Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
To be clear - there is no need to install Boot Camp 6 drivers on cMP to get Windows 10 working properly?

I've installed Boot Camp 5 drivers on Windows 7 before I did the upgrade to Windows 10, and at the moment BC 5 drivers seem to work fine.

My MacBook Pro mid 2010 13" ( 7,1 ) is working perfect with Windows 10 Pro and the BootCamp 5.1 drivers. No issues. I don´t use the BC 5 applehfs.sys driver though. This driver caused Windows VSS errors.

Reactions: Synchro3

FusionDawg

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
How did you remove Boot Camp 4? I tried to uninstall from Programs and Features and its telling me I need to be running Windows 7...

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Escenkay, you also need to remove the LaunchConditions from your cache installation file.
You will want to search your registry (regedit) to determine which installer package to update for BC 4.

Run "regedit" and do a search for "www.apple.com/support/bootcamp"

You will find it in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\...

You should find an entry for "Boot Camp Services"

What you want to look for is "LocalPackage" which should point to "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\xxxxx.msi" where "xxxxx" is some random file name. Modify the launch conditions in that msi.

The reason why you are seeing the "Windows 7" message when trying to install BC6 is because the installer is trying to uninstall BC4.

Another location for the BC4 installer cache is in "C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache", but I didn't find making changes to that making any difference. The one you want to modify is in "C:\Windows\Installer"

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I did not review this entire thread before posting...

I was looking into installing Windows 10 (via Bootcamp) on my early 2011 15" MBP with AMD Radeon HD6750M graphics with the hope of eking out a bit of a gaming performance improvement. The benefit would be DX12. My understanding is that W10 could be installed on this hardware, but based on this link: AMD drivers for Win 10 & AMD cards supporting DX12 that my card does not support DX12, so I'm thinking there is no real benefit and I should just stick with W7.

Thoughts? Thanks! :)

escenkay

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
Escenkay, you also need to remove the LaunchConditions from your cache installation file.
You will want to search your registry (regedit) to determine which installer package to update for BC 4.

Run "regedit" and do a search for "www.apple.com/support/bootcamp"

You will find it in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\...

You should find an entry for "Boot Camp Services"

What you want to look for is "LocalPackage" which should point to "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\xxxxx.msi" where "xxxxx" is some random file name. Modify the launch conditions in that msi.

The reason why you are seeing the "Windows 7" message when trying to install BC6 is because the installer is trying to uninstall BC4.

Another location for the BC4 installer cache is in "C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache", but I didn't find making changes to that making any difference. The one you want to modify is in "C:\Windows\Installer"

Hey, I didn't see this reply until now. I will try to this when I get home today. Thank you for taking to time to help me. I will post back with results~~

Cheers,

escenkay

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
Hey, I didn't see this reply until now. I will try to this when I get home today. Thank you for taking to time to help me. I will post back with results~~

Cheers,

I found the CACHE .msi and modified the launch conidtions. Just tried to run BootCamp.msi (6) and its giving me

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'BootCamp64.msi' in the box below."

I've tried everything from renaming BootCamp.msi to BootCamp64.msi to copying BootCamp64.msi from an old flash drive I used to install Windows 7 and still not working.

Any advice?

Last edited:

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
To be clear - there is no need to install Boot Camp 6 drivers on cMP to get Windows 10 working properly?

I've installed Boot Camp 5 drivers on Windows 7 before I did the upgrade to Windows 10, and at the moment BC 5 drivers seem to work fine.

After I upgraded I lost the functionality of the 'F' keys on my keyboard, play pause etc. I just grabbed my USB drive with the Boot Camp 5 drivers on it, installed them again and it all came back. Not sure why folks are making more work of this than necessary.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
I downloaded the 1.3gig bootcamp 6.0 file, and Orca.

Copied out the bootcamp.msi file.
Used Orca to edit it, and remove the 3 launch conditions.

I still had bootcamp 5.1 installed on my MacPro 5,1 with Win10Pro. Everything was working fine except for the known problems caused by applehfs.sys.

I ran the modified bootcamp.msi. It threw some errors, about missing packages, since all the secondary drivers were not with it, but it did install properly.

The new bootcamp control panel does show as 6.0, and the disk problems have stopped it seems. No problems so far.

Does the MacPro 5,1 only need bootcamp.msi to update the control panel and hfs file?
Since the other drivers in bootcamp 6 are for other macs, are any of them useful on the 5,1 tower?

This is my driver install order:
Install bootcamp 5.1 first with its driver package
Uninstall bootcamp driver for realtek audio
Download and install Realtek HD Audio R2.79 64bit audio driver
Uninstall bootcamp driver for nvidia
Download and install newest Nvidia driver for win10 64bit
Use modded bootcamp.msi from bootcamp 6 to install new control panel with updated hfs+ support.

Reactions: sanke1

superkrups20056

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
Hi! I was wondering how much of a speed increase I can expect on an early 2011 MBP with a Samsung 850 SSD enabling the UEFI. I'm kinda scared of disabling sleep mode, but I'll do it if it's worth it!

escenkay

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
After I upgraded I lost the functionality of the 'F' keys on my keyboard, play pause etc. I just grabbed my USB drive with the Boot Camp 5 drivers on it, installed them again and it all came back. Not sure why folks are making more work of this than necessary.

I'm coming from aa Windows 7 installation that had the boot camp 4 drivers. I think it would have been easier if I had the boot camp 5 drivers but I can't for the life of me upgrade from Boot Camp 4..

racecar0

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
UT
Just popping in here to give a big thank you to everyone who worked on making these files available and easy to install. Just did a fresh install of Win10 on my 2011 iMac and everything is running beautifully!

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I had more issues on my 2011 iMac unofficial bootcamp. I think windows 10 tried to install updated and drivers, and now it can't finish booting and shows a messed up display. I can't figure out how to restore it without wiping it and starting fresh either.

For now I abandoned bootcamp for parallels, but may try again when I have time later to redo everything.

tslin

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
Hi,

subject says it - older systems don't get the software. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit on my unsupported MBP 7.1 (mid 2010) already and I would appreciate to get access to the updated BootCamp 6 drivers though. Anyone can publish BootCamp 6 for download, please ?

Thank you in advance.

A good read about older hardware: http://betanews.com/2015/08/15/how-i-and-you-am-hurting-the-pc-industry/ . By chance I own the same MBP model, 2.66GHZ CPU and updated it in 2013 to 8 GB RAM and a 480GB SATA SSD.

BootCamp 6 download links, supportive tool links and good info in this thread.

How's the performance after you upgraded to W10? I'm planning to upgrade from W8.1 but I'm afraid my mbp will slow down.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Hi! I was wondering how much of a speed increase I can expect on an early 2011 MBP with a Samsung 850 SSD enabling the UEFI. I'm kinda scared of disabling sleep mode, but I'll do it if it's worth it!
Speed boost using SSD is far greater and totally worth it for me. I shut down my iMac instead of putting it to sleep. Saves more power.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I'm pretty pissed that Apple isn't supporting Windows 10 on a Mac Pro 5,1 (a sign of things to come?)...really makes no sense. I was mainly angry because Apple only released "Input Device Driver Update" for users with Bootcamp 6. I really wanted my new Magic Keyboard and Trackpad 2 (though it makes sense because of these devices hardware requirements) to work with Win10. Scoured the web and finding no solutions finally figured it out myself. I hope this information helps someone:

I used my 2014 rMBP to download only the update via Apple Software Update. Sent the file over to my 5,1 and was pissed to see the error "This update is not intended for this computer and will not be installed". Extracted the contents of the exe with 7-zip and sure enough there sat the driver updates for the three devices. Ran each individually and now have full support of the new devices on my 5,1 (basically added normal trackpad support and brightness/volume back to keyboard). All working flawlessly via Bluetooth 4 on my 5,1.

Preface: I had already upgraded to BC 6, but I'm sure I didn't need to once I grabbed the keyboard installer. If there is a big demand for these drivers I'd be happy to post them somewhere.

Capture.PNG

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I'm pretty pissed that Apple isn't supporting Windows 10 on a Mac Pro 5,1 (a sign of things to come
I think they are just incompetent rather than malicious. To run Windows 10 on my 2006 Core2Due MBP I need Bootcamp 6, audio and Wi-Fi driver from bootcamp 4.1 and the ATI driver from somewhere or other.

Mind you, bootcamp 6 is already about 400TB and takes several weeks to download. Imagine if it covered more than the current model. Probably wouldn't even fit on the disk or download before I was finished.

I wish they would update the AppleHfs and Wi-Fi drivers for at least the recent Macs though - BC6 doesn't even work on my 2015 MBP which is a bit poor. Have to use other old versions for that as well.

Perhaps AppleHFS.sys is complicated for them but they could just ask another OEM for bcmwl63a.sys.

Ho hum.

Jamie-30

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I'm pretty pissed that Apple isn't supporting Windows 10 on a Mac Pro 5,1 (a sign of things to come?)...really makes no sense. I was mainly angry because Apple only released "Input Device Driver Update" for users with Bootcamp 6. I really wanted my new Magic Keyboard and Trackpad 2 (though it makes sense because of these devices hardware requirements) to work with Win10. Scoured the web and finding no solutions finally figured it out myself. I hope this information helps someone:

I used my 2014 rMBP to download only the update via Apple Software Update. Sent the file over to my 5,1 and was pissed to see the error "This update is not intended for this computer and will not be installed". Extracted the contents of the exe with 7-zip and sure enough there sat the driver updates for the three devices. Ran each individually and now have full support of the new devices on my 5,1 (basically added normal trackpad support and brightness/volume back to keyboard). All working flawlessly via Bluetooth 4 on my 5,1.

Preface: I had already upgraded to BC 6, but I'm sure I didn't need to once I grabbed the keyboard installer. If there is a big demand for these drivers I'd be happy to post them somewhere.

View attachment 615999

That would be great. having issues getting my trackpad 2 (tap to click etc) and F keys to work.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I think they are just incompetent rather than malicious. To run Windows 10 on my 2006 Core2Due MBP I need Bootcamp 6, audio and Wi-Fi driver from bootcamp 4.1 and the ATI driver from somewhere or other.

Mind you, bootcamp 6 is already about 400TB and takes several weeks to download. Imagine if it covered more than the current model. Probably wouldn't even fit on the disk or download before I was finished.

I wish they would update the AppleHfs and Wi-Fi drivers for at least the recent Macs though - BC6 doesn't even work on my 2015 MBP which is a bit poor. Have to use other old versions for that as well.

Perhaps AppleHFS.sys is complicated for them but they could just ask another OEM for bcmwl63a.sys.

Ho hum.

Apple needs a 400 TB "helper app" for a 3.87 GB operating system?

If so, they're holding it wrong.

Last edited:

Jamie-30

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I'll PM you a link to it on my dropbox.

Many thanks for the drivers, installed keyboard and F keys work great now. Installed the trackpad driver, however I still have no tap to click option. Have you got that setting on your system?

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Many thanks for the drivers, installed keyboard and F keys work great now. Installed the trackpad driver, however I still have no tap to click option. Have you got that setting on your system?

Good question, do you see any trackpad options in the boot camp settings via the system tray?

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006

View attachment 615999
Thanks for this. Funnily enough I'd done the exact same thing with great results.
I see from your screenshot that you have an NVIDIA card in your cMP. Can I ask what model card it is? And are you running Windows 10 in UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode? START--> RUN -->msinfo32 (this will show you under the BIOS MODE heading)

The reason I ask is because I can't get my NVIDIA card to work on my cMP in UEFI Windows.
Thanks!

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Thanks for this. Funnily enough I'd done the exact same thing with great results.
I see from your screenshot that you have an NVIDIA card in your cMP. Can I ask what model card it is? And are you running Windows 10 in UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode? START--> RUN -->msinfo32 (this will show you under the BIOS MODE heading)

The reason I ask is because I can't get my NVIDIA card to work on my cMP in UEFI Windows.
Thanks!
I can get UEFI to work but I don't find the results satisfactory. It will boot and go to a black screen and then about 30-60 seconds later the login screen will show (takes a long time to initiate the 770 for some reason). My experiment was ultimately for faster boot. I found the wait too long and reverted to legacy and it works fine.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I can get UEFI to work but I don't find the results satisfactory. It will boot and go to a black screen and then about 30-60 seconds later the login screen will show (takes a long time to initiate the 770 for some reason). My experiment was ultimately for faster boot. I found the wait too long and reverted to legacy and it works fine.
Yep, same here, black screen/lockup when I install the NVIDIA driver under UEFI mode. See here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-gtx680-windows-efi-problem.1959255/

Thanks for the quick reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.