Apple Releases Firmware Update 7.7.9 and 7.6.9 for AirPort Base Stations [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today released new firmware updates for its Wi-Fi base stations, including the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time Capsule. The 7.7.9 update is available for 802.11ac base stations, while the 7.6.9 update is available for 802.11n base stations.

Release notes for the update were not provided by Apple, but it is likely that this firmware update fixes the KRACK Wi-Fi vulnerabilities that affected many modern Wi-Fi networks and devices.

The KRACK vulnerability had the potential to allow attackers to exploit weaknesses in the WPA2 protocol to decrypt network traffic to sniff out credit card numbers, usernames, passwords, photos, and other sensitive information. Apple released KRACK security updates for other devices earlier this year.

The new firmware updates can be installed using the AirPort Utility app for iOS or macOS.

Apple has allegedly stopped development on its AirPort wireless routers in 2016, and to our knowledge, the company does not plan to produce another product in the AirPort family in the near future.

Update: Support documents for the security contents of the 7.7.9 and 7.6.9 updates confirm that the KRACK Wi-Fi vulnerability has been addressed alongside a few other security issues.

Article Link: Apple Releases Firmware Update 7.7.9 and 7.6.9 for AirPort Base Stations [Updated]

2. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

3. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Welcomed update, but man I wish they’d continue router development.

4. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

Are you sure they completely stopped it?

5. avanpelt macrumors 68030

This update comes more than a month after my eeros were updated to patch the vulnerability. I’m glad I jumped off the AirPort bandwagon last year.

6. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Allegedly™

8. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Nope alive like the Mac Pro ;)

9. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

10. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Personally I think they've stopped. Look at their recent style of announcing everything in advance. They pre-announced the iMac Pro, the HomePod, and the future Modular Mac Pro with new monitors no less. Wouldn't it seem really odd that the "one more thing" secret is... routers? iPad Socks would probably generate more excitement.:D

11. Bokito macrumors regular

Yeah, I 100% agree to that. I’m living in an apartment block with more than 30 different networks available to pick from. My Time Capsule just works, but my ISP’s router is merely a backup.

I wish they’d bring back the old Mac software too. It’s way better than the iOSified version.

Airports are not the cheapest routers around, but I think it’s one of the best products Apple ever made.

12. Loxen88 macrumors newbie

This, so hoping for this.

13. dippnerd macrumors member

dippnerd

I really don't want to get my hopes up, but it would be nice.

14. bsbeamer macrumors 6502a

If updating from Mac, quit the AirPort Utility app after update. Appears to be a glitch in the software that wants to re-download and update after already installed.

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I love my time capsule. If they ever discontinue it for good I would buy another even though mine still works.

16. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

i need to buy new time-capsule, not sure if i should wait or just buy it now?

17. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Sadly yes last article I read on MacRumors Tim Cook rather move Wireless Router department to work on Driverless Cars instead which imo is really dumb.

18. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Interestingly, there was an update for my very old Airport Express (the one that plugs directly into the wall and has S/PDIF port).
    And of course, and update for the new TimeCapsule.

19. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

There haven't been any major advances in WiFi performance since then, though. There is literally no reason to release a new router right now.

If a new WiFi standard comes along and Apple doesn't release a new router afterwards, THEN we can be sure that development is dead. But for now the current routers are still state of the art.

This firmware update shows that Apple is still supporting the products, and they are still for sale without stock problems.

20. superduperultra macrumors regular

I'd like to think they're totally rethinking their router strategy with some kind of mesh network.

There will be no announcement, just a cold press release one beautiful Tuesday morning.

21. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

AirPort for the most part is mesh networking.

22. superduperultra macrumors regular

It's just not very user-friendly, there is a lot they could do to make it better for the hoi polloi.

23. hagar macrumors 6502a

My WiFi network frequently slows down and rebooting my time capsule seems to do the trick. What could be the problem?
    I hope this update fixes the issue but I’m not holding my breath.

24. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

I dont understand all those whining about discontinuation. Airport extreme got all you need. 802.11ac, 1.3 Gbp with simultaneous dual-band. Its not like something new will emerge next year,and tbh i dont see any new WIFI tech in next 5 years