Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced the first version of the visionOS software, debuting the visionOS 1.0 Developer Beta. The introduction of the beta comes as Apple has announced the launch of the visionOS software development kit (SDK) that will allow third-party developers to build apps for the Vision Pro headset.

visionos-home-screen-mt-hood.jpg

The SDK can be accessed through Xcode 15 beta 2, and while developers do not have access to the Vision Pro headset itself as of yet, Apple will begin allowing testing starting next month.

Apple in July plans to open developer labs in select countries around the world, and some developers will be able to apply for development kits to test apps directly on Vision Pro.

While visionOS 1.0 can't be downloaded on headsets except by Apple employees, the software may give us hints of unannounced functionality the device is capable of.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Ever visionOS Beta

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa
I really hope that given the release of the software it can be determined if there will be multi-user support. I highly doubt it, but the idea that even a couple will both buy a headset, let along a whole family of users....that would have to get REALLY cheap to make that a reality. If people can share it with different profiles, I see the adoption maybe happening faster. But with Apple's assumed stance with the iPad that they want people to buy their own, I won't hold my breath that they will allow it with this device.

adrianjagielak

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
I really hope that given the release of the software it can be determined if there will be multi-user support. I highly doubt it, but the idea that even a couple will both buy a headset, let along a whole family of users....that would have to get REALLY cheap to make that a reality. If people can share it with different profiles, I see the adoption maybe happening faster. But with Apple's assumed stance with the iPad that they want people to buy their own, I won't hold my breath that they will allow it with this device.
I think they were talking about this in the keynote, that the OpticID will recognize different people and switch to the correct user when putting on the headset.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Supposedly, it will have a guest account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.