Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside new MacBook Pros, Apple today announced the release of the first developer preview version of Mac OS X Lion. First demoed last October, Mac OS X Lion is set for a public launch this summer.
Apple today released a developer preview of Mac OS X Lion, which takes some of the best ideas from iPad and brings them back to the Mac for the eighth major release of the world's most advanced operating system. Lion features Mission Control, an innovative new view of everything running on your Mac; Launchpad, a new home for all your Mac apps; full screen apps that use the entire Mac display; and new Multi-Touch gestures. Lion also includes the Mac App Store, the best place to discover, install and automatically update Mac apps. The Lion preview is available to Mac Developer Program members through the Mac App Store today, and the final version of Lion will ship to customers this summer.
Apple also outlines a number of other features to be found in Lion:
Additional features in Lion include:

- a new version of Mail, with an elegant, widescreen layout inspired by the iPad; Conversations, which automatically groups related messages into one easy to read timeline; more powerful search; and support for Microsoft Exchange 2010;
- AirDrop, a remarkably simple way to copy files wirelessly from one Mac to another with no setup;
- Versions, which automatically saves successive versions of your document as you create it, and gives you an easy way to browse, edit and even revert to previous versions;
- Resume, which conveniently brings your apps back exactly how you left them when you restart your Mac or quit and relaunch an app;
- Auto Save, which automatically saves your documents as you work;
the all new FileVault, that provides high performance full disk encryption for local and external drives, and the ability to wipe data from your Mac instantaneously; and
- Mac OS X Lion Server, which makes setting up a server easier than ever and adds support for managing Mac OS X Lion, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion

Last edited by a moderator:

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Lion server

OS X LION HAS LION SERVER INTEGRATED!!!!

Very awesome release of Lion is coming, Apple is going to be the first to give away a server included with the OS

Greydog

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2004
Airdrop=Dropbox=cool. Will it support iOS devices too?

Little concerned about "instantly wiping" my mac...mistakes do happen, including w/ Apple.

Not sure I get what Lion server is - different than Mac OS server?

paddyhazard

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2010
London
Just wondering, if we assume that the Lion disc will cost about $70-80 (usually about £60 here) and developers can download the latest os (including betas) for free, is it possible to just get into the developer program to get Lion and try it early on a virtual PC for the developer cost - just slightly more than the usual mac os cost? I'm playing around with iOS development so could just change that to mac os development and try and make use of the developer program advantages too.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It looks awesome so far! Great new features. Mail and iCal look much better.

Don't know how I feel about the background yet. There better be a cool pic of a Lion coming.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
These are nice features but not enough to make me want upgrade.

They have to fix the RAM hogginess of the system and then I’d consider Lion.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
AirDrop, Mail 5, and Versions seem really cool. I can't wait for the next Apple conference to see these in action! Nice to see Apple restate the summer release, as well.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Is this developer preview considered late, or is it in line with other OS X releases? Just curious as I know a few people on here were worried about a lack of seeds only months before an official release.

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
Is this developer preview considered late, or is it in line with other OS X releases? Just curious as I know a few people on here were worried about a lack of seeds only months before an official release.

i think its early, which is good thing. normally dont get dev previews until dev conference in June

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Versions, which automatically saves successive versions of your document as you create it, and gives you an easy way to browse, edit and even revert to previous versions;

This is the first compelling reason that I've heard to upgrade to OS X Lion when it will be released. If this is done right, it will be even more of a killer feature than Quick Look or Time Machine.

Repository functionality on the file system level with a good(!) AND friendly(!) user interface really is something that lots of people have been waiting for since... well, ever, actually. This could be really, really awesome.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
is there anyway to get this developer version? i am not saying by torrents or anything, thanks.

dampfdruck

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Great! A new FileVault. Can't wait for this. The current version is a daily pain in the a** when the laptop takes 10 to 15 minutes just to shut down.

karolynaz

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
Some good people allready uploading this to The Pirate Bay and other torrent sites :)

Give them day or 2, and everybody can install that if there is no UUID lock:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.