Apple Releases First iOS 10.2 Beta to Public Beta Testers With New Emoji, Wallpapers and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming iOS 10.2 update to public beta testers for testing purposes, just one over one week after releasing the first major iOS 10 update, iOS 10.1, and one day after providing the iOS 10.2 beta to developers.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 10 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on their iOS device.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and macOS Sierra betas. Betas are not stable and include many bugs, so they should be installed on a secondary device.

iOS 10.2, as a major 10.x update, includes several new features to enhance iOS 10. New emoji have been added, introducing Unicode 9 characters like clown face, drooling face, selfie, face palm, fox face, owl, shark, butterfly, avocado, pancakes, croissant, and more, plus many profession emoji available in both male and female genders.

Apple has also updated the artwork on many existing emoji, adding detail and making them look less cartoonish and more realistic. In addition to new emoji, the 10.2 update includes new wallpaper, new Music sorting options, a new "Celebrate" Screen Effect," an option for preserving camera settings, a Videos widget, and more.

Article Link: Apple Releases First iOS 10.2 Beta to Public Beta Testers With New Emoji, Wallpapers and More

2. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

3. Hanzu Lao Suspended

Hanzu Lao

Only problem is that to get to them is a nightmare from UX point. Why not just 3d touch on a message text and select what you need from a bubble.

4. RedOrchestra Suspended

5. sennys macrumors newbie

sennys

6. ginkobiloba macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

Good to see Apple devoting so much ressources to emojis. Cause, you know, that's the most important thing users need right now....It's not like competitors are making Surface Studios and stuff like that...

7. StandardFlint macrumors regular

StandardFlint

These fools. When will they realize that we need an emoji to express our dislike of emojis.

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Emojis!!!!! I can think of better things that users want and need.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---

9. Firebrand macrumors regular

10. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I am sure that the team enabling Unicode Emoji is the EXACT SAME TEAM that would do the industrial design and engineering needed to develop a Surface Studio competitor.

11. JeffSmith macrumors newbie

I'm stoked to have the star ratings for songs back. Having only like/dislike is useless. I rarely emphatically "LOVE" or "HATE" a song. The star rating with smart playlists allows me to control how often I hear certain tracks. Some longs I really like but would not want to hear them 7-8 times a day.

12. procrastinasn macrumors regular

You're so right. Because:
    1. software engineers know how to update hardware
    2. many people don't use Emojis
    3. many people can afford $3000 desktop machines

/s

Why do people constantly have to bring up the Surface Studio, regardless of the main post? It's such a niche product, and in this case, way more niche than Emoji.

Let me guess, you're probably not going to buy the Studio, right?

13. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

14. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I'm not seeing the new wallpapers on my iPhone 6 Plus. Are these new wallpapers exclusive to certain devices? I'm guessing it's maybe only for 6S and above only?

15. 8692574 Suspended

I was deeply worried.....thank God Apple showed me they still have a clue of what to do, EMOJI!!!!

Now release some watch bands and I am all set!

16. DJLAXL macrumors 6502a

DJLAXL

Why people bother to come on MR just to b*tch, complain, and just bring negativity is annoying as hell. Show them where it hurts....with your wallets. Don't like the products? Buy something else which offers more to your liking. Don't like software updates? Go to Android where your phone carrier dictates when you get updates.

**You all also do realize that the emojis are accepted/updated by a Unicode Consortium right? Apple just adds them to align with the Unicode 9....but I assume you'd complain and cry about it anyway***

17. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

I mean I get why iMessage isn't cross platform after seeing it, as well. If you were to send that sparks effect to someone with a Note 7, they would think their phone was beginning to explode.

18. BurgDog macrumors regular

Apple needs more diversity of their staff as one of their stated goals. They get that by hiring more artists and fewer engineers. Thus more Emojis and less engineering.

19. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

More emojis can't come soon enough! Typing all of these entire words and idea out really cuts into my productivity.

20. Loco Emperor macrumors regular

Today I learned that ios users are just as bad as windows phone users complaining about the fact an update is bringing new additions to the ecosystem.

21. RedOrchestra Suspended

22. JoCoWashington macrumors newbie

JoCoWashington

You do realize that there are different departments within Apple, right?

Tim: "Listen up. I need every single department, including the car team, to focus their attention on creating a Surface Studio competitor."
    Craig: "What about iOS bug fixes and a public betas?"
    Tim: "That can wait, like the Airpods... Get to work!"

23. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

I already reached a point where I'm having a hard time finding the emoji I'm looking for because of the sheer amount of emoji. Glad we're getting even more to zift through.

24. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I have an idea that'll BLOW YOUR MIND... Watch Band Emojii!

25. imronburgundy macrumors regular

imronburgundy

Emoji??? How about a fix to the iMessage lockscreen quick reply? It pains me every time I have to wait for it to load.