Apple released W10 BootCamp support ( BootCamp 6 ) - no support for systems before 2012

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macenied, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

Can someone post the BootCamp 6 package modified to work on a Mac Pro 5,1 / Windows 10 x64?
    (I don't want to have to install Mega or sign up for an account.) Thanks!

2. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sorry to dredge up this old point. I tried this on my mid-2011 21.5" iMac and I still get the error box saying the iMac needs to be running Windows 7. All LaunchConditions have been removed from BootCamp.msi and AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi so I'm stumped as to where this is coming from.

4. ifraaank macrumors regular

ifraaank

I would also like the links for BootCamp 6 modified to run on older hardware. I really can't remember what I did to make BootCamp 6 as well as the volume controls work on my Mac Pro 5,1...

5. Braintrash, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

Braintrash macrumors newbie

So many people having the same problem: TL;DR.

At first, I wanted to not help them and let them suffer because their laziness is a choice of them.-, but, well, some people are honestly lost at it, so here is the solution for everyone, for once and all. Share the word without limit.

1. **** Orca. You don't need it.

2. BootCamp 6 download link: http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...3x20i5ge93l2yu869yegn222i8l/AppleBcUpdate.exe
    (There may be more recent versions and if you have the link, please share it here. But that version works on unsupported hardware, which is fine enough.)

3. You don't want to install all drivers, but just the ones you need. To do this, after uncompressing AppleBcUpdate.exe, just delete the folders containing the drivers' installers.
    (On a personal note, I just put the BootCamp.msi file on my desktop. Faster and easier, and I had everything I needed working.)

4. Once you are ready, open a Command line window as an administrator (it won't work otherwise) and navigate to the BootCamp.msi file and type the following command: msiexec /i Bootcamp.msi
    (This command also works with BootCamp 5 and any software.)

5. Don't mind the error message(s), it won't stop the installation and is normal since you deleted the unneeded drivers. You're done. Wasn't was hard, was it?

All of this worked fine for me using a MacBook Pro 2010 with El Capitan (since, upgraded to Sierra) and installing Windows 7 via BootCamp and then upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and upgrading BootCamp to version 6 using the provided link. Everything running without issue.

6. ifraaank macrumors regular

ifraaank

Now that's the solution I was looking for. Thank you, greatly appreciated!

7. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I did this but I'm having the following issue:

when I hit the macbook keyboard display brightness buttons, the display brightness icon appears on the screen as normal, but the display itself does not change brightness.

Similarly my volume buttons initiate the icon on the display, but my speakers still don't work, and there is a red LED light in my headphone jack.

How do I get this all working?

My display driver is provided by microsoft, and I can't find the name of the apple supplied display driver if any.

8. jannisl macrumors newbie

I installed BootCamp 6 for my MacPro and everything works perfectly except my MagicMouse2. It connects automatically and works but I cant scroll with it.

Does anybody know a fix for this?

9. star-affinity, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Do you remember how you installed Windows 10 on the MacPro5,1 in the first place?

I did it once and had it running satisfactory with my non-flashed GTX 970 but it seems my Windows 10 installation got broken (at least bootwise) on my computer after I (temporarily for testing purposes) switched to my ”Mac EFI” ATI Radeon 5870 that came with the computer. After having used that when booting into Windows 10 and then switching back to my non-flashed GTX 970 I couldn't boot into Windows anymore. ”Legacy mode not supported on this computer” or something came up when I tried to fiddle with things in the Terminal. Now I'm at the stage where I have re-installed Windows 10 from scratch (using the ATI GPU) and with UEFI boot, but as soon as switched to my NVIDIA GPU I get ”no boot device found” when trying to boot Windows. So Windows UEFI boot on a Mac requires a ”Mac EFI” GPU it seems?

10. enri1357, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

enri1357 macrumors newbie

The original questions about screen brightness has been fixed, because it is actually working automatically.

My new questions is anybody notice the machine is always in Turbo Boost mode?

My 2011 i7 Macbook Air normal clock at 1.8Ghz, but under Windows, it only work at turbo boost speed bewterrn 2.6 - 2.9Ghz (2.9 is max on spec)

Even the usage is less than 10%. This makes the system hot when working. On idle, it is about the same temp as in Mac idle

11. doynton macrumors 6502

Is that good or bad?

What does your task manager say it is doing?

This is from my 2013 rMBP as I write this (memory is high because of idling VMs but basically it is doing nothing).

Capture.PNG

And this is my 2006 MBP also Windows 10 CU.

Capture.PNG

Both have bootcamp 6 drivers installed.

The only unusual thing I had to do on the old one was install audio drivers from an old 4.1 version of bootcamp to turn the red light on the headphone socket off.

I also undervolted the T7400 on my old MBP to 0.9750v with ThrottleStop which dropped its temps by 15°C. You could try that if your CPU allows it. My i5 would not but it is a huge improvement if you can.

MBPs (well all laptops really) have crap cooling. At least the old ones still work with the latest Windows.

As you can see, neither is running full tilt. Please, post a picture, I'd be interested.

12. enri1357, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

enri1357 macrumors newbie

I am not entirely sure if it is good or bad. On heat side, I just found it hot when Win Defender scan the system, reaching 100 C, on Battery side, I am not sure if this will eat up more energy.

I did not see the task manager when I post the previous, but definitely strange as the Max shown in my view is not like yours - it show my Max is the normal no-turbo max speed

-- edit--
    no sure why, the problem solved by itself, strange

13. uruiamme macrumors newbie

I have an update to this thread. I saw an old Reddit post that mentions a way to find the latest AppleBcUpdate.exe.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bootcamp/comments/4mtrhk/bootcamp_update_for_windows_10_applebcupdateexe/

Go to this page, download it, and change the file extension to XML.
    Link to XML: http://swcatalog.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-windows-1.sucatalog

I opened it in Programmer's Notepad. Anyway, search through the links. Search for the current year (2017, or whatever it is, future people).

I found a recent update in there, toward the bottom, right above the <date>2017-07-19T20:45:06Z</date>. So this URL is http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...b5a217mas0unfy67lj8hpw6qfn5/AppleBcUpdate.exe

I hope that gets my Mac Pro 1,1 up and going!

Oh, I am here because of a quirk in Boot Camp's executable that may be running at startup on my Mac Pro running Windows 10 Enterprise 1703. I am hoping an update will fix this error found in the Application log. (This PC has had bad hard disk sectors)

Faulting application name: Bootcamp.exe, version: 6.0.6201.0, time stamp: 0x55b6b599
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000
    Faulting process id: 0x1afc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d318d108908f60
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Boot Camp\Bootcamp.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: 32251e36-2941-4ddb-b258-835536290711

14. BrownGremlin macrumors newbie

Ok so I have installed windows 10 onto my MacBook Pro (13" early 2011), yes I know it is unsupported. It works perfectly!!!
    I installed the BootCamp Drivers from BootCamp5.1.5621 and that sorted out any initial problems I had after installing windows 10.

Now I would like to install the newer drivers from BootCamp5.1.5640 and/or BootCamp5.1.5769 But when I try to run the setup for these drivers I get

"This version of Boot Camp is not intended for this computer model"

I have tried using CMD administrator and opening that way but I get

"The system cannot find the path specified"

I have double and triple checked the path and its correct so I am confused as to why I can't get them to run.

On top of all of this I have been trying to run PUBG via stream and when I try to open it I get

"DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine"

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

I am currently running windows 10 on my:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

BootCamp5.1

I fully understand that Macs are not the greatest to run games and that my old ass macbook pro is even worse. Some people will be shacking their heads in disbelief that I am even trying.
    I also understand that my mac doesn't meet the required minimum stats to run PUBG and that my windows 10 is not supported on my old ass mac.

All that aside I still want to try and install the newer/est drivers via bootcamp and find some way to get PUBG running (I don't care if the fps are running incredibly slow)

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

ps. telling me to buy a new mac or pc isn't helpful.

15. uruiamme, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017

uruiamme macrumors newbie

I would like to state that this process is confusing and not intuitive. Apple has some huge 1 GB files to download with super similar files and different supported models. This thread helped me realize that the issue I am having may not be fixable, and that there are ".DIST" files which explain which large executable to download.

Everything on this page, especially the post that I direct link to, is instructive. https://discussions.apple.com/message/30525907#message30525907

The gist of it is this: peruse a DIST file in an XML viewer or reader. I pick the ones with "English" in the name. I use Programmer's Notepad or most browsers will view it. Look at the list of models or the version of software it updates (like Quicktime or Audio Drivers).

This is the latest DIST file for the latest version of AppleBcUpdate.exe ... it explains that my old Mac is not supported. http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...7mas0unfy67lj8hpw6qfn5/091-00973.English.dist

Since I have a Mac Pro 2,1 (originally a 1,1) I am going to try some of the ones for later Mac Pros and see whether I can get my error resolved on the latest version of Windows (1703). It appears to be impossible at this point. I would add that this old Mac Pro is quite a bit faster than many of my more standard PCs, especially the laptops. I haven't even bothered to install an SSD in it, yet. It's at least as fast as most i3 or i5 machines.

16. uruiamme macrumors newbie

My solution to the updating of Windows 10 and breaking Boot Camp 6.0 seems to be resolved. I found the program at C:\Program Files\Boot Camp and right-clicked it, Properties, Compatibility, Run compatibility Troubleshooter. Surprisingly enough, this worked. It automatically chose Windows 8 compatibility mode.

The program runs now, but I don't seem to have the control panel applet. It looks like I may need to do a re-install and watch my Ps and Qs about compatibility and/or run Orca.