Apple Registers Two More iPad Models in Eurasian Database

pipis2010

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2015
Greece
I would like a bezel less iPad mini :)
It's coming...
[doublepost=1564395849][/doublepost]They
hope for an iPad Pro. I would have bought one of this year's new iPad mini and 10.5-inch iPad Air but the compatibility with the old pencil only was a bit too limiting. Now I really hope to get an iPad with an A13X processor.
Apple can't seem to get everything right... they had to "butcher" the cheaper ipads with the compatibility of the 1st generation pencil - why did they do that? Why not have compatibility for both pencils?

fathergll

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2014
Prob right about the iPad Pro, I’ve noticed that the first one has been going on sale lately.

I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a new pro with the sales going on and now I'm on the fence to wait it out.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
All I want is a 8.5-8.8” iPad mini with slim bezels and the same squared off design we got last year. Is that too much to ask for?
Apple is milking that stale design on the mini for how long now? 6 years?

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors regular
May 22, 2015
Give me an updated pro with stronger aluminum that doesnt bend when you look at it funny, and i'll seriously consiter getting one.

I love the new pros, but ive returned all 3 that ive owned because ive been scared as hell to use them even in high end cases.

So i settled on a 256 gig Mini 5 and i love it, but i want a 12.9 pro that i can put in a Brydge Keyboard and use as a hybrid laptop tablet and not worry about it bending. Give me that and ill save up and get one!

Reactions: deaglecat

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Size aside, I think Apple needs to simplify iPad line-up.

For most people, there's not enough compelling differences between iPad Air and iPad. They mostly boil down to A12 vs. A10, laminated P3 True Tone 10.5" display vs. non-laminated 9.7" display, and support for Smart Keyboard. Most buyers are probably going with $170 cheaper 9.7" iPad or spend $300 more for 11" iPad Pro.

Replacing iPad Air and iPad with a single 10.2" model makes a great deal of sense, which hopefully would maintain existing 9.7" iPad pricing level while adopting some of the 10.5" iPad Air benefits. Apple would be wise to use this opportunity to replace Lightning with USB-C as well.

Reactions: Ankaa

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
If 11” is only slightly too large, a mini would be much too small. In any case, I can’t imagine the market for an iPad mini Pro is large enough to make it feasible. The entire mini demand is already small enough that Apple only bothers to update it at 3+ year intervals. The verticals that use a lot of minis—doctors/nurses, point of sale, pilots, etc. don’t need a Pro device.

But to answer your question, you can make suggestions at:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html
coming from the mini4 i got used to it after a couple weeks. If the mini5 is any indication...the next time its refreshed it may finally get the 11" features from today but 3 years from now lol
I'm coming from a Mini Gen 1 (long retired). We do have an 11" iPad Pro - but I hardly use it, I just don't like the size.

It's the same with the iPhones. Apple tailors the smaller devices as entry-level devices, hence cheaper. They fail to realize that there is a demographic who wants the same features, just in a smaller form factor. Ever thought of why there might not be so much demand for the mini as it is? Because people who want certain features have no choice than to upgrade to the larger models....similar reasons why the iPhone C wasn't as big of a hit. If there wasn't demand for a Mini, they wouldn't have introduced it way back to begin with. Because the initial reasoning too was "You need a certain size to enjoy the iPad".

At Apple, Bigger is always better....

So. I may not need the Pro Power, but that's the reason I have to forgo FaceID and ApplePencil2?

Haust

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
And that’s another point which shows the line is too fragmented. Developers don’t support all screen sizes.
Precisely! And the developers are only required to update 1 device, iPhone or iPad. At lease that’s my understanding. If Apple is going to introduce varying aspect ratios, the developers should have to make it fit for them all.

Reactions: Mactendo

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I'm coming from a Mini Gen 1 (long retired). We do have an 11" iPad Pro - but I hardly use it, I just don't like the size.

It's the same with the iPhones. Apple tailors the smaller devices as entry-level devices, hence cheaper. They fail to realize that there is a demographic who wants the same features, just in a smaller form factor. Ever thought of why there might not be so much demand for the mini as it is? Because people who want certain features have no choice than to upgrade to the larger models....similar reasons why the iPhone C wasn't as big of a hit. If there wasn't demand for a Mini, they wouldn't have introduced it way back to begin with. Because the initial reasoning too was "You need a certain size to enjoy the iPad".

At Apple, Bigger is always better....

So. I may not need the Pro Power, but that's the reason I have to forgo FaceID and ApplePencil2?
Apple tries to satisfy the most customers possible while keeping the number of models to a (relatively) manageable number.

The iPad lineup has three feature tiers—entry level, mid (Air), high end (Pro); and essentially three sizes: mini (8”), medium (~10.5”, +/-) and large (13”). If all three feature tiers were available at all three sizes, there would be nine models instead of five. Carrying nine models is not a likely scenario, but Apple offers the combinations that research indicates will satisfy the most customers:
  • Entry tier—medium size only
  • Mid tier—mini and medium sizes
  • Pro tier—medium and large sizes
Yes, there are some customers that will want the four models that are not available. But potential sales just aren’t sufficient to support all nine combinations. Note the most popular size is available in all three feature tiers, resulting in quite a large price spread: $329/499/799 for iPad/iPad Air/iPad Pro.

re: the iPhone lineup, the smallest size (5.8”) has the highest feature set so that doesn’t lend support to your argument.