Apple Releases Fifth Public Betas of iOS 13 and iPadOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released the fifth public betas of iOS 13 and iPadOS to its public beta testing group, one week after seeding the fourth public betas and a day after seeding the sixth developer beta.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 13 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

[​IMG]

Those who want to join the beta testing program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. Before installing a beta, make sure to create a full encrypted iTunes backup or an iCloud backup.

iOS 13 is a major update to the iOS operating system that runs on the iPhone and the iPad, but this year, iOS 13 and iPadOS, the version of iOS 13 that runs on the iPad, are separate downloads as they've been split up.

[​IMG]

iPadOS is identical to iOS 13 in almost every way, though there are some iPad-specific features such as new multitasking capabilities. For the most part, the two operating systems share the same features.

iOS 13 introduces a long list of new features. Dark Mode changes the entire look of the operating system, shifting it from light to dark, while an overhauled Photos app makes it easier to relive your memories with new Days, Months, and Years viewing options.

[​IMG]

There's a new photo editing interface that makes it easier to edit photos than ever before, plus there are new tools to work with and options to edit the intensity of the built-in filters. You can edit video right in the Photos app for the first time, and on the newest iPhones, there's a new High-Key Mono lighting effect and an option to adjust the intensity of Portrait Lightning effects.

iOS 13 adds a less obtrusive volume HUD, a new Find My app that combines Find My iPhone and Find My Friends and lets you track your devices even with they don't have an LTE or WiFi connection. A Sign In with Apple feature (not yet active) gives you a convenient and data safe way to sign into apps and websites, providing an alternative to Facebook and Google sign in options.

[​IMG]

Maps has a new street-level "Look Around" mode and a Collections feature for making lists of places, Reminders has been entirely overhauled to make it more functional, there's a profile feature in Messages along with new Memoji and Animoji stickers, and Siri has a new voice.

There are a ton of additional new features and changes coming in iOS 13, and for a full rundown of what you can expect, make sure to check out our iOS 13 roundup.

Each new beta brings new features and changes to iOS 13, and the sixth developer beta, which corresponds to the fifth public beta, added a Dark Mode toggle to Control Center, changes to folder transparency, updates to some privacy warnings, new splash screens, and more.

Article Link: Apple Releases Fifth Public Betas of iOS 13 and iPadOS

2. theapplehead, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Time to say goodbye to 32 volume levels, shortcut automations, and non transparent folders on the home screen.

3. ericg301 macrumors 65816

so should i not install this if im an apple watch user? (on 5.3...not beta)

4. wilhelmer macrumors member

5. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

That’s what the release notes appear to say thought I cannot personally confirm as I do not have an Apple Watch.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2019 ---
    Bad news-they didn’t.

6. hobapolis macrumors newbie

hobapolis

thank goodness

7. wilhelmer macrumors member

Damn. I know it’s a beta, but the state of the app at PB5 is worrisome...

8. TechGolferGuy, Aug 8, 2019

TechGolferGuy macrumors newbie

TechGolferGuy

Do you guys recommend downloading iPadOS 13 beta on my iPad pro? Or does it still have a ton of bugs?

9. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

I agree! I’m surprised that we’re 5 PB’s (6 DB) in and yet we still are seeing all these issues. Especially with the public release only a month away.
    There are still a noticeable amount of bugs regarding the mail app and a few other applications. If you want full functionality of your iPad, I would wait until the next beta.

10. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

[​IMG]
    This design is so terrible. I get the functionality point of view but come on... the clock and date line don't even bottom align with the top row of icons. This looks so disjointed.​

11. whizstachio macrumors newbie

Still cannot share your location from another iOS device like in iOS 12

12. Mansu944 macrumors 6502a

13. Selcher macrumors member

Selcher

The TD Canada Trust Bank App finally works! Woohoo!

14. eattherich macrumors 6502a

eattherich

I was really hoping the phantom draft email bug would've been fixed.

15. nickcliborne macrumors 6502

I agree. I can hardly get 12-13 hours on my AW4

16. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

You can hide them and use the regular app icons only grid, with big or small icons.

17. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

It’s beta
    It won’t

18. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It can potentially have an effect, if there was something odd about the previous beta or its install in some way, for example.

19. coachgq macrumors regular

So slide it over and don’t look at it. #Solution

20. lawrencejuliano macrumors member

lawrencejuliano

I think this is because in the new "Find My" App all of your friend's device locations are shown. I can see where every one of my family's devices are.

21. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

I know it’s just a beta and I was fully aware of that when I downloaded it, but I’m looking forward to getting my battery life back on my 2018 12.9.
    But all in all most of the bugs that I’ve experienced, besides the mail app, have been resolved with each release.

I use the notes app for drafts. It would occasionally start shaking/flashing. I didn’t have that issue after public beta 3.

I was getting an occasional reboot. Thankfully that didn’t happen while I was teaching. Although I knew I was taking a chance installing a beta on my daily driver.
    I think you’re correct. It’s been “hard” for me to get used to using the “Find My” app. There are times when I check on my kids location. In iOS 12 I can do that from the messenger app. I can’t do that anymore with PadOS. I have to go to the Find My app instead. It’s not a big deal but it added a slight extra step to the way I’m used to doing it.

22. bigboy29 macrumors regular

There are several reports since yesterday that this beta resolves Watch (Series 4, non-beta Watch OS) battery drain problems. So I am already downloading it.

23. Christian 5G, Aug 8, 2019

Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

I am hoping this will fix my phone nearly overheating while leaving the screen on and charging it

At this point there’s still so many bugs

24. Mighuel macrumors member

I’ll add one report to that. It’s fixed!

25. IIGS User macrumors regular

I thought it was just me. I've had issues with my Series 4 battery since the last Beta so I guess that explains it.

Some connectivity issues as well, but nothing major. Interesting.