Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Actually very nice for devices like my 2011 iMac without USB 3.0 but with Thunderbolt, so we can plugin fast and cheap USB-C drives.

Not sure if it works that way.

Does it convert only thunderbolt 3, or both thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 to thunderbolt 1/2 Mac?

I currently use a dock on my 2011 iMac to get USB 3.0 ports (and daisy chain a ssd thunderbolt boot drive). I would love to simplify it and just use this one adapter with a USB 3 ssd.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
You may not believe it, but this is actually cheap for a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter. Usually, they cost $70+.

probably cuz it never really took off and still isnt a mass market. I dont think i ever used the thunderbolt port on my macbook nor does anyone i know even know what"a thunderbolt" is

Reactions: KPOM

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
It's really bi-directional? That's interesting. The other adapters I've seen don't let you connect TB3 devices to a TB1/TB2 computer. I wonder if it would work with an egfx card.

Reactions: Brian33

grayskyz

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Los Angeles
I love to listen to non-professionals complain about something that they wouldn't buy anyways. If it's a $49 adapter to make your $1200 dollar raid work with your new MacBook Pro so be it. In the grand scheme of things , if you feel the need to complain about an adapter you're probably not a professional or the target market anyways.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It's really bi-directional? That's interesting. The other adapters I've seen don't let you connect TB3 devices to a TB1/TB2 computer. I wonder if it would work with an egfx card.
I use the Startech as USB-C->TB2 with eGPU, dock, everything.

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
I love to listen to non-professionals complain about something that they wouldn't buy anyways. If it's a $49 adapter to make your $1200 dollar raid work with your new MacBook Pro so be it. In the grand scheme of things , if you feel the need to complain about an adapter you're probably not a professional or the target market anyways.
I bet the professionals really love the dongles hanging off their $2000+ computers, too.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010

You appear to be confusing the terms 'professional' and 'wealthy'.

They are not interchangeable.

grayskyz

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Los Angeles
I bet the professionals really love the dongles hanging off their $2000+ computers, too.

I wish I could get away with a $2000 computer but ultimately $50 adapter for professional photographer/videographer audio guy for is nothing. We put a piece of neoprene around our neck to hold a camera and it's $150. If you hang onto old legacy products you will get burned every time.

grayskyz

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Los Angeles
You appear to be confusing the terms 'professional' and 'wealthy'.

They are not interchangeable.

I'm not confused I'm just not really into whining over a $50 dongle. If you're going to hang on to thunderbolt 2 products be prepared to pay the price or stick to what you have. A bidirectional thunderbolt three to thunderbolt two adapter is pretty reasonable if you look around.

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
If my CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 2 works with this adapter, then I'd have all I need to use the new MBP with my old devices.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Hmm. Well someone should try this new adapter with a Razer Core and a TB 1 or 2 Mac. :)
I would get a card of the opposite brand as your dGPU.
[doublepost=1477604374][/doublepost]
If my CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 2 works with this adapter, then I'd have all I need to use the new MBP with my old devices.
I have it but I only used the Startech TB2 dock with the Startech adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.