dollars.

22. oneshotpro Suspended

why should they? it should be based off reasonable money for the app. the prices never went below a dollar when it was above the US dollar, why do I have to pay more if the dollar decreases but the same if its above?

should I have to pay $50 for a app if the dollar completely tanks? just remove it from the store if you aren't satisfied when other countries can't pay american dollars 1 for 1.

23. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

I remember when the US to Canada was like $1 to $1.50 and coming over to Canada to visit. Then when Canadian dollars went more than US dollars, I stopped coming over.
    When the Canadian dollars dropped again, I came over again. It is just a cycle and we shall get along.:)
    (BTW, the Yen is really low now that I am having a blast importing their games.)

24. nav92 macrumors member

nav92

Using a US iTunes Account while living outside the US with Gift Cards to buy apps, music etc. Works very good.

25. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Because the Canadian dollar only was worth more than the US dollar for a few months and the difference was less than 5 cents.

When the Canadian dollar was on par with the US, Apple CHANGED their prices to match the US prices. At that time there was no App Store but all the hardware prices were on par with the US. When/if the dollar goes back up you can rest assure apple will adjust the App Store & Hardware prices to match the US. You don't see apple charging europeans 99p for apps but instead they pay 79p because it is worth more.

Take your blinders off, they are actually playing very fair.

What if your employer started paying you less because they are selling more to Canadians and not US customers? That is what you are asking Apple to do. Pay developers less for each sale in another country.