Apple Rejects Valve's Steam Link App Due to 'Business Conflicts'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It looks like Valve's planned Steam Link app for iOS devices isn't coming after all, because Apple has rejected the app due to "business conflicts."

In a statement, Valve said that Apple initially approved Steam Link for release on May 7, but ultimately decided to reject the app because of conflicts that had not been recognized by the original review team.
    Valve's appeals have not been successful at the current point in time, and the company is now hoping that media attention may spur Apple to change its mind.

The Steam Link app for iOS, which was announced on May 9, is designed to allow Steam users to play their Steam games on an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV using either a 5GHz WiFi network or a wired Ethernet connection to a host PC or Mac.

Valve was planning to launch the Steam Link app this week, and Valve had worked to add Steam Link support for the Steam Controller and Made for iPhone controllers ahead of the app's debut.

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, our sister site TouchArcade was able to go hands-on with the Steam Link app and said that it works so well that "it feels like there's some kind of actual wizardry powering it all." In what might have been a bit prescient, TouchArcade editor-in-chief Eli Hodapp said he was "dumbfounded" Apple was allowing it given how good the gaming experience was.
    As Valve says, there are many other remote access-style apps available in the App Store, so the reasoning behind Apple's decision is unclear. It is not known if Apple will ultimately end up reversing its position on the Steam Link app given the media attention, which has happened in the past, but we've reached out to the company for a comment.

Article Link: Apple Rejects Valve's Steam Link App Due to 'Business Conflicts'

2. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

Pretend this is a “boo this man! Boooooo!” Gif. That is all.

3. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

Any Corp is gonna protect their turf. I'd make the same decision.

4. Williesleg macrumors regular

I love Apple, always looking out for the consumer. Thanks Timmy Cook. BTW I love the new watch bands!

5. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

7. tophr macrumors newbie

tophr

There goes my "Apple's gonna buy Valve" conspiracy theory

8. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

basically lets you remotely play your computer games on your handheld device. like screen sharing.

9. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

Can't have silly ole' Valve eating into those App Store profits, now...

10. mazz0, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018

mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Not very surprising is it? If they remove the functionality to buy games within the app I think Apple might reconsider.

I must say though, this is the first time I’ve ever been remotely tempted to switch to Android.

Edit: The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. What are the potential users of this app (ie, people who play PC games) more likely to do - forget about PC games and buy Angry Birds 15 instead, or move to Android and continue playing PC games now with the ability to stream them to their iPadwannabes? I know what I think is more likely, and it doesn’t increase revenues for APPL. Even the probable most common outcome, that people continue playing PC games without the ability to steam to their iPad is neutral for Apple - there’s no benefit for them in any outcome.

11. Reapro macrumors newbie

Rejecting a great app like Steam Link, wow what a move again. They should be ashamed. Good thing I own an Sony with Android TV. I don't even know what they're whining about. This is all about playing AAA games on your iPhone, iPad or Apple TV instead of these crap games in the App Store.

12. Kiro macrumors member

Kiro

13. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

14. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

15. kronusdark macrumors member

kronusdark

This is BS, what about Moonlight?
    What about all of those streaming desktop apps?

16. expiredyogurt macrumors regular

expiredyogurt

this is one of the times where a lawsuit will be for a genuine cause. how can apple approve it and brought the hopes up of the people and the company then crush it down just like that. the original review team should all get fired for being a lazy bum that doesn't do their job properly. not only did steam announced it, they even went ahead and spent money developing the tech for the app and now it got pulled.

17. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

The year is 2018 and Apple is still being petty about the app store. My goodness.

18. pablius macrumors newbie

Signed up just to say I´m done with Apple, I was looking forward to this, what a stupid decision, it would add so much value to the Apple TV, how idiotic can Apple be?

19. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Protect their turf... from what exactly?

This is just a (well made) LAN gameplay app. None of the games are available on iOS.

20. dooganau macrumors newbie

I can't wait till the remove Spotify citing "Business Conflicts"...

21. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

I guess their business calculation is, if you play steam games through their link app, you might not buy native iOS games. If that's the case it'd be quite lame of Apple but not surprising coming from Tim Cook's vision of a profit-greedy-driven Apple above core ethical values.

22. tubular macrumors 6502

tubular

23. Konigi macrumors member

Konigi

Really disappointing decision. Less freedom for the users.

24. gim macrumors 6502

gim

Gotta protect all those garbage apps in the AppStore, especially their precious pay2win revenue, from being cannabalized by actual real games.