MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

124522-apple_tv_black.jpg

AppleInsider reports that Apple has sent emails to some customers who ordered the new Apple TV with expedited shipping, informing them that it is refunding the extra shipping charges due to a "delay" in meeting their delivery commitments.
"Our records indicate that when you placed your order you paid for upgraded shipping," Apple wrote in the emails. "Due to a delay, we may have not been able to meet our delivery commitment."

The email goes on to say that Apple has "processed a refund for the shipping charge on your order. Please contact your card-issuing bank for information on when the credit will be posted to your account."
It is unclear from the emails whether there is a delay in availability of the new models or if Apple is simply unable to provide expedited shipping for some unknown reason. Apple has in the past refunded fees for expedited shipping, such as with the original iPad launch when all customers were scheduled to receive their shipments on the same day regardless of selected shipping option, but the mention of a "delay" in the new emails suggests that something more may be going on in this situation.

Some reports have jumped on the news and the fact that Apple's online store is now showing shipping estimates of 2-3 weeks for the new Apple TV as evidence that the device is seeing a multi-week delay beyond the late September timeframe originally announced by Apple.

The changes to the Apple Store estimates affect only new orders, however, and customers who placed orders immediately after the new Apple TV was introduced continue to report that their order statuses show shipping dates of "September". In addition, customers have already been seeing credit card charges for their Apple TV orders, suggesting that shipment is indeed imminent.

Article Link: Apple Refunds Expedited Shipping Charges for New Apple TV Orders, Cites Inability to Meet 'Delivery Commitment'

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I wonder if this is due to a lack of production or an exceeded demand.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
My card was charged $106.06 yesterday by Apple. I figured this meant my new Apple TV was being shipped any moment.

I checked into this due to talk on a different forum I post on. There were at least 3 of us there that were charged yesterday for the amount of the Apple TV by Apple.

I preordered mine the moment the Apple Store came up.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
"We may have not been able to?"

It should be, "we may not be able to".. the thing hasn't shipped yet has it.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
I still don't understand why I should jump on this over keeping my current Apple TV? Anyone? I want a new cool box too...

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Apple store shows 2-3 weeks delivery for 2-3 weeks now so it's for new orders.

I pre-ordered mine on Sept 1st and the status still shows september delivery. Also my cc were charged last night. I'm ready to bet that max next friday, my atv will be pluged in my livingroom...

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
i guess there are a lot of people out there with no blu-ray player, no xbox or PS3

I've got an Xbox 360 and PS3 and am getting an Apple TV. I'm most excited for Airplay. If an App Store is announced for it, like rumored, that will cement my lust for the device. If not, Airplay is worth $99 to me.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I've got an Xbox 360 and PS3 and am getting an Apple TV. I'm most excited for Airplay. If an App Store is announced for it, like rumored, that will cement my lust for the device. If not, Airplay is worth $99 to me.

As of right now I don't see a real benefit over my Roku, but indeed if they announce the App Store I will be scrambling to order one.

nwcs

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I still don't understand why I should jump on this over keeping my current Apple TV? Anyone? I want a new cool box too...

I don't either, yet. I'm keeping my old one until there's a reason to upgrade. I doubt that the video playback is noticeably better. But if my current one dies I'll get the new one or maybe if an app store opens up for the new one.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I wonder if this is due to a lack of production or an exceeded demand.
My guess is that Apple is struggling to finalize production-quality software.

The Apple TV has not been a big seller, so I can't imagine there would be insufficient production capacity. This device doesn't seem like it would have any unusual/exotic parts, so I doubt if there's a supply chain bottleneck.

If demand exceeded supply, they would ship what preorders were already taken then increase shipping times for subsequent orders. (Just like they did with iPad and iPhone 4).

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007

Easy...if you don't understand then keep the current one.

For me, I don't want to sync or manage storage so the renting model is perfect. For the few titles that I want to own, I can store on my Mac. Add Airplay and the ability to play HD videos in 30fps from my Sony camcorder or iPhone 4, all this made me switch to the new one. For me, having a HDD in the atv is expensive for 160 GB and absolutely useless.

mmagbee

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
Tis' sad , not only did i pre-order my ATV the day it was available, but my delivery date recently has been changed:/ first it said september... now its october 21st!!

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
EXCEEDED demand. Big Time. :apple:
That make absolutely no sense. If demand has been exceeded it would only push out SOME orders not ALL orders. If Apple was going to ship on certain day it doesn't matter what the demand is as it has already produced X number of units that are ready to ship. Why would a high demand stop all units from shipping?

Cyber86

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
I got this email, but the odd thing is... I didn't order an ATV :confused:

I added it to my shopping cart along with a new iPod Touch when they were announced, but removed the ATV at the last minute before placing the order... However--that being said--I won't complain if Apple is gonna give me money...nor would I complain if an ATV showed up on my doorstep :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.