Apple really should have made 3 iPhone 6 models.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Razeus, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

Of course we don't need Apple going the Samsung route and release the same phone with 10 different names (their new one is the Samsung Galaxy Alpha???) over the course of a year, but Apple really should have launched the iPhone 6 with 3 models, to give different people with different needs, different options:

iPhone 6 Nano: 4.0" 16GB only ($199)

iPhone 6 Classic: 4.7" 16GB ($249) & 32GB ($349)

iPhone 6 Plus: 5.5" 64GB ($399) & 128GB ($499)

2. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

2nd

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Don't worry, iPhone 6 Pro Mini with a 4" retina display and 1.2 GB of RAM is on its way.
    Will be released with the iPhone 6+ S Air HD.

5. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

You think I have a shot?:D

6. ozshadow macrumors regular

Except the 4.7 doesn't seem like "Classic" since it has never been produced.

It will be interesting to see if a 4" phone gets updated with the S revision next year. I am no longer on the S schedule unless it is the 7S. My 4S went three years. I think my 6 probably will too.

7. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Then we'd have a ton of people complaining about how their nano 6 is nearly identical to their 5s.

Every other year they make a big change. This year was screen size. Without it, there isn't a whole lot to separate it. No point in offering a small 6 when the 5s is still available.

8. Preed08 macrumors regular

I do find myself missing the compactnesss of the 5s honestly

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

The internals of the 6 and 5s are so close to one another... It would've been like iphone 5s part 2.

I understand people wanting a smaller screen and maybe one day it gets updated, but right now Apple is playing catchup in the screen department so honestly I only see them going bigger...

Like 5.0", then 5.2".

The iphone is the nicest phone made IMO, but imagine them without the bezels. This 4.7" could easily be 5.0" and the 5.5" could have been 5.8" or more.

10. zetti macrumors 6502a

zetti

Oh please, no offence but Apple have their strategy, you don't have to like it but please stop pretending you get why they do things the way they do it.

11. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

OP has a valid point, which means queue all the idiotic 'cool story bro' replies.

Why not release a phone to suit every demographic?

They've gone from one extreme to the other. This time last year those who wanted a large screen had no iPhone options. And this year those who want a smaller screen have no options.

And yes, I'm aware they still sell the 5s. But anyone who has the 5 or 5s are out of options. The 5s is basically the 5 with Touch ID. Slightly better CPU. I have a 5. Why in the world would I pay out £480 to buy the same phone I already have? Yes it's a slight upgrade. But it's not £480 worth of upgrade.

So if I want to upgrade my phone what do I do? I don't want a large screen. Personally 4'7" is too big. And I'm not paying out for a 5s when I already have a 5.

Do I wait yet another year in the slight hope that apple will release an updated version of the 5s? Which I don't believe they'll do. Or do I look elsewhere? I now have no option but to now look elsewhere after owning an iPhone since the 3G.

I also realise those who want smaller phones are in the minority. And that it's good business sense to go with what the majority want. But for years and years apple have rammed the 'nobody wants a big phone' line down out throats. And the 'it's all about one handed use' And now apple have decided people do want a bigger phone and screw one handed use, those of us who don't want that are out of luck.

Cheers apple.

PS. I also realise nobody cares about my opinion. But apple have around 6k of my cash thanks to buying numerous iPhones, iPads and iPods. So I'm perfectly entitled to rant should I chose.

12. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

IMHO they should have released 17 different iPhones to suit everyones wants and needs. With 1,000 different storage options, custom colors covering the full color spectrum, choice of Android, iOS, OSX, Linux, Windows operating systems, and with 3 different charging ports (micro usb, 30 pin, lightning).

iPhone A- 3.5" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone B- 4.0" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone C- 4.1" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone D - 4.2" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone E - 4.3" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone F - 4.4" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone G - 4.5" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone H - 4.6" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone I - 4.7" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone J - 4.8" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone K - 4.9" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone L - 5.0" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone M - 5.1" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone N - 5.2" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone O - 5.3" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone P - 5.4" screen 1KB-1TB storage
    iPhone Q - 5.5" screen 1KB-1TB storage

Everyone happy now?

13. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I want the iPhone H or I, 1TB.

14. dBoPlay macrumors newbie

No way. Steve Jobs would never have allowed multiple iPhone models in the first place. Dilution of brand value and all that.

15. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

No, you're wrong. They should have just done this

iPhone Star MEGA
    iPhone MEGA
    iPhone 6S Mini
    iPhone Young
    iPhone ACE 4G LTE
    iPhone 4G LTE A
    iPhone ROUND S
    iPhone BEND PLUS S
    iPhone EDGE
    iPhone NO EDGE
    iPhone PRO
    iPhone ROYAL
    iPhone SuperSmart
    iPhone SuperDumb
    iPhone Kaptuer
    iPhone Patented
    iPhone Wonderful
    iPhone Magical
    iPhone Bigger than Bigger
    iPhone The U2 U Don't Want

And that's just the first six months! ;)

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

While I don't agree with the OPs naming or space allocations, after handling an iPhone 6 I have to agree that Apple should have kept the previous size in the lineup with new internals.

17. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

The problem is that Apple is trying to release every dollar and they want the margins to be as high as possible.

They kept the 5C for a reason, especially if it's using yesteryear's technology.

You sir are a ''Steve Jobs'', not a Tim Cook. Time for you to start your own company.:D

They could have had the 6C @ 4''.

18. mojolicious, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I suspect a significant proportion of the user base do *not* want a 4.7" or larger phone, and a significant proportion of those will look elsewhere when it becomes necessary to replace their current iPhone rather than live with an iP6.

I also suspect that these numbers will be significant enough to force Apple to produce a smaller iPhone 6 in the nearish future, whether that be simply a repackaged 5s incorporating minor spec upgrades, or a 4" variant of the full fat iPhone 6.

Have faith!

19. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

But the way phone companies don't confirm anything these days and it's all speculation until the launches. There's no way to know for sure if apple will do this.

If I thought a few months down the line there'd be a smaller iPhone 6/updated 5s then I'd wait for that. But as it stands it's all guesswork.

So I'm looking at other options. I may get the moto g. Which is only around £120 then just leave the rest of the cash in my savings account on the off chance apple so release a 'new' smaller phone.

20. bmt134 macrumors 6502

The third model should be one that doesn't bend.

21. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Not really. Excluding the form factor, the 5S is more like a 6 without Apple Pay.

22. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Sarcasm went over your head

23. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I got the 6 on release day through my pre-order and while the screen was fantastic and build quality was great, portability and ease of use with one hand is more of a priority to me. So I exchanged it a few days later for a 5s. 4" is a perfect size.

24. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

If anything it should be 4.5, 5, and 5.5

I think a lot of people who settled for the 6 because the plus was too big, would have appreciated a 5" phone.

25. dBoPlay macrumors newbie

Unfortunately my sarcasm in response didn't translate. -_-