Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple captured a record 51 percent share of revenue in the worldwide smartphone industry last quarter, which encompassed the launch of the iPhone X, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.

trio-iphones-ios.jpg

iPhone revenue totaled $61.5 billion in the fourth quarter of 2017, as Apple disclosed in its earnings report earlier this month. Strategy Analytics estimates Apple's smartphone revenue was three times higher than its nearest rival Samsung and seven times more than Chinese competitor Huawei.

Apple accounted for more smartphone revenue than the rest of the entire industry combined in the quarter, driven by "solid demand" for the iPhone X, said Strategy Analytics executive director Neil Mawston.

strategy-analytics-4q17-smartphone-revenue.jpg

iPhone's average selling price was $796 last quarter, up from $695 in year-ago quarter, which Strategy Analytics estimates to be almost three times higher than the overall industry average. Apple sold 77.3 million iPhones in the quarter, but it didn't disclose how many of those sales were iPhone X models.

Priced at $999 and up, the iPhone X has undoubtedly helped Apple increase its revenue share in the smartphone industry. What's more important is profits, however, and the iPhone often accounts for over 100 percent of net income in the smartphone industry when factoring in the losses posted by some rivals.

Article Link: Apple Recorded More Than Half of Total Smartphone Industry Revenue in iPhone X Launch Quarter

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Wow, now they're up to more than half of revenue. They've been commanding more than 90% of the profits for years.
Actually, more than 100% of profits at times. How can you make more than 100% of all profit? If others make _losses_, so the total industry profit is less than Apple's. (Samsung usually manages to be slightly profitable, so Apple plus Samsung almost always make more than 100% of total profit together).

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Apple is doomed though. Really, how many iPhone X was sold? Certainly iPhone has died. Did it really sell more than 8/8+? No one knows because we cannot trust Tim Cook!! Why doesn’t Apple release all the figures (like zero other companies)?! They are hiding something!

Apple is doomed. Go Alphabet and their Pixel line, which sold an “amazing” 3.9 million in 2017!

Screw you Apple and your walled-garden stuff!!

Reactions: Lozza013

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I'm no longer surprised or impressed by Apple's market share and revenues. Their gains were applaudable when they were a visionary underdog up against an industry of soulless Windows PCs. Now Apple has achieved a following that is so big that it doesn’t have to differentiate itself to sell product (at least in the USA). If the brand were to erode, it would take years before enough customers notice.

Last edited:

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
I'm no longer surprised or impressed by Apple's market share and revenues. Their gains were applaudable when they were a visionary underdog up against an industry of soulless Windows PCs. Now Apple has achieved a size that is too big to fail even it fails to differentiate itself from its competitors.

I really don't think you understand what too big to fail means…

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
+1 I'm dying for a "iPhone X Plus". I miss my old Plus size screen. Every time I see someone using a Plus in public I'm a bit jealous.

Yes! Forget the 6.5" OLED, just go 7" of gorgeous edge to edge screen phablet and slowly kill off the iPad Mini. X Plus take my money now!
[doublepost=1518717126][/doublepost]
Lets hope things keep getting better.

Love to see the next iPhoneX in a bigger size.

100% agreed!

Reactions: pauljbax

autrefois

macrumors 65816
You mean consumers who are "forced" to buy products?

After all, in 2018 who needs a smartphone?

As a consumer, it warms my heart that Apple now has more in revenue than all the other smartphone makers combined. I'm sure it will put all this money to good use, like putting it towards making even more expensive phones to further increase their revenue. And more expensive phones can only be a win for consumers. Anyone who doesn't like it can go back to using telegrams.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Given about half of every iPhone is made by Samsung...I'm not so sure that they are that worried about being "second"

The iPhone is not necessarily “Made” by Samsung. The iPhone incorporates components from Samsung being a supplier, (I.e.)-OLED display, Nand Flash, A-Series Processor. Apple still manufacturers their own iPhones, but other supplier components still contribute.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Apple is doomed though. Really, how many iPhone X was sold? Certainly iPhone has died. Did it really sell more than 8/8+? No one knows because we cannot trust Tim Cook!! Why doesn’t Apple release all the figures (like zero other companies)?! They are hiding something!

Apple is doomed. Go Alphabet and their Pixel line, which sold an “amazing” 3.9 million in 2017!

Screw you Apple and your walled-garden stuff!!

Why are you here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.