Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the new MacBook Pros, which only include four USB-C ports with Thunderbolt 3 support, Apple has released a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

Priced at $49, the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter will allow customers who purchased a new MacBook Pro to connect Thunderbolt 2 accessories like hard drives to one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports in the new MacBook Pro.

thunderbolt2to3adapter-800x476.jpg

Because the adapter is bidirectional, it can also be used to connect Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac that's equipped with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port.

The new Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter is not yet available in Apple retail stores, but it can be ordered online. Deliveries placed today will ship on November 4 at the earliest using the fastest shipping method.

Article Link: Apple Releases $49 Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter Alongside New MacBook Pro

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It is cheaper and it seems less bulky than the Startech (which I had to wait months for, leaving me with a useless USB-C port). The Startech is not bidirectional AFAIK.

I wanted a TB2->TB3 adapter now, so this is it.

Comment

blufire95

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Germany
Actually very nice for devices like my 2011 iMac without USB 3.0 but with Thunderbolt, so we can plugin fast and cheap USB-C drives.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.