Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lfrios

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Torreon Mexico
Thanks for the Push

Yeah. Wait for gen 2 iPads while not having the gen 1 experience with one right now. That's the moronic advice everyone should ignore. The only morons are everyone who hasn't already ordered one but could. Only reason to not get an iPad now is if you can't afford the expense. Otherwise the idea of not having the current edition while waiting for the next one is just plain dumb. You will be able to sell the current model for almost the price of the next one when it comes out. Current ownership will probably cost you $100 when the next one is delivered to you. Get real. :rolleyes:

If you think $100 is too much money to spend to have an iPad now as well as when gen 2 ships, then you clearly can't afford to own one in the first place. And as long as the current model ships faster than Apple can make them, there's no reason to expect a revision anytime soon. Sure I'd like to see a camera and retina display etc. But that doesn't make the current model any less compelling than it already is. I'm a triple dipper. I carry all three devices with me wherever I go. I listen to my iPod Touch while I read my iPad as my iPhone keeps me in touch in other complementary ways. I love to use them all at once.

I totally agree with you, In fact that's what I was waiting to get me convinced to get one. From here to the Apple Store (Online 'cause there are no stock)... :D. Thanks for pushing me...

alan27inla

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
You'd be crazy to buy an iPhone 4 now, when one defect is found after the other. Believe the complaints, fellow mate, the iPhone 4 in it's current form is seriously flawed.

It's a shame that only months after its launch, the iPad is officially under-specced, under-performing and overpriced.

I kind of thought that that has been the case for a while... since launch, to be precise.

Just to be precise - your iPad has 256MB RAM, half of what several smart phones have, including the iPhone 4. Whatever you do on the device, you won't have much left.

That is the case with your $829 gadget too. It might be pricey, but it only has the RAM of a decade-old computer.

The serious shortfalls of the iPhone 4 are the serious defects.

So revolutionary that a phone can beat it. In fact, much older jailbroken devices have been beating it. Magical!

Wow, KernKraft, you really are an Apple basher. Why are you here then? Shouldn't you be on an Android site?

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
I totally agree with you, In fact that's what I was waiting to get me convinced to get one. From here to the Apple Store (Online 'cause there are no stock)... :D. Thanks for pushing me...

I have to agree that waiting for Rev2 is pointless. I remember back when we were all waiting for a PowerBook G5, and it never happened. Then also waiting for a High-Res display on the 15" PowerBooks. We finally got Higher Resolution displays a few months ago, 7 years later. I'm happy I didn't hold out on buying back in 2003 while waiting for my dream PowerBook to become a reality. It's nice to have geek wish lists but don't let it ruin the possibility of enjoying current technology.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
You'd be crazy to buy an iPhone 4 now, when one defect is found after the other. Believe the complaints, fellow mate, the iPhone 4 in it's current form is seriously flawed.

It's a shame that only months after its launch, the iPad is officially under-specced, under-performing and overpriced.

I kind of thought that that has been the case for a while... since launch, to be precise.

Just to be precise - your iPad has 256MB RAM, half of what several smart phones have, including the iPhone 4. Whatever you do on the device, you won't have much left.

That is the case with your $829 gadget too. It might be pricey, but it only has the RAM of a decade-old computer.

The serious shortfalls of the iPhone 4 are the serious defects.

So revolutionary that a phone can beat it. In fact, much older jailbroken devices have been beating it. Magical!

C'mon man, seriously?

If you hate the iPhone and iPad so much, then don't buy them. You have plenty of choices. Android has HTC with it's Sense UI, Motorola, Lg, Samsung, and Sony are also using the Android OS on their phones. Archos and Dell both have Android tablets. Ah, and before I forget, Nokia has the N8. Anyway, you have plenty of choices. I believe peoples expectations from Apple are ridiculously high. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

BTW, calling the iPhone or iPad Magical is just marketing, and it works. Don't let it get to you.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
All this rubbish about specs and decade old computers???

I replaced my 13" MBP with an iPad and absolutely love it. Its just brilliant, lightening fast and battery lasts for ages. To even compare this product to phones and iPods is pathetic, the whole experience is a million miles ahead of them. 256MB Ram, so what when it works as fast and smooth as this. I have had mine a month and in that time 8 friends and family members have ordered off the back of having a play on mine.

I think most of the people that bash the iPad should seriously sit down with one for a few hours and their opinions will soon change.

The sales figures speak for themselves, there won't be any iPad updates until next spring, why would they update a product that they cannot meet demand for a fraction of the world yet because sales are so strong?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
It seems like the iPad in the US has lost some steam. No one is talking about it anymore (especially after the iP4 release).

It will be interesting to see how it manages in the next year here in the US.

I challenge you to casually walk into an Apple store and find a 32GB Wifi iPad.

They usually run out of stock in less than 2 hrs.

TheXIIIth

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
That's great and all BUT when are they going to ramp up production on the Camera Connection Kit?
Shipping 4-6 weeks has been posted on the iPad accessory page longer than 4-6 weeks.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
Can't wait for the second gen iPad's to hit the market. :D

Exactly. I'm so tempted to get one but there's so many things that could be improved for next gen (camera w/ facetime camera, higher rez display, more space, etc...) I'm usually the person that says to just buy it now and be happy with it but I have a feeling the second gen is going to be a huge leap. Think transition from iphone 2g to 3g.

Shank2001

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
I also use both, and the iPad is what I use almost all the time. I only use the iPhone 4 when I don't have my iPad handy. I absolutely LOVE my iPad, and it has changed the way I use computers, for the better. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone 4 too, but if push came to shove I would give up my iPhone before giving up the iPad, and use a non-smartphone as a phone.

It is very handy having both though. They compliment each other well.

As for the retina display on the iPad. Those waiting for that to happen are in for a LONG wait. Here is a reality check for you. The resolution would be GREATER than a 30" display, and we all know what monster graphics cards you need to run those decently, right? These kinds of high PPIs are going to be limited to cell phones for quite a while, and are only possible because the screens are so small. Technology has a long way to go before the retina display comes to anything but the iPhone. Sorry to burst many people's bubble, but there it is.

For all those fence sitters, the iPad is definitely worth it... One of the best computing purchases I have ever made. I got the 64GB 3G version and very glad I did... I have over 20GB of applications ALONE on it already. I am sure in another 3 months or so I will be well over 32GB of applications.

Sent from my iPad.

blackcrayon said:
I own both, and use both. The iPhone 4 hasn't taken over for much that the iPad can do, except when i dont have the iPad around. Different use cases. For example, it doesn't matter how dense the pixels are on the 3.5" iPhone, the 9.7" iPad is still more comfortable for web browsing... And faster typing.

The only thing that really looks dated about the iPad is that it lacks folders and the multitasking of iOS 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.