Apple Refurbished Products??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 55orangeave, Feb 2, 2009.

?

Are you For or Against Apple refurbs?

1. Super For

65.4%
  2. For

29.5%
  3. Against

3.8%
  4. Super Against

1.3%
  1. 55orangeave macrumors member

55orangeave

Does any one out there have any comments on experiences with refurbs from Apple?

I'm thinking of going refurb to save $200. Is it worth it? It comes with 1 year Applecare and the option to purchase 2 more years within the year?

Does anyone have experience with this sort of stuff?

Thanks in advance.

2. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I have a refurb MacBook and appletv. Both looked as new and work perfectly. You don't get the original packaging but I was more concerned about the warranty.
    The hd gave up on the macbook after 11 months and it was replaced no questions under warranty. I had time machine so didn't lose a thing

Based on my experience I recommend it. Actually I am waiting for a mac mini to come on refurb to replace my desktop pc

3. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

My friend got a Refrub Blackbook about a month ago. He really likes it, and got it for about 300.00 off MSRP.

4. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

When you say looked perfect. The case was in good condition? Nothing out of the ordinary?

I believe they come with 1 year Applecare, and you can buy within that year extended 2 years, is that right?

Thanks for all the help guys.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many refurb products have never been used, such as those that were built-to-order but the order was canceled. You can get AppleCare on any refurb Mac, so if anything goes wrong, you're covered, just as if you bought new. Refurbs are a great way to save $$$.
    They come with the Apple Limited Warranty, which covers it for one year. You can buy AppleCare to extend that coverage to a total of 3 years.

6. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

7. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

My father had awful luck with a MBP refurb. First the logic board started crapping out and the airport card stopped functioning and the sound also went. The replacement they sent was DOA...3rd one is ok after a week or so..

8. Turmoil macrumors regular

I picked up on a refurb Air about a month ago. It looked brand new and has so far run perfectly. It was my 1st experience buying an Apple refurb and I've been very pleased. I'd do it again.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

I have bought both a black Macbook ($450 off original list) and an iMac G5; both were perfect and you could not tell them from new. I am curently thinking about getting a late 2007 iMac as a refurb.

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

It's worth the savings. I wouldnt' hesitate. Apple stands behind the refurbs like the new ones.

11. SBA macrumors member

I just received a refurb unibody MBP today and this thing looks and runs flawlessly. It definitely feels brand new - no scratches on the case, the screen looks great, no other problems so far. If this experience turns out well, I'll definitely consider buying refurb from Apple again.

12. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I really hate to be the one to say it... but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE search before posting!!!

This questions has been asked... about 2 times a day since I joined over 2 years ago. Refurbs are great. Woo.

So.. SEARCH AND... not to mention, READ THE APPLE WEBSITE. They have the refurb policy for warranties right there!

I'm sorry, but I'm sooo tired of all these new threads for this EXACT to the LETTER topic.

Thanks.

P.S. I :Heart: Refurbs.

13. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

Sorry my bad! But I did search, and didn't find much right away. I do agree with you though, but sometimes it's better to engage people in the now opposed to trying to breath new life into an old post.

Thanks to all who shared their experiences, it would appear that refurbs are a "good thing" in the words of Martha.

Cheers

14. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Bought a refurb white macbook about four months ago. Not had a problem with it and there were no marks on the shell.

15. danny_w macrumors 601

16. AlunJ macrumors newbie

Bought my first mac - a white MacBook a few months back refurbed, better spec than the base model on the apple store and its been absolutely perfect. Theres a few light and I mean very light marks on it but other than that I love it.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've had mixed experiences with Apple refurbs.

3G iPod & PM G5 - both came in as new condition.

20" White iMac - Very poor, it was covered in scratches, had finger prints all over the screen and a cluster of dead pixels and the AirPort didn't work properly.

The iMac went back as DOA because of the AirPort. Friends of mine have all had perfect products, I think the iMac was just bad luck.

18. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

For or Against Refurbs

Here it is guys!
    The ultimate test to see what I will get in the coming weeks.

19. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You should make it into a poll. ;) I am for refurbs. I think they are a wonderful thing.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

21. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

refurbs are a beautiful thing from Apple. I can attest that I have boughten a handful of refurbished iPods directly from Apple and they have all come looking brand new (minus the shiny Apple packaging).

I say go for it; any chance Apple gives you to save a buck should be taken. Plus, it seems as though they are releasing refurbs much sooner -- I mean, even the new Unibody MBP is for sale at the refurbed store.

22. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Sometimes what you get may even be brand new, and if its not its always in brand new condition, plus you get a years warranty, and a massive money saving, so why not? :)

23. rth231 macrumors regular

24. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

it depends if the skivvies were actually used or not. If I had a way of telling, then maybe....

25. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

you'd be suprised actually which clothes are made from recycled materials.