Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
And Mac Pro's are affiliated with Apple receiving Permits to Test self driving cars? You do know Apple has more than one Department that works on various projects within the Company?

So you're saying when Apple was working on incremental updates to the iPhone and iPad, putting out Watch bands, and wheeling and dealing in television content and self-driving car tech before, they had a bunch of personal computer engineers sitting around the office doing jack squat?

Can't have it both ways. They were either ignoring the Mac on purpose, or putting their finite manpower into new, silly endeavors at the expense of their core business.

Reactions: neutralguy

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
I don't know whether Apple thinks building a car is as simple as building a phone in China. Is Tim Cook ready to put his sleeping bag at the end of the assembly line like Elan Musk?

Reactions: Bacillus

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Soooo
Would Tesla use Apple technology to control its vehicles? Of course not.
Would Toyota? Of course not. GM? Ford? BMW? Mercedes?.... Of course not. No way. Every car manufacturer is going to have its own system.

Apple is still toying with the idea of some day in the far future manufacturing a self driving AppleCar.

Reactions: Bacillus

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Not one human ever has asked for a self driving car. I find this fascinating every company is focusing on it. It's so bizarre.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So you're saying when Apple was working on incremental updates to the iPhone and iPad, putting out Watch bands, and wheeling and dealing in television content and self-driving car tech before, they had a bunch of personal computer engineers sitting around the office doing jack squat?

Can't have it both ways. They were either ignoring the Mac on purpose, or putting their finite manpower into new, silly endeavors at the expense of their core business.

That still doesn't answer my question, does it? And I'm not saying anything. I made a direct observation regarding the differences between an unrelated comment in comparison to an article based on the Apple Car Permit. You're making assertions with correlations unrelated to a news story regarding a Mac Pro, which, the Apple Car Project could be smoke and mirrors for all we know.

And....if anything, making ill-sighted assumptions with Apple "Ignoring the Mac Pro on purpose" or "Silly endeavors", which you have no support showing which either of is true. So in your case, you can't have it both ways either making assumptions and subjective judgement calls what you consider "Silly endeavors" and Apple is doing "Jack squat." I think you're posts are false pretenses without you knowing anything of what Apple is doing on a daily basis aside from making anecdotal assumptions, regardless of what you believe. It doesn't work like that.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Not one human ever has asked for a self driving car. I find this fascinating every company is focusing on it. It's so bizarre.

What about if you were born blind, or were attacked and blinded? you'd like to get around still?
What if you had a very bad accident, or born disabled? you'd still like to get around?
What when you get old, and are no longer safe on the road to drive? you'd still like to get around?
That's not even mentioning the driving after a drink aspect.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007

Apple was added to the list of permit holders that are allowed to participate in the Autonomous Vehicle Tester Program in California on Friday, joining companies like Google, Tesla, BMW, Honda, Ford, Nissan, and more.

Article Link: Apple Receives Permit From California DMV to Test Self-Driving Cars [Updated]

Google is a website, not a company. If you are copying the names of the companies from the DMV website, you should use Tesla Motors, not Tesla. Also, if you are going to use Google, in the article, you might as well use Apple Computer, Inc., which is what Apple Inc. was called before January, 2007.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Wow, that came out of left field. The last set of rumors I heard was that the team at apple was disbanded and Apple was changing focus.

You don't seem to be really in the loop. This is the same guy who thinks Apple is creating artificial demand during launch by withholding inventory.

From what I read, apple disbanded the physical car division, and remained with the software side.
[doublepost=1492218472][/doublepost]
I'm a human, I'm asking for it

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Still broken.

Jakub pronounced "Yakoob"?... no wonder Siri could not understand!
[doublepost=1492219869][/doublepost]

Self-driving cars are the solution to road transportation because humans have largely failed to comprehend the rules of the road... using signal lights to communicate your intentions is SO simple, yet just count how many people don't.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
That still doesn't answer my question, does it?

To answer your question, Apple applying for a permit to test self-driving cars shows they have not really shelved the idea as originally thought. So they are still putting resources into a project many see as the kind of futurist twiddling companies get mired in when they lose their focus.

I think you're posts are false pretenses without you knowing anything of what Apple is doing on a daily basis aside from making anecdotal assumptions, regardless of what you believe. It doesn't work like that.

Well it's hard to really know what Apple is doing, since they like to be so secretive and all. All we can measure them by is the output of their endeavors -- i.e. released products. And with so few products coming out Cupertino lately that don't start with the letter "i", naturally one has to wonder what they are doing with all their resources (both financial and human) all this time. If Apple is only just now investigating what to do about the Mac Pro, clearly those resources were being put towards something else. You don't release a product and then just let it sit and not do anything meaningful with it at all for years after that, unless you want it to be its own dead end.

So to go back to the original point: yeah, how 'bout we not get sidetracked on pie-in-the-sky projects again -- because really, "2018 or later" is reaching into "too little, too late" territory when it comes to an Apple desktop computer that doesn't have a monitor built-in.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Google is a website, not a company.

It's a company. "Google is an American multinational technology company specializing in Internet-related services and products. These include online advertising technologies, search, cloud computing, software, and hardware." If this is some misguided attempt to be nitpicky, you should know that while Alphabet Inc. is the parent company, Google still exists as a subsidiary company, and is the company that's engaging in autonomous vehicle software.

If you are copying the names of the companies from the DMV website, you should use Tesla Motors, not Tesla.

Tesla Motors doesn't exist. The company is called Tesla. It doesn't matter at all what it (or Apple) used to be called, since we are writing about things that are happening right now. No reason for MacRumors to blindly copy someone else's error.

--Eric

Reactions: TechGeek76

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Still broken.

Thank you for posting this, this summarizes what's wrong with Apple nowadays, Siri has been abandoned for years, broken and subpar functionality, and Apple doesn't seem to have a clue anymore.

I don't want nor am excited about Apple getting into the car business.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Thank you for posting this, this summarizes what's wrong with Apple nowadays, Siri has been abandoned for years, broken and subpar functionality, and Apple doesn't seem to have a clue anymore.

I don't want nor am excited about Apple getting into the car business.
Actually seems like the financials and market don't agree apple is broken...not that any corporation can't use done improvements.

Maybe it just took this long to approve an application filed long ago ;)
Or Apple at work with diversionary tactics...
[doublepost=1492225069][/doublepost]
Works for me also.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Soooo
Would Tesla use Apple technology to control its vehicles? Of course not.
Would Toyota? Of course not. GM? Ford? BMW? Mercedes?.... Of course not. No way. Every car manufacturer is going to have its own system.

Apple is still toying with the idea of some day in the far future manufacturing a self driving AppleCar.
Every car manufacturer is going to try to build its own system. Some will not be successful. Automated driving requires core competencies that many auto manufacturers aren't known for. Whatever they come up with is likely to be scored by both reviewers and regulators, and some of them are bound to come up short.

I don't know Apple's plans, especially for the far future. But Apple could be setting itself up with licensable technology they can offer to manufacturers that decide that their home-grown solutions are never going to be competitive.

Reactions: citysnaps

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple logo in the sterling wheel.
self-driving car joins the rest of us 'accident prone' people.

Self driving cars and non-self driving cars are a bad mix. But i guess u gotta start somewhere

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.