Apple Registers Seven New iPad Models in Eurasian Database, Rumors Expect New 10-Inch iPad and iPad Mini 5 [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has registered seven unreleased iPad models in the Eurasian Economic Commission database this week, including models A2123, A2124, A2126, A2153, A2154, A2133, and A2152, according to the Indian blog MySmartPrice.

The filings are legally required for any encrypted devices sold in Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia.

[​IMG]

These models could represent new versions of the iPad mini and the 9.7-inch iPad, which may become 10 inches based on recent rumors.

Multiple sources have claimed Apple plans to launch a so-called iPad mini 5 and a new entry-level iPad with a 10-inch display, replacing the existing 9.7-inch model, including the China Times and supply chain-focused website DigiTimes. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also said a new iPad mini is in the works last year.

[​IMG]

Eurasian Economic Commission filings like these have foreshadowed the release of new Apple products on numerous occasions, including multiple iPad and iPad Pro models, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, Apple Watch Series 2 and Series 4, AirPods, the 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, and several other devices.

March is a common month for both Apple's first event of the year and iPad refreshes, so perhaps we'll see new models then.

Notably, Apple hasn't updated the iPad mini since September 2015.

Update: A seventh iPad model -- A2126 -- was also filed in the Eurasian database today.

Article Link: Apple Registers Seven New iPad Models in Eurasian Database, Rumors Expect New 10-Inch iPad and iPad Mini 5 [Updated]

2. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

An updated iPad Mini model would be huge. Not that I'm in the market for one, but I know there are a lot of consumers (mainly on here) who want an updated version of the Mini 4.

3. mcrawley macrumors member

mcrawley

4. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

I hope this rumour of a new mini isn't a massive disappointment. Using my iPhone Xs and then going back to my mini is an eyesore. Updated internals and screen, instant buy.

5. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

I actually wouldn't mind one, as a companion to my 12.9 Pro, which can be a bit unwieldy at times.

6. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Like I have been saying.. an iPad Mini cellular would be in every Uber in NYC.

7. Jerion macrumors member

Can't quite figure where a "standalone" model would fit in the regular lineup. Could be an education model though?

8. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

Only reason I haven’t gotten a Mini 4 off the Apple refurb site yet is the Mini 5 rumor. Please happen.

9. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Gogo iPad Mini with OLED display! Yeah maybe not likely, but one can dream...

10. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

MacRumors, is it not most likely that the new budget iPad will just reuse the old 10.5" Pro chassis, rather than developing a "New" 10" model? Just like the iPad 9.7" is just an iPad Air (1). I just don't see Apple justifying the development cost of a new 10" design when they have the existing molds/parts from the old 10.5.

I think the lineup will be:

- iPad Mini 7.9"
    - iPad 10.5"

- iPad Pro 11"
    - iPad Pro 12.9"

If so, the cheaper 10.5 model could be a very appealing option at the right price point.

11. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

The mythical iPad mini 5 is appearing ! Waited for this !

12. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

If the iPad 2019 is going 10.5 I hope they’ve fixed that bright spot issue that seems to happen with the Pro 10.5 by rearranging whatever needs to be rearranged.

13. csurfr macrumors 68020

Wouldn't the six model numbers equal 2 of each color? One wiFi, one cellular?

14. recoil80 macrumors 68020

"iPad mini is still an important product in our lineup"
    Make it happen please!
    They should sell a Mini and an iPad with the same SoC and just let each customer pick the right size.

15. JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

I’ve a feeling that the screen on your mini 4 is going to be superior to the new one and it most certainly won’t be as good as an Xs. I think it will be a shrunken version of the 2018 iPad with non laminated screen, etc. We’ll see I guess.

16. JLD94 macrumors member

I don't care if the bezels are larger than the pro (would give another reason to buy pro), but I am hoping for USB-C and no home button

17. busuan macrumors member

18. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

That would make the most sense, and they would put the A11 (non-x) variant in it, just like they previously did with the iPad 5th & 6th gen, which used A9 & A10 (non-x) respectively.

19. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Uber/Lyft in the millions. Not simply NYC. :apple:

20. longhorn2004 macrumors newbie

That would make sense to use the present 10.5 tooling and keep the price down. The question would be the quality of display. Keep the home button to lower costs and use USB-C since that will be the new Apple standard going forward.

21. McTool macrumors 6502

McTool

And after launch they will say they don’t want it.

22. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

"Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed in October that Apple is working on a new version of the iPad mini with an upgraded processor and a lower-cost display panel, with the device being launched in 2018 or 2019."

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I would expect nothing more than smaller version of the non-laminated display that was in the 2018 and 2017 iPad.

23. anaudiopro macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

24. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Any chance the new iPad 10” will have a Liquid Retina display perhaps?

25. now i see it macrumors 68030

The hardware as it stands today is fine. No need for new stuff. The Achilles heel of the iPad (& iPhone) is the jump-through-hoops OS.