Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
Normandy, France
No problems with the last update or unexpected crashes and dare I say Safari did seem a tad (maybe a smidgen) snappier! lets see what this update will do;-)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
But....but...but Apple makes the best software on the market...they...my world has been shattered. :rolleyes:

Seriously though. The concept of QC at Apple is a joke. How many times has this happened over the last 5 years? Not saying the competition is better. The latest work around for an IE patch is to have people dive into the registry... :rolleyes: Just that Apple's rep perpetuated by its fanbase leads to the conclusion that they are 1337....if so this crap shouldn't be happening. If not then people better stop putting them on a pedestal. Pick your poison.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
But....but...but Apple makes the best software on the market...they...my world has been shattered. :rolleyes:

Seriously though. The concept of QC at Apple is a joke. How many times has this happened over the last 5 years? Not saying the competition is better. The latest work around for an IE patch is to have people dive into the registry... :rolleyes: Just that Apple's rep perpetuated by its fanbase leads to the conclusion that they are 1337....if so this crap shouldn't be happening. If not then people better stop putting them on a pedestal. Pick your poison.

I don't mind slamming of Microsoft or Apple - but it does piss me off when people blatently lie about the fact that they laden their machine with crap - then wonder why things go pear shaped.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Based on the Setup Assistant SCREEN FROM HELL episode on the last update....

I is waiting..
I had this problem last night with this new update. First time I encountered it. I was beginning to think I would have to restore from backup until I got it solved.

I'm just not very warm and fuzzy about Leopard these days. I may go back to Tiger if 10.5.2 doesn't make it considerably more stable. Apple needs to cool it's heels on the "Vista upgrade to XP" joke because it could find itself in the same boat.

bslax28

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2004
well I just went to install this update and it caused my computer to lock up.

same thing - i allowed it to restart and it sat for many minutes on the gray screen with the rotating... thing. i held down the on/off button for 5 seconds, and then turned it back on. it started fine, but the restart after install never fully ran its course. is this a problem? i checked to see if it was installed and software update seemed to think so...

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
same thing - i allowed it to restart and it sat for many minutes on the gray screen with the rotating... thing. i held down the on/off button for 5 seconds, and then turned it back on. it started fine, but the restart after install never fully ran its course. is this a problem? i checked to see if it was installed and software update seemed to think so...

Exactly the same problem on my Macbook. It thinks the update is installed, but I'm not so sure.....

Nori

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
I installed the update on my MacBook Pro and everything went fine but when the computer started up again there were two green lights on the keyboard, the num lock and caps lock. I just turned it off but when I started typing I could just type numbers but when I turned both lights on it works fine.
Lights on: works like they are off
Lights off: works like they are on :p :confused:

Stinger123

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006

The exact same thing happened to me.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Safari 3 was crashing about 2 or 3 times a day on me before this update, but I am not sure if it fixed anything because I just updated a couple of hours ago and already had it crash on ebay.com just a few minutes ago. Last time I did a Security Update I had the issue with the blue screen coming up after the restart and after about 15 minutes I had to do a forced shut-down and restart, but this time it worked fine. I am not thrilled how the Software Update works on 10.5 and Safari 3 is very unstable. The funny thing is Safari 3 Beta was more stable then the released version.

jmingin

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
Los Angeles

Same thing happened to me, too. It sat for at least 15 minutes on the white apple logo screen. Did a hard restart, came up fine... so far

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
I hope it helps with the problem. Safari has quit on me quite a few times lately. When I first wake up the computer I get a blank screen. Will do the update when I get home from work. I can't wait to see what happens. :p

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Up until I installed this update Safari was fine, but is now crashing for me regularly.

What I don't get is the beta version of Safari being more stable then the released version. At least that has been my experience. It's time for Apple to give us a Safari update that will fix it and make it stable like it used to be. Crashing a few times a day is making me consider different browsers.

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
Up until I installed this update Safari was fine, but is now crashing for me regularly.

Same happened to me with the keyboard fix. Never had an issue before yet after the fix I've noticed characters go missing.

Leopard. Generally good, but so far has annoyed me more than Tiger.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Same happened to me with the keyboard fix. Never had an issue before yet after the fix I've noticed characters go missing.

Leopard. Generally good, but so far has annoyed me more than Tiger.

Which fix, exactly, are you referring to? Today's fix Security Update 2007-009 (v1.1) or the one prior to that (v1.0)?

somberlaine

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Fairfax, VA
fixed Flash/safari crashing after the last security update

After the last security update, every time I access this flash based chat/forum, my safari crashed. This update seems to have resolved this issue for me.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I didn't notice this issue by I'm glad that they fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.