Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
You are welcome, glad to help! Unless your workflow really needs a MacBook Pro, you may find that this new MacBook (Air) replacement is all that you need. Counting down the days and hours now.

I would but I really need MBP for heavy Photoshop, LR and Album Design.
And top this with FCP X and Linux & Windows on VM.... so yes.... MBP with 32 GB Ram for sure....

Currently I have a rMBP 13 2015 and it's slow in PS.
I had an iMac which died out of warranty so I had to do a Hackintosh temporarily which runs pretty darn smooth although I cannot upgrade to Mojave due to Nvidia not having updated WebDrivers.
One Mac Mini 2012 core i7 used mainly for Plex and File Sharing & Backups - not planning to upgrade now since it's behaving nice.

So now, I need a portable machine on the filed with some horse power under the hood and I am itching in every place you can imagine for these new MBP 2008. They look super sexy and behave incredibly well.

Anyway, it's better to wait 1 week for my salary to kick in so I don't have to go on my credit card to such a large minus :)

Reactions: Zdigital2015

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
There’s a 28-core W-series Xeon now, W-3175X. Could easily be a $10+k part though. It has a high TDP so Apple would need a custom SKU if they decide to add a 28-core CPU to the lineup. Using lower-binned parts and locked to a lower frequency I could see pricing around $4k.

Considering that probably the closest analog to the 3175x is the Xeon Platinum 8180, which costs $10,000.00, according to the ARK, uses a FCPGA-3467 socket and Intel recommends liquid cooling, how and if it ends up in the Mac Pro lineup is definitely intriguing to me. I looked for pricing on the 3175X and Intel is being coy on just how much we can expect to see it retail for when it is released. I would think anywhere between $4,000 and $5,000 USD is realistic, especially given the price tag for what is now the rather mild Core i9-9980XE, which should come in at around $2,000 - $2,500 when it is released.

I can see Apple possibly using the Xeon Gold CPUs, which would gracefully support 2 CPU versions, but the TDP is 200w for the Gold 6154, so you are looking at 800w just to support two Xeon Golds and a Radeon Vega 64. I think people are going to be shocked when the pricing of a single CPU Mac Pro with a Vega 64, 48GB of DRAM and a 1TB SSD starts at $5000 with no monitor and just goes up from there.

Fun times ahead!
[doublepost=1540412151][/doublepost]
Only that Apple will be going out of business soon, and should just return the money for their stock purchases back to the investors...

Surely cannot wait to ask those people how much Dell tracking stock they currently own...

Reactions: MacsRuleOthersDrool

Niklas_nick

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2016
It’s too soon for this. I can’t imagine a reality where they’d drop an update so soon. The last time it was even close to that close I believe was the early 2013 to late 2013.

Update : I stand corrected. Still... we’d be looking at a twice as soon update as the lowest one to date.

There aren’t really newer processors out and storage and ram will probably keep the same options, so if a new tbMBP gets released, it must have some other update - maybe new trackpads to work with a new pencil? Which would also fit into the arts theme with the logos and the location.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
There aren’t really newer processors out and storage and ram will probably keep the same options, so if a new tbMBP gets released, it must have some other update - maybe new trackpads to work with a new pencil? Which would also fit into the arts theme with the logos and the location.
Like a mid 2014 to mid 2015 upgrade but without the CPU (added force touch and faster SSDs I think). We'll see, wont we.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Apple made them from aluminum. They looked pretty nice.
They looked gorgeous and were very good at what they were supposed to be good. Unlike the last attempt at reinventing the wheel innovated by Phil Schiller’s ass.
[doublepost=1540417945][/doublepost]
Maybe new keyboards?

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
They looked gorgeous and were very good at what they were supposed to be good. Unlike the last attempt at reinventing the wheel innovated by Phil Schiller’s ass.
[doublepost=1540417945][/doublepost]
Maybe new keyboards?
Im more a promoter than detractor of Apple and I try to call them like I see them. That being said, a 100 day release cycle for MBP will have 2018 buyers *rabid*.

Reactions: jwdsail and navaira

homegrownhero

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2017
So I forgot how this works.
Does each variant have their own numbers (i.e an i7 would have a different number than an i5) or no? Because if they do then those 4 numbers can be wasted so fast for things other than the Mac Mini and its variants.

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
Considering that probably the closest analog to the 3175x is the Xeon Platinum 8180, which costs $10,000.00, according to the ARK, uses a FCPGA-3467 socket and Intel recommends liquid cooling, how and if it ends up in the Mac Pro lineup is definitely intriguing to me. I looked for pricing on the 3175X and Intel is being coy on just how much we can expect to see it retail for when it is released. I would think anywhere between $4,000 and $5,000 USD is realistic, especially given the price tag for what is now the rather mild Core i9-9980XE, which should come in at around $2,000 - $2,500 when it is released.

I can see Apple possibly using the Xeon Gold CPUs, which would gracefully support 2 CPU versions, but the TDP is 200w for the Gold 6154, so you are looking at 800w just to support two Xeon Golds and a Radeon Vega 64. I think people are going to be shocked when the pricing of a single CPU Mac Pro with a Vega 64, 48GB of DRAM and a 1TB SSD starts at $5000 with no monitor and just goes up from there.

Fun times ahead!
[doublepost=1540412151][/doublepost]

Surely cannot wait to ask those people how much Dell tracking stock they currently own...
it does not need to start with an 1TB SSD or an upper range video card.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
it does not need to start with an 1TB SSD or an upper range video card.
It’s a Mac Pro, and Apple has already set a precedent with the iMac Pro, so I expect those will be the bare minimum specs (48GB/1TB SSD), although a Vega 56 might be the base GPU instead.

The $5000 USD base price is a given, however. I expect a base CPU of 10-cores, maybe 12.
[doublepost=1540426560][/doublepost]
intel --> amd is a very small change vs X86-64 ---> arm

iOS is based on macOS already, macOS ran on a PowerPC, which is a RISC-based CPU, so its not really a big change at all. The puzzle pieces are all in place...it is just a matter of time until Apple can replace most, if not all of Intel’s CPU offerings. It may take several years. Right now, this is all in a state of flux.

One thing that is not in flux is that Apple is never going to switch to AMD CPUs.

Last edited:

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
I think that audio out is likely, and maybe even audio in.

SD is stupid. Especially since they insisted on putting it on the BACK, for aesthetic reasons (IMHO).

Either 2 USB-C/TB3 and 2 USB-A, like the iMac 2017, or 4 USB-C/TB3 and no USB-A, like the MBPs.

HDMI would be nice. And it would make up for the fact that the mini doesn't have an integrated Display. So, a mini could potentially drive FIVE 4k monitors, or TWO 5k monitors and a 4k.

That'd be REALLY nice for Development, and for FCP and Logic...

I have never been able to get the SD card into the slot without turning the iMac to the side...the 2010 iMac I had before with the SD card on the side was infinitely more convenient...and visible, but I digress.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I have never been able to get the SD card into the slot without turning the iMac to the side...the 2010 iMac I had before with the SD card on the side was infinitely more convenient...and visible, but I digress.
You have to reach around and feel for the slot...then insert. ;)

98winds

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2016
Applause... you'll have.

The problem is hearing multiple orgasms at every few sentences. Please, Apple staff, behave. Wait 'till after the event for your virtual orgy.

Thank You.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
So I forgot how this works.
Does each variant have their own numbers (i.e an i7 would have a different number than an i5) or no?

Each case design gets an A-number. The iMacs have been on the same numbers since the last major case redesign. The 2017's even kept the same numbers even though the port configuration changed slightly. Conversely, the 2018 MBPs got new numbers even though externally there should have been no change - perhaps something with the new keyboard revision called for a new case number.

The filing includes all existing models. All we know about existing model numbers is that Apple won't discontinue any of them without intending to ship at least some product with Mojave preinstalled.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Each case design gets an A-number. The iMacs have been on the same numbers since the last major case redesign. The 2017's even kept the same numbers even though the port configuration changed slightly. Conversely, the 2018 MBPs got new numbers even though externally there should have been no change - perhaps something with the new keyboard revision called for a new case number.

The filing includes all existing models. All we know about existing model numbers is that Apple won't discontinue any of them without intending to ship at least some product with Mojave preinstalled.
So in other words these filings do indicate something new about the Macbook Pro?? My sense is that its to indicate that they now ship with Mojave. Was this your meaning?

and - https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/24/appl...-eurasian-database-ahead-of-october-30-event/

Last edited:

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
We need a 2018 version of this event.

apple-back-to-the-mac-img01-544px.jpg
What, the release of Apple's version of Windows Vista?

Reactions: navaira

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
When I just clicked on the link it came up as a MacBook Pro 15”

You have to select the "size". The installed pictures are on a variety of models: One is on a rMB12, while another seems to be a MBP13 of some sort.

Interestingly, this listing also has another unknown A-number: A1931. This was listed in Apple's previous filing earlier this year, but never used. This appears to be an alternate number for the rMB12.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Are the new products available to order right after the event on October 30th?
[doublepost=1540464847][/doublepost]
The model designations:
A1989: MBP13 w/TB 2018

This is the model I have. Wondering why would they update a model that was last updated about three months ago? :confused::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.