Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's keynote event, Apple has released a beta firmware update that is limited to developers, with the software adding some of the new features that were announced on stage.

airpods-pro-2-purple.jpg

There's a new Adaptive Audio feature for the AirPods that combines Transparency and Active Noise Cancellation to dynamically match the conditions of the environment that you're in.

You can stay present in your environment while distracting noises are reduced, listening to music without missing what's going on around you. When someone is nearby, a conversation awareness option will lower the sound of the music and focus on voices, while also cutting out background noise.

The Adaptive Audio and conversation functions also work on calls to make it easier for you to hear the person you're speaking with while you're out and about.

Apple is also improving automatic switching across the Apple ecosystem, so you can swap between devices more quickly than before.

The new firmware is limited to developers at the current time.

Article Link: Apple Releases Beta Firmware Update for AirPods

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
As someone with autism who uses AirPods Pro (2nd gen) and Max to listen to music and to control/suppress environmental audio stimulation, the new AirPods adaptive audio feature was quite possibly my favourite announcement of the day. Sure, the new macs and Visio pro will get all of the column inches (and rightfully so), but adaptive audio and improved device switching will improve my day to day work & home life the most.

Last edited:

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I didn't watch the stream yet, only read the live feed here... did they really show off all these features without saying which AirPods it was for? I'm assuming this is only for the Pros, which sucks as I have 3's but still...

Geminiwave

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2021
confused....it says they're adding this to AirPods...which don't have noise canceling. so does this add noise canceling to the AirPods 3???

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I curious to owners of the current APP2 users: do any of you mind charging via lightning or magsafe?
It's never been a problem for me, but I understand usb-c holdouts.
Honestly it is because less cable types to carry are better for me. Is it a big deal? Not at all. But since I don't own the new ones yet, it is worth the wait (as long as my v1 still works fine, I would buy new pod pro's tomorrow.

bookcase

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
I curious to owners of the current APP2 users: do any of you mind charging via lightning or magsafe?
I've only ever charged mine with my Apple Watch charger, which is great. But I don't care if I need to use the lightning cable, either.

RNB

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2007
I've got a dozen or more Lightning cables, plus 3 charging pads (not magsafe ones). Plus more cables in each car. I'm looking forward to USB-C to match my M1 Air, but the lack of C on my AirPods certainly isn't an issue.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
You can get an adapter

DongleLife™

:p

Seriously though... I'm hoping one day that I can use the same cable to charge a Macbook, an iPhone, and Airpods.

If the next iPhone has USB-C... you'd think the next Airpods will have USB-C too. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Fozamo

rolfwiggum

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2021
all of the new features announced today are only for the Pro 2nd gen?
Yes, gen 2 only https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/2023/06/airpods-redefine-the-personal-audio-experience/

This fall, software updates across AirPods will unlock powerful new capabilities to transform the personal audio experience. AirPods Pro (2nd generation) become easier to use across environments and interactions with three powerful new features: Adaptive Audio, Personalised Volume, and Conversation Awareness.

• Sad
Reactions: ediks

robfoll

Contributor
Mar 22, 2020
Adaptive Transparency has been a lifesaver for me in loud concerts; improvements as described can only be welcomed!

Reactions: Brenster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.