Apple Raising App Store Pricing in Canada and Six Other Markets

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

Apple does the opposite sometimes though, speaking of slow to raise, the iPad Air 2 starts at $499 is the US and $549 in Canada, with the current exchange rate, the Air 2 should be over $720 dollars in Canada. Canadians quite a discount on the Air 2, technically the price should have been adjusted quite a while ago. And I'm sure this is true in other regions/for other products to some extent as well.

2. MysteriousStain macrumors member

MysteriousStain

At the foot of a mountain and beside a river
    Presumably the developers should get their fair share as well? Yes, the loonie is on the verge of becoming the peso and it's rather poopy but it's no reason why people who make the apps should be short-changed.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Transferring money to a U.S bank account is still exchanging the currency, it makes no difference. Unless of course he converts it while the CAD is strong compared to the USD. But I don't think all this hassle is worth it to save 20 cents here and there on app purchases.

4. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I believe I already have purchased all the apps I need and use, and the App Store is now full of photo-editing apps anyway.

5. wigby macrumors 68000

As a customer, don't like this nickel and diming either - it's very unApple.

But as an AAPL shareholder, bring it on and rock those profits. Besides, AAPL is looking for a way to instantly restore some of the billions it's spending on stock repurchase right now.

6. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

Blame someone for putting all of our eggs in the oil basket. It ain't Apple fault our dollar is worth significantly less than it was 3 months ago, or even 2 years ago.

7. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Came here for funny uneducated rants like these. Was not dissapointed. :)

8. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Not surprising, the Canadian dollar sucks. Can't really blame apple for this.

9. venusboy macrumors regular

Can't believe they didn't pass the Romanian VAT decrease onto consumers!

The Europeen Commission can just add that to their 8bn euros.

10. acegreen, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016

acegreen macrumors regular

acegreen

Ahh again people making comments without actually knowing what they are talking about. It's usually lack of education that results in such ignorance.

The raise is mostly for developers as we are seeing less earnings selling internationally due to currency exchanges. Apple will inevidently benefit from this since they do take a 30% cut. But we can't really expect them to compensate for the currency changes from their own pockets. Or lets just keep it the same and developers can start applying for unemployment benefits because users are so cheap these days. No one wants to pay even a few dollars for apps these days but go buy $7 frappe mocha latte chai crap.

See my comment above. My advice don't judge or make a comment without a good understanding. It's either they adjust rates to reflect exchanges or they compensate for it from their own pockets or keep it the same and let developers earn less than the pennies they earn today.

You need a lesson in basic economics/finance.

$1 USD = $1.45 CAD.

So as a matter of fact, with their $1.39 CAD rate you are actually paying LESS than your US counterpart.

As also stated below, they actually should have raised the prices for these markets a while ago. But I personally think they actually wait for the market to bottom and stabilize before adjusting. I expect them to do the same going in the other direction. Though I would love it as a developer if they were more responsive. I lose a lot waiting for them to adjust.

That would be a good idea, though the implementation might not be feasible. But given the fact that these currencies have been going down for a while, it would be nice if they reacted quicker. It seems they really wait until it bottomed and stabilized before taking action.

When they have 200B+ parked, they don't need the 30% cut of a few billions to pay that.

11. Marshall73 macrumors 68000

Marshall73

Apple has a duty to the developers to charge the correct rates per country.

12. Speedy Dingo macrumors regular

Speedy Dingo

Poor Apple. I guess they need to stuff around with pricing again to pay those $8bil in back taxes in Europe. Guess Europe will get another price hike soon...

13. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

You realize that the vast majority of money you pay in the App Store goes directly to the developer right? Apple takes a piece but the majority goes to the guy that worked hard to create the app. Why should they take a smaller cut and have to suffer lesser profits for their hard work when choosing to sell to the non-US market?

The alternative is that they can simply not make their apps available to you. It costs them money to support those that buy the app and if they aren't making enough on the app itself then it's often easier to not bother selling in those markets.

Quit crying that you have to pay a price that's normalized because the strength of your dollar is so poor. The US didn't get any benefits when the US dollar was doing poorly. Instead you Canadians went on and on about how awesome it was.

14. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

I'd say if you were planning that big purchase do it now because hardware prices are sure to follow. This isn't Apples fault. It's redo hours to suggest that they or anyone should lose money on conversions.

15. 0997853, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

0997853 Suspended

I guess the concept of fair exchange rates is lost on you, most of you 'Muricans. Why the heck 1 dollar converts in 1 euro on EU stores since forever (not now when the dollar is strong - still 1 euro = 1.09 dollars)? Why the heck all prices in EU are greater than in USA (INCLUDING YOUR TAXES, IT'S STILL CHEAPER to buy from US)? B*tch please!

Sure, they did it before: "Oh, the dollar is weak! We need to increase the foreign prices to get more dollars, to compensate the downfall." When the dollar is strong: "We need to adjust the prices because we are getting fewer dollars."

Please, stop with the corporate bullsh*t. Everyone knows almost every USA corporation and not only those are doing this 1 dollar = 1 euro (if not 1 dollar = 1.3 euros) crap on most of their products. As with the euro, in some other countries the same currency politics are applied: Australia, Canada, and a few others. The same happens on Steam and on other service providers and vendors.

This is called corporate greed, it's not the currency exchange, it's not about the fact they lost a few bucks in EU Courts, I bet they have all that covered by a fund especially created for these kind of things. It's just greed in pure form.

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

When the Canadian Dollar goes down, my income as an app developer goes down. This change counteracts it. Three years ago, one Canadian Dollar paid the same as one US dollar. Today, it doesn't.

And someone here posted something about an "8 billion fine". There is no 8 billion fine. There is no 8 billion tax bill. There are some random calculations by a Bloomberg employee, and that's it.

17. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

Didn't see the Canadian fellows complained when they came over last week to buy the Power Ball tickets while hoping for a big win because of the exchange rates...

18. oneshotpro Suspended

haven't purchased a single app since they increased the price last time...why should the entire world have to pay in 'mericun dollars for software?

19. Swazaloo macrumors regular

I understand why they do this, but this is a one way street. Prices will not be lowered if/when the CAD dollar goes back up, or surpasses the US dollar.

20. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Trudeau is not just a cartoonist.
    Hopefully Canoodia doesn't end up like Venezuela.
    Can't imagine living without toilet paper in utopia.

[​IMG]

21. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

Why does everyone say this baselessly? I'm pretty sure they'd change it back. Is that not what they did in the first place?

22. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

"... you Canadians"???

tsk-tsk. Such bigotry.

23. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Canadian dollar went down when Harper was in office. And you will always have toilet paper. If you would wish people die becuase they cannot afford health care, then you can always go to South of our border. Canada is better without Harper.

P.S. I don't give a crap about App Store raising price. As long as Google does not do the same, I am fine. I buy all my apps, music and movies from Google Play Store. Sorry, no iTunes and App Store

24. anonymous13579 macrumors member

You guys in the USA are lucky! Our dollar suck, everything is so fricken expensive in Canada!

25. raab macrumors regular

I'll take living in NZ and paying more over a living in a country that has Donald Trump in it :D