Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past few months, Apple has been preparing itself for product launches later in the year by registering several new iPads, iPhones, and Macs with the Eurasian Economic Commission. The filings are legally required for any products that include encryption features and are to be sold in Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia, making them good indicators of products coming down the line.

Earlier in July, Apple registered five tablet models, including A1876, A1934, A1979, A2013 and A2014, but today Consomac discovered recent authorization for two new tablets: A1895 and A1980. Most of these are expected to be models of Apple's 2018 refresh of the iPad Pro.

ipadproconcept.jpg
2018 iPad Pro concept by Álvaro Pabesio

Later this year we're expected to see a major update to the iPad Pro with design elements from the iPhone X, like slimmer bezels, faster processor, and a TrueDepth front-facing camera with Face ID support. This means that the 2018 iPad Pro models are also expected to drop support for the home button for the first time on Apple's line of tablets.

The 2018 iPad Pro refresh is predicted to come in two sizes, measuring 11 inches and 12.9 inches, according to recent report by Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. With two size tiers and a Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi + Cellular, and potentially a special Cellular model for China, there would be just one model number left over from the seven EEC filings.

While this could be an additional model of the iPad Pro we don't yet know about, it could also relate to a model of iPad not in the Pro family, including the iPad mini 5. A rumor from May 2017 suggested the mini lineup was being discontinued, but over a year later Apple has yet to officially make such a commitment to ending the line.

eec_registrations_20180712.jpg

Consomac's other findings relate to model numbers previously reported, including 11 model numbers for smartphones and five model numbers for laptops, two of which we now know were the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar refresh launched yesterday. For MacBook, this leaves three other models with a potential launch in 2018, perhaps indicating cheaper, entry-level MacBooks without the Touch Bar.

Today's filings also include 11 existing iPhone models listed as running iOS 12, including the iPhone SE and iPhone X, two devices Apple has been rumored to possibly be discontinuing with the release of the new lineup. It's unclear, however, if their inclusion is confirmation that Apple will continue selling them.

Of course, it's difficult to obtain any information based solely on model numbers, so at this point those looking forward to new iPads and iPhones this year can at least know that the devices are a few months away.

Article Link: Apple Registers Two More Unreleased iPad Models in Eurasia

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
I really hope this is a mini 5. I'm a pilot and the mini is the perfect size to mount on the yoke of an aircraft... the other models are just too big. It is also the perfect size and aspect ratio to hold an approach plate. The whole pilot community here is carrying around iPad mini 4s and I'm sure we'd all like to see an upgrade.

daio

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Germany
An iPad without a bezel is the most ridiculous idea ever, how would you ever be able to hold it in one hand? I often false tap whilst holding the screen of my iPad 10.5" model. Even less bezels will spell the end of the iPad, mark my words. I can’t believe this rumor is still outing the wild

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Really, how would you hold one of those? I've been paying attention to how I hold/pickup my ol' Air and I don't get how I would hold something without bezels in some circumstances. A lot of the time I'm either holding it like a waiter delivering a platter, or with both hands on either end, but not all the time.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
How come Ming is saying the 10.5” ipad pro will become an 11” model while the 12.9” ipad pro will stay the same? If Apple is slimming the bezels but increasing the screen size, shouldn’t the 12.9” ipad pro become a 13.5” model...just like they did last year with the first iphone X? Or Maybe the 12.9” model will keep the bezels for now and just get updated internals...kinda like how Apple released the iphone 8 & 8 plus alongside the iphone X. Hmm. Food for thought. Talk amongst yourselves people.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Really, how would you hold one of those? I've been paying attention to how I hold/pickup my ol' Air and I don't get how I would hold something without bezels in some circumstances. A lot of the time I'm either holding it like a waiter delivering a platter, or with both hands on either end, but not all the time.

I hold mine in portrait by the sides just fine, so at the very least the bezels can be that thick all around. I don't think I use the whole bezel up either, so it could go thinner.

There's also software rejection of accidental touches, perhaps augmented by machine learning on-device. Failing that, there's no reason they couldn't let the screen go all the way to the edge but not the touch sensors. Would just be something for UI designers to bear in mind.

Reactions: NMBob

upup

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2017
An iPad without a bezel is the most ridiculous idea ever, how would you ever be able to hold it in one hand? I often false tap whilst holding the screen of my iPad 10.5" model. Even less bezels will spell the end of the iPad, mark my words. I can’t believe this rumor is still outing the wild
They have special software with was on mini and air, for not registering this touches

Sorry for my English

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I was hoping they'd leave the physical sizes the same and change the screens/bezels. A 14"+ iPad in the 12.9" body, or a ~12" in the 10.5 body would be awesome.
They will, the but it won’t be around 12” in a 10.5” body, it will be 11” as Kuo says. As for the 12.9”, it will be larger. I have no idea why he didn’t say this in the report but I suspect he has no information on the specific sizes perhaps. Kind of indicated by the fact that he rounded down the 11” slightly.

Reactions: RyanInBinary

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
I really hope this is a mini 5. I'm a pilot and the mini is the perfect size to mount on the yoke of an aircraft... the other models are just too big. It is also the perfect size and aspect ratio to hold an approach plate. The whole pilot community here is carrying around iPad mini 4s and I'm sure we'd all like to see an upgrade.

This this this.

I realize aviation is a tiny, tiny market and Apple will never release a product just for pilots, but iPad adoption was fast and widespread in this community (exceedingly high market share for iPad specifically). Probably more so than any other group I can think of.

I'm still using a Mini 2 which is just crawling along... but I can't bear to upgrade to a 4 until I know for sure a 5 is never coming. Even outside the cockpit it's the perfect size for reading, in my opinion.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Would new desktop machines need to be registered like this?

EDIT: Nevermind, the article states that it's for every product that includes encryption features so to answer my own question, yes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.