Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

162648-airport_icon.jpg
Apple today released a series of updates for its AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule wireless base stations, addressing wireless performance issues in its latest models and offering several other bug fixes.

- Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme Base Station Firmware Update 7.5.1 brings fixes for a pair of issues on Apple's latest AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule base stations released last October.This update provides several fixes for the latest Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme Base Station (Late 2009) including:

- An issue with wireless performance in the 5GHz band
- An issue with creating a Guest Network in the 5GHz bandIssues with 5 GHz performance on the new base stations had been well-documented, and users noted earlier this month that models had begun shipping with the 7.5.1 firmware version that seemed to address the problem. Today's release, which is accessible through AirPort Utility, extends the fix to existing devices.

In order to support the new firmware version, Apple has also released AirPort Utility 5.5.1 for Mac OS X (10.24 MB) and Windows (10.70 MB). The updates also offer fixes for several other minor issues.AirPort Utility 5.5.1 includes general bug fixes and addresses the following issues:

- Not importing all settings when importing a configuration.
- Not propagating MAC address control lists when using an extended network.The Mac OS X version of AirPort Utility 5.5.1 requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later, while the Windows version requires Windows 7, Vista SP1 or later, or XP SP3 or later. Users are encouraged to update AirPort Utility before applying the base station firmware update to AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models.

Article Link: Apple Releases AirPort and Time Capsule Firmware and Utility Updates

jglavin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
Been waiting for a while for this one... my TC has been having performance issues for months now, hopefully this fixes it.

Edit: Applied the 7.5.1 update, and so far so good...able to sustain over 10mbytes/sec (peak over 15) throughput when before I had constant hiccups and slow transfers. I just copied 5 gigs wirelessly to my laptop in 6 minutes. Methinks streaming videos will no longer be an issue.

Comment

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
FINALLY!! Been waiting months for this! Was about to give up on apple fixing the 5Ghz issue! So very happy!

Comment

ccoulson

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
No 7.5.1??

I can download the Airport Utility 5.5.1 update, but when I run it it tells me there's no firmware update (7.5.1) available?? The latest firmware my Airport Utility has downloaded is 7.4.2...

Comment

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I can download the Airport Utility 5.5.1 update, but when I run it it tells me there's no firmware update (7.5.1) available?? The latest firmware my Airport Utility has downloaded is 7.4.2...

I also only have that version. I assume it's because we have the older one-band-at-a time model. I think this is for the newer one that lets you run on dual frequencies simultaneously, with different SSIDs if you want.

Comment

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
I also only have that version. I assume it's because we have the older one-band-at-a time model. I think this is for the newer one that lets you run on dual frequencies simultaneously, with different SSIDs if you want.
New simultaneous dual-band model here, and only version 7.4.2 is found.
:confused:

Comment

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Finally an update to Airport Utility. There has been a bug in 5.5 where there was no scroll bar available for viewing DHCP Reservations.

They haven't fixed the DHCP Reservations text though, it is still up where it shouldn't be.

Does it say Simultaneous Dual-Band II in Airport Utility?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-31 at 4.19.10 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-03-31 at 4.19.10 PM.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 294
Comment

ccoulson

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
I have the Dual band

I have the dual band TC - only showing 7.4.2 with no new firmware available...

Comment

robotspacer

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I have the dual-band model too and it's tell me there's no update. Very confusing…

Then I remembered there was an update late last year that improved the antenna or something. This only applies to those models. Hopefully we're not getting this update because we don't have the problems this fixes, and not because we made the mistake of using something an entire year old.

Comment

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Finally an update to Airport Utility. There has been a bug in 5.5 where there was no scroll bar available for viewing DHCP Reservations.

They haven't fixed the DHCP Reservations text though, it is still up where it shouldn't be.

Does it say Simultaneous Dual-Band II in Airport Utility?
Yes.

To clarify: "Simultaneous Dual-Band", no II ???

Comment

gber

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Same here. I have a dual band Time Capsule but it didn't ask for the firmware update after installing the Airport Utility update.

Comment

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Yes.

To clarify: "Simultaneous Dual-Band", no II ???

Then you don't have the Late-2009 model, which means the update does not apply to you.

There were two Dual-Band models, the MC763LL/A and the MC340LL/A. The latter being the latest model.

Comment

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Hmmm, bought it in late January 2010 from the Apple Refurb store, described as "current version". Do I gather it wasn't then?

It doesn't sound like it. Check the model number on your box, see if it matches one of the two I mentioned.

Comment

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Yep, it is the earlier one. Thanks for clarifying. Oh well, saved £40 and it really is excellent, so no complaints.

That sucks, given you bought it this year, Apple would probably do a swap for you.

Comment

An-apple-a-day

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Hopefully this doesn't break Time Machine backups to AEBS

Hopefully this firmware update doesn't break the wonderful "unsupported" functionality allowing me to perform Time Machine backups to an external drive connected to my Airport Extreme via USB. Can somebody please confirm this still works after the firmware upgrade?

Comment

mmdc

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
My MC340AM/A has had its firmware updated to 7.5.1, and the utility updated to 5.5.1 as of 5 minutes ago!

Comment

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Will Apple ever do QOS?

Anybody know if Apple will ever do QOS or why they have not done it already? I keep expecting it in a firmware update, but nothing so far. I bought a non-simultaneous dual-band Airport Extreme and 2 Airport Express units a couple of years ago to be able to extend the wireless network and still use WPA-2 (I have a big house and the Airport Express units make great wireless adapters for non-Wifi devices).

At the time of purchase, every other vendor would only do WEP when extending the network (which is worthless). This is what led me to my very first apple purchase since my college years.

Since then I upgraded to 2 of the dual-band Airport Extreme units (selling off the older Airport Extreme and one Airport Express to my sister in law). When I upgraded other vendors claimed to be doing WPA-2 with WDS network extension, but I stuck with Apple because of the simplicity and performance of the Airport router.

However, the one lacking feature has always been QOS. I hate that I have to put my OOMA VOIP router in between my Airport Extreme and the cable modem.

The Airport Extreme and Airport Express were my first purchases in a wave of Apple purchases in the last two years including 2 x iPhone 3Gs, an iPod Touch, 2 x iMac 27-inch Quad Core-i5, a Mac mini, and an Apple TV. I would just like to see these great routers get that last thing they are missing.... QOS.

Comment

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
It doesn't sound like it. Check the model number on your box, see if it matches one of the two I mentioned.

Mine is also the first one. Apple sure did complicate things with this "update". Thanks for the clarification. Something Apple didn't do.

Comment

2Bad4U

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I download the Airport Utility 5.5.1 update program and it ran without any issues. However, when I run Airport Utility it still shows 5.4.2. For whatever reason update program refuses to update may application to 5.5.1. Is there anyone else having the same problem? :confused:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.