Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve jr.

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2005
Akron, OH
I imagine the experience looking like...
car.jpg

Reactions: agsystems

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I hope they don't use Google. In my area (Northern Italy) they sent me into no man's land several times, and I completely gave up and disinstalled the app. Apple Maps are way better.

So much for the "failed Apple Car" haters.
Same thing happened to me in Portland Maine!
Could depend on where you live but for me, Apple maps all the way, no more google maps.

Reactions: HenryDJP

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Oh sorry, I will remember about that when I have to swim through the lake to get to the gas station:

But no worries mate, I equipped myself with this car:

Each and every nav system has mistakes, this tells me exactly nothing.
I just picked yours, there are others which claim the same, use it for extended time and then see if it's so much worse than others, guess what, it's not.

Reactions: alecgold

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
If Apple isn't planning on licensing out the software, shouldnt they be making a car first then?
Not necessarily.

Google started autonomous car testing years ago with the same Lexus RH450h model that Apple's newly issued permit covers. That was years before Google/Waymo's little bubble cars debuted.

Like Google/Waymo, Apple has likely reached the same conclusion that the standard automobile is mature technology and the immediate focus should be on software development.

Apple is trying to teach the driver. The vehicle itself is less important, just like teenager learning to drive in mom or dad's car. Whether a teen starts driving in a 2001 Toyota Corolla or a 2016 BMW 3-series is less important that what he/she learns.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Question: If Apple made a perfect clone of the Tesla Model 3 and both were available today at the same price, which would you buy?

I'd agree with you: Tesla have the experience. In fact, I think this is why the Apple Car is reputedly not happening: Tesla have already made the "Apple Car".

Plus, Tesla is run by a guy who seems to have a genuine enthusiasm for making cool sci-fi stuff, whereas Apple is run by a guy who has a genuine enthusiasm for watch bands.

Also, Tesla are likely to win the self-driving race: they're making a car with all the hardware needed for self-driving, and, presumably, collecting a metric shedload of real-world driving data (including possibly inadvisable use of the existing autopilot features) to train his systems, while his competitors are pootleing around a few cities at 20mph with a test driver behind the wheel and a lawyer in the passenger seat. If and when the software is ready for real-world use, they'll have a substantial customer base to roll it out to as an upgrade.

Otherwise - self-driving is going to take an awful long time to get that last 1% finished so that it is safe to use without the driver paying attention while also not being aggravatingly over-cautious.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Each and every nav system has mistakes, this tells me exactly nothing.
I just picked yours, there are others which claim the same, use it for extended time and then see if it's so much worse than others, guess what, it's not.
You see, but the problem is not with the mistakes. It's with the "doesn't give a finger" attitude.

I've been reporting it for two years (maybe 2,5). There is no clear and comprehensible system that could track this.

Sure, every system has flaws, Google Maps, Garmin, HERE, TomTom, but they had it corrected in 3 months since my report.

Apple Maps no. Why? They are poorer than Garmin? HERE? They don't want to have up-to-date maps? They develop autonomous cars which don't need maps?

No matter what the answer is, there is something wrong with Maps which has been admitted by Cook himself (in 2012, and in 2016 again!: https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/14/appl...ne-7-launch-about-advice-aiar-and-the-future/).

They acknowledged it twice, they will again, because their pace is turtlish at best.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Apple was added to the list of permit holders that are allowed to participate in the Autonomous Vehicle Tester Program in California on Friday, joining companies like Google, Tesla, BMW, Honda, Ford, Nissan, and more.

When exactly is the new Mac Pro being released?

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I wonder how self-driving cars can be a reality any time soon. The software must be very complex and full of bugs, with serious ramifications. How can the coders anticipate every possible scenario the car will encounter? Maybe to assist the driver, okay, but not autonomous. As I've written elsewhere, I can anticipate something like this:

"Recommended software update 3.0.5 - fixes a problem where the windshield wipers came on instead of the brakes being applied under certain emergency situations."

Reactions: Col4bin

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You see, but the problem is not with the mistakes. It's with the "doesn't give a finger" attitude.

I've been reporting it for two years (maybe 2,5). There is no clear and comprehensible system that could track this.

Sure, every system has flaws, Google Maps, Garmin, HERE, TomTom, but they had it corrected in 3 months since my report.

Apple Maps no. Why? They are poorer than Garmin? HERE? They don't want to have up-to-date maps? They develop autonomous cars which don't need maps?

No matter what the answer is, there is something wrong with Maps which has been admitted by Cook himself (in 2012, and in 2016 again!: https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/14/appl...ne-7-launch-about-advice-aiar-and-the-future/).

They acknowledged it twice, they will again, because their pace is turtlish at best.

I reported mistakes with Google Maps nearby me yet those have never been fixed.

I wonder how self-driving cars can be a reality any time soon. The software must be very complex and full of bugs, with serious ramifications. How can the coders anticipate every possible scenario the car will encounter? Maybe to assist the driver, okay, but not autonomous. As I've written elsewhere, I can anticipate something like this:

"Recommended software update 3.0.5 - fixes a problem where the windshield wipers came on instead of the brakes being applied under certain emergency situations."

Here's the point, software will never be 100% accurate in self driving cars, there could be a 100% safe system if all moving things have accurate GPS (=accurate up to a few inches) and communicate with each other and take action if needed.
But, this can't be done, you can't stick GPS in Humans and animals.

Because I really like OS X, hence the Hackintosh. Duh?

Illegal activity alert.;)

!

Last edited:

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
It's fun to see actual confirmation that they really do have a self-driving platform. I was beginning to wonder if they'd even gotten that far.

b1wils1

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
SoCal
apple's strategy of "not being first to the game, but be the best" has always been my favorite thing about the company. Apple won't be the first to offer driverless software and cars, but you know it will focus on being the best.

that's also the reason why i think we haven't seen the last of updating the appleTV into a home.

don't be first, be the best. unless you're in a group of people running from a bear. because
if (bearsituation) {
first=best}

Reactions: thefourthpope

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
You might need to change that picture and put the Apple logo on a Lexus steering wheel... please don't ruin that beautiful BMW steering wheel :)

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Wow, that came out of left field. The last set of rumors I heard was that the team at apple was disbanded and Apple was changing focus.
Can this be serious though?

Six drivers, three test vehicles?

Sounds (to me) like an initial "proof of concept" as the complexity of driverless autonomy lies on wading safely through the infinite nuances of real-world, poor infrastructure, which is the exponentially-hard part.

And on a side note. Is Bob Mansfield still alive and well at Apple? He was the quiet star (in my opinion) among Tim's executive homies.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Because I really like OS X, hence the Hackintosh. Duh?

Hey, I found this part of the site for you: https://forums.macrumors.com/categories/macos.182/ !!!

Now you don't have to sulk about being salty about vehicle software, iOS, iPhones, iPads, Macs, and (of course) Tim Cook!!! You can save all that vitriol & just go to a paradise where people are talking about what you're interested in, & you won't be "forced" to thank God for your "superior phone", "superior mobile OS", and "superior mapping solution", w/ such haughtiness than I'm guessing you think you actually designed all those things; I mean... NOBODY could be that proud of themselves & have such contempt for everyone else, when literally the only thing they did was- choose to use the same thing as 81.7% of all smart phone users.
Yay! WOW! You're soooooooo smart & clever, mister.... a God among men.
Thank you for humbling yourself to come here & bother to scoff at us.

(jk.... it is rude, annoying, pompous, & tired- feel free to actually follow the link I posted)

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
If it is a clone, then it doesn't matter what you buy. But these cars are all going to be very different with many different strengths and weaknesses. They won't be like current cars which are nearly identical at the mass production level.

One of Apple's advantages is its custom CPUs. They are powerful and low power. The scanning and computation necessary for the car to self drive is apparently massive and gets into serious computing territory. However big computers use a lot of electricity. Apple might be able to go multi-core with custom low power CPUs and have a serious computation advantage over other car makers. Also you have to give the edge to Apple in the software writing department over Tesla, right? Finally there is design, attention to detail and supply chain management skills that Apple has. Apple might be able to make a very compelling self driving car.
Personally, I'd buy neither. Those advantages you list for Apple... they aren't immediately transferable to autonomous vehicles. No current self driving car uses a 'big computer'. Why would someone give Apple an edge in software writing? Afaik, Apple hasn't demonstrated any expertise in software for autonomous driving. What in Apple's supply chain management history causes you to believe they would have any sway in the automotive supply chain? Conflating what they do with phones with sourcing in the automobile industry is folly.

I do understand this was a hypothetical posed by @ArtOfWarfare, but your conclusions aren't based on real world problems faced by the auto industry, much less a newcomer trying to bring a product to market. Apple can't even properly negotiate with the entertainment industry. I can imagine their negotiations with the automotive industry which is even more insular than the entertainment industry.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.