Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I guess its Apple's answer for Chromebook.
Of course, being Apple, it will cost double of Chromebook; maybe iBook reincarnation?

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I bet it will be the first apple computer to run ios 8 as it's OS. ;)

Just thought I would try to out bummer everyone else.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
and ramping down the battery life.

Remind me, what Apple products have taken a hit in advertised battery life in the last 5 years?

Genuine question, I know iPad Air 2 is slightly less than iPad Air in terms of battery life, but the Air 2 still pulls 10 hours of use, the same as advertised as the Air 1.

Apart from that I can only ever recall increased battery life.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
This fascination with thinness is becoming annoying and resulting in gimped products. Maybe Apple needs some new design talent that still thinks of practical application over how thin they can make something

Nah, that was until recently. Now they can gimp their products without even changing the form factor. Look at the mini ;)

Seriously, I can't see how it can be considered a laptop with a single connectivity & charging port. This would automatically mean that I will not be able to use my MBA at work (and at client's sites computer rooms) with an ethernet cable/adaptor while charging it at the same time ? Why would I want the new one ?

My current MBA can go anywhere. The new (rumored) one would be good for nothing.

This is the logical device for the anti-tablet crowd (hi).

This is a nightstand computer, a coffee shop computer. An email, youtube, browsing computer. It's not for CAD renderings and editing movies. If you want to attach a bunch of accessories, this isn't that computer. The concept is ease of use portability, which doesn't entail dragging along your mouse and external hard drives and all your other gadgets. That's not what's going on here.

Amazing how people are fine with no ports on an ipad, but give a slim notebook the same treatment and everyone loses their minds.

Because there's a distinct difference between a notebook and a tablet (or should be at least) so people expect different things from each one. Connectivity does not only mean an external storage, mice, monitors etc. You won't be even able to plug a simple network cable without stop charging it. So much for a laptop.

And, on a final note, what's wrong with current MBA's portability ?

Last edited:

Mark.

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
London, UK
This pleases me.

I was coming to terms with waiting until June, but Q1 (presumably March in line with the Watch) is an unexpected bonus.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
Lots of people moaning about a lack of ports in this thread. I can't remember the last time I plugged anything other than the MagSafe charger into my MacBook. Most things work wirelessly these days. Even my headphones.

Plus Apple hasn't even released this device yet, and until they do there is no 100% confirmation they won't add another 1 or even 2 USB Type-C ports. Maybe even a single thunderbolt port.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
If it's not good enough for your purposes then don't buy it simple! I myself won't be buying it because my rMBP Is miles better but I'm sure this is perfectly fine for someone that wants a cheaper machine

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just don't get this, why produce a 12" MBA when they already have a 11" and 13" Won't this potentially cannibalize either (or even both) MBAs?

Plus, I need a computer that has ports, pure and simple, (obviously this isn't for me), seems kind of ludicrous for apple to exclude a USB port imo.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Pry my mid 2011 11 inch Macbook Air from my cold, dead hands, with its few ports and all. It still runs Photoshop and other demanding applications well, along with connecting to a large display.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Without pre-judging the product like so many here, and knowing I already have an Air and don't need a new computer for a few years, this is mainly a new form factor device. It will run Unix, Windows, OSX all in one device like all other Macs do. That's a thing all in itself.

Apple succumbing to USB as the primary I/O is interesting after all the counter-propaganda they did over USB3. One wonders if they will find a way to squeeze TB2 in there as well since they have been pushing it so hard. Really? Only one port?

Will it come with a splitter for docking which is a small USB hub and power station? My use case involves charging my iPhone off my computer some of the time.

Rocketman

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Good point. I use a logitech mx anywhere mouse.... this would be an issue for me if true.

I don't understand what the issue is with keeping the existing frame size, but increasing the size of the screen (getting rid of the hideous huge bezel), and going retina and using the existing acceptable size to house a battery that's still appropriate (which any thinner will lessen battery life)..... ugh

I'm all for technology progression, but when the logic to creating thinner sacrifices usability for the sake of being thin, it somewhat lowers the product.

You won't be using a Logitech MX Anywhere mouse when USB type C is all that's in the wild - until they create a type C dongle, that is. What this really looks like is that Bluetooth mice and keyboards will finally get the push they needed 10 years ago. There is no reason we should need dongles when our PC's have no less than two wireless radios and sometimes many more.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
No thunderbolt (great for target disk mode troubleshooting), no purchase.

Only one USB port, a deal breaker. At least two required for pendrive sharing and wireless presentations with devices like this:

Keyspan Wireless Presentation Remote for Conferences, Boardrooms and Classrooms
Model Number: PR-US2
http://www.tripplite.com/wireless-presentation-remote-control-laser-pointer-2-button-mouse~PRUS2

Or alternatively, use your iPhone to control your keynote presentation?

Or run airserver and mirror your ios device off your macbook.

Now that you mention it, I think it's the clicker that is the outdated piece of hardware. Seriously? Paying so much for a device with such a limited feature set?

I am sure people threw a similar hissy fit when the first MBA was released, but guess what? People either adapted, or realised that they didn't really miss features like a cd-drive or VGA port after all. Who knows - new technologies or software might evolve to take the place of USB drives and take file transfers one step further.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
No thunderbolt (great for target disk mode troubleshooting), no purchase.

Only one USB port, a deal breaker. At least two required for pendrive sharing and wireless presentations with devices like this:

Keyspan Wireless Presentation Remote for Conferences, Boardrooms and Classrooms
Model Number: PR-US2
http://www.tripplite.com/wireless-presentation-remote-control-laser-pointer-2-button-mouse~PRUS2

You do realize that what you just linked isn't even USB type C anyway? It's like everyone wants to point out how useless ONE USB port will be with a bunch of devices that can't even fit in that port anyway. This problem is going to go way beyond Apple - and it really makes you wonder if it's even true that the device will have Type C or just one port in the end.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
This pleases me.

I was coming to terms with waiting until June, but Q1 (presumably March in line with the Watch) is an unexpected bonus.

Yeah, as someone excited about the watch this news is good because I now believe the announcement of this product will coincide with more watch info and a final release date.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
This is a nightstand computer, a coffee shop computer. An email, youtube, browsing computer. It's not for CAD renderings and editing movies. If you want to attach a bunch of accessories, this isn't that computer.

Totally agree, and I hope this is what they release. I can attest (and someone else said this as well) that there's a big untapped group of coffee shop writers and students who have been using an iPad + keyboard to work for years.

I have been using the iPad + Logitech keyboard cover for nearly three years now, and it's only the Retina screen that's the reason. Well, that, and it's stupidly portable. All the heavy lifting is my iMac at home. I would sorely love to have a laptop with a retina screen that runs OS X to take along and do work anywhere. This is so very much my portable platform. Bring it on!

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
I'm really interested to see how this turns out.

However, OS X looks a dated mess next to Windows 10 so whilst I really would like an ultra skinny MacBook, some of the machines displayed at CES last week show how the competition hasn't stood still. For me, Apple are going to need to do more than shave off a bit of weight to make this a "must have" notebook. I wonder what hardware innovations it will bring apart from being ridiculously slim & light?

Yup, I hear you. The new Dell XPS 13 with the infinity edge screen looks amazing and now I can't stand those thick bezels on my Macbook Air

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am really exited about this product and curious to see the Apple's design decisions. One USB-C port would be two little, but two should be enough for what this machine represents. It could honestly be a revolution in personal computing for the average user, if they can deliver a lighter, thinner, hi-res machine without sacrificing battery life. The performance does not matter much, even if its 10% slower than the current MBA, it will still be fast enough. Looking forward!

I am certainly not interested in purchasing one — my computation needs are different. For for people who use computers as their personal research/communication/entertainment machines, this is perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.