Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
A

allupinmyzone

Dang, was hoping this would be for the new 802.11ac Time Capsule.

I've been having lots of connection issues on my iOS devices.

Anyone else having dropouts on the new Time Capsule? May try getting a replacement.

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Music Dropouts Continue - Downgrading to 7.6.1

After a good 6 months to fix the problems that came with 7.6.3, Apple has failed again.

Music dropouts continue to plague the system under 7.6.4.

Streaming music from Laptop to my Airport Express music cuts out.

Absolutely ridiculous how Apple can't get it right!!!!

Downgrading AGAIN to 7.6.1

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I just hope they fix the new AirPort Utility so it has all the advanced features of the old one somewhere. The new feature of selecting more than one AirPort to update them all at once would also be great.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Apple Network

My 5 Apple network devices happily updated. Signal is strong and Airplay works flawless. Mesh, roaming network.

3 Apple 5th Gen Airport Extremes running in dual band (2.4/5GHz) 802.11n only. Connected via Cat 5e ethernet backbone to Verizon FiOS 75/35.

2 Latest Gen Apple Airport Expresses for Airplay and signal extension.

JUST SAY NO TO DEAD SPOTS!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 20.43.49 .png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 20.43.49 .png
    142.2 KB · Views: 240

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Just to be make it clear for everybody, there is no firmware update for the latest AirPort Extreme aka 6th gen AirPort, also aka 802.11ac router.

This is only for the older 802.11n router. If you bought AirPort Extreme recently, you have nothing to worry about, it's still at the latest version.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
After a good 6 months to fix the problems that came with 7.6.3, Apple has failed again.

Music dropouts continue to plague the system under 7.6.4.

Streaming music from Laptop to my Airport Express music cuts out.

Absolutely ridiculous how Apple can't get it right!!!!

Downgrading AGAIN to 7.6.1

It's just you.

----------

Ugh. I just installed Mavericks the other day, and it won't run Airport Utility 5.6.

6.3.1 works ;)

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
My 5 Apple network devices happily updated. Signal is strong and Airplay works flawless. Mesh, roaming network.

3 Apple 5th Gen Airport Extremes running in dual band (2.4/5GHz) 802.11n only. Connected via Cat 5e ethernet backbone to Verizon FiOS 75/35.

You either live in a castle, or you need some serious counseling.:D

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Thank goodness. I've been having pretty bad intermittent wifi drop outs on all our iOS devices in the house with our new Airport Time Capsule. Can't wait to install this fix after work.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
6.3.1 works ;)

Of course I know it works. I have it installed. I prefer 5.6. I have no problem with 6.x but for its lack of logs, and wireless and DHCP client information. I used the latter to perform periodic checks to make sure that there were no rogue clients on my network (I live in a high-rise).

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Thank goodness. I've been having pretty bad intermittent wifi drop outs on all our iOS devices in the house with our new Airport Time Capsule. Can't wait to install this fix after work.

Don't worry, it won't help because this is for the older TC, not the new ones.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

If yours is new (the tower version) this update doesn't apply

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Of course I know it works. I have it installed. I prefer 5.6. I have no problem with 6.x but for its lack of logs, and wireless and DHCP client information. I used the latter to perform periodic checks to make sure that there were no rogue clients on my network (I live in a high-rise).

OK, I'm far from being a networking expert, but for the rogue client issue, doesn't clicking on the router in the current version tell you that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 21H53.28.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 21H53.28.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 3,435

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007

I'll share a story with you. About 2 or 3 years ago I suddenly started having a really nasty dropout problem with my iPod Touch, my iPad and my iPhone on my wireless network. My Macbook Air was not dropping at all.

I did all sorts of troubleshooting over the course of about two or three weeks. I completely wiped my Time Capsule and reconfigured it. I reset one or two of my iOS devices. I tried reserving IP addresses. I was about to pull my hair out. I could see the devices on my Airport Utility logs, reserving, then losing their IP addresses from the DHCP server.

While standing in front of my bedroom dresser, just on the other side of the wall from my TC, I was staring at the screen of my iPod Touch as it continually rejoined and dropped its wifi connection, at my wit's end. I casually, nearly absent-mindedly reached over and dragged a set of earbuds off of the top of an internet connected blu-ray player that was on the dresser. Suddenly, as soon as I moved the earbuds my iPod connected to the network and held its connection. I checked my iPhone and iPad, and they were both locked in, also. I looked at the logs in Airport Utility, and the drops and rejoins had completely and suddenly stopped. It never happened again.

----------

OK, I'm far from being a networking expert, but for the rogue client issue, doesn't clicking on the router in the current version tell you that?

That it does. But it doesn't tell me all network attached devices (such as wired connections) and it doesn't give me IP addresses so that I can verify against devices that don't have friendly network names (and can't be configured with them).

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013

Same here. It seems as though the iOS dropout issue is specific to the 5th-generation AEBS, at least in my experience. My old 4th-generation model never had this problem. Good thing this was released, too, because I was borderline ready to send my 5th-gen back.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Don't worry, it won't help because this is for the older TC, not the new ones.

If yours is new (the tower version) this update doesn't apply

Ah, thanks. I didn't go through the thread yet and I just noticed MR updated the thread title to say only "Time Capsule". I guess I'll have to live with the drop outs a little bit longer then.

Same here. It seems as though the iOS dropout issue is specific to the 5th-generation AEBS, at least in my experience. My old 4th-generation model never had this problem. Good thing this was released, too, because I was borderline ready to send my 5th-gen back.

Well actually mine is the new Airport Time Capsule and I just realized the update is only for the older models. But I still get widespread iOS drop outs in my house. Hopefully they fix all Airport products soon.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
- Resolve an issue that may intermittently cause a loss in Wi-Fi connectivity with iOS devices

This has driven me up the wall for ages. All my macbooks have worked fine, several times week all my iOS devices need their wifi setting toggled for no apparent reason. Here's hoping this is the solution...

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Holy.... big is your house?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Ugh. I just installed Mavericks the other day, and it won't run Airport Utility 5.6.

Yup. 10.9 puts the kibosh on 5.6.x support. 10.8 don't allow installation, I just dragged the app from previous OS X installs to the "Utilities". No batter the 5.6.x version, the icon is blocked and running the app results in a crash. I weeded through Console but couldn't make sense of it.

----------

Holy.... big is your house?

I got 6th Gen Extreme, 2 5th gen's and 3 current model Expresses. All but the main 6th Gen are in bridge mode, single quality is consistent if not better.

Gus Van Der Mee

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2013

Not affraid of wireless overdose?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Resolve an issue that may cause AirPort Time Capsule to report that the backup disk is in use.

I've battled Apple for *MONTHS* with this issue (started within 24 hous of receiving my 5th gen TC in March).

Eventually, I filed a chargeback claim through my bank/credit card and got the money back (along with a £100 goodwill gesture from Apple).

It really was a painful experience that ran from March to a couple of weeks ago (when the unit finally went back).

No such issues with my 6th gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.