Apple Reaches Podcasting Milestone with 1 Billion Subscriptions

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According the Podcasts section of the iTunes Store, Apple has just hit a milestone of one billion Podcast subscriptions. Originally introduced in 2005, Podcasts allow both individuals and major companies to broadcast episodic radio-style shows. Apple offers thousands of different Podcasts that are available via iTunes or its Podcasts iOS app [App Store].

[​IMG]
    Apple told Macworld that its billion subscriptions are spread across 250,000 unique podcasts in more than 100 languages, with more than eight million episodes published to date.

The new celebratory section includes popular Podcasts like This American Life, TEDTalks, 60 Minutes, and Happy Tree Friends, among others.

Article Link: Apple Reaches Podcasting Milestone with 1 Billion Subscriptions

2. BRussell macrumors member

Your title really should say a billion subscriptions, not a billion subscribers.

3. Aidyn's X macrumors regular

Good point

4. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Fixed, thanks for the suggestion.

5. fongkahchun86 macrumors member

fongkahchun86

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Woah, it took THIS long?! I remember when podcasts were the thing, and it was so COOL when you could start doing chapters and all that nice stuff in them.

I don't think they're as big as they were a few years ago. I still download them, but they were bigger before smartphone were.

7. Georgij macrumors regular

8. FFArchitect macrumors regular

FFArchitect

What were you expecting?

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It was one of the first hit animated podcasts. We're talking iPod Video (5th generation) days.

Well, it just seems like it took so long considering they've been an official thing since 2004. 1 billion iOS apps were downloaded by 2009.

10. Garrod Suspended

Garrod

Are Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington being recognised as part of this? :)

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Nope. Not in the US store anyway.

12. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Wonder how long Apple will have really any degree of enthusiasm for pod casting considering (as far as I know) they don't make any money from it.

13. WisdomSeed macrumors newbie

Unfortunately or me,

My favorite podcast seems to have disappeared in the last few months. There is on longer any 'Most Emailed Stories' from NPR. Having stories from 'All Things Considered' and 'Morning Edition' were much, much better than trying to stream them through the app. Also they no longer offer 'Breakin it Down' movie reviews, but I find Film State a very good replacement.

But what I liked about the NPR Podcasts is that there were new podcasts everyday, great for the commute.

Sigh....

14. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

True, but remember, it's SUBSCRIPTIONS, not individual downloads.

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Maybe I'm getting old, but what the hell is "hard new"?

16. WisdomSeed macrumors newbie

It only stands to reason, there are six iPhones in my family and I am the only one who enjoys podcasts. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to get anyone to even adventure towards them. Youtube kinda gets in the way.

17. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

KieranDotW

True, I'd be surprised if 1/7th of the world even owns Apple devices.

18. MacSawdust macrumors member

19. Zyphras macrumors member

Podcasts. For some things it's pretty 2005-y with the advent of YouTube. But for "pure radio" such as news/current affairs and the likes Marc Maron, it's still a pretty great phenomenon though.

20. hauntvictim macrumors 6502

hauntvictim

I love podcasts!! They are a free way to enjoy your favorite artists and I think they are woefully under looked.

21. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well, a billion subscriptions on iOS alone doesn't seem that overlooked to me :)

22. lherman macrumors newbie

"1 billion"

along the lines of the 1 billion subscriptions not subscribers, the article also says that users have subscribed to 1 billion podcasts. i don't think there are that many podcasts! i know it's semantic :)

23. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    The funny thing is that there are probably about that many unsubscriptions. Having said that, there are really good podcasts out there.

24. osaga macrumors 6502

If iTunes were web based, and if it did a better job of suggesting other radio shows you might like, it would be 5 billion. No one is burning CD's or plugging their iphone in any more. But Apple does what they do.