MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

123816-ios_4_2_beta.jpg

As noted by CoveringWeb, Apple has pushed out to developers the first beta version of iOS 4.2. At its media event on September 1st, Apple announced that iOS 4.2 would be released in November and would unify iOS across Apple's mobile devices, bringing iOS 4 features such as multitasking to the iPad for the first time.

Soon after the media event, Apple posted a preview page showing some of the features coming to the iPad in iOS 4.2, including the multitasking and folders already available in iOS 4 for iPhone and iPod touch but also such features as printing and AirPlay support for streaming media from the iPad.

Coming just a week after the public launch of iOS 4.1 for iPhone and iPod touch, the initial iOS 4.2 beta is available for iPad, iPhone (3G, 3GS, and 4) and iPod touch (second-, third-, and fourth-generation).

Article Link: Apple Releases First iOS 4.2 Beta for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch

Mherm88

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Lafayette Hill, PA
Please someone confirm the stability of the 4.2 update on iPad, I'm going away in a couple of weeks and want to have 4.2 on it for the trip. And confirm it syncs with iTunes (PC please?). Thanks!

Comment

Leehro

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
Can anyone confirm that printing in 4.2 is going to be iPad-only? I'd sure love to have it on the iPhone.

Printing is available on iOS devices that support multitasking - so iPad, iPhone 4, 3GS and the faster iPod Touches

Comment

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Apple today announced that it is releasing a beta version of its AirPrint wireless printing for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch to members of Apple's iOS developer program today, and that AirPrint will be included in the free iOS 4.2 software update in November. AirPrint automatically finds printers on local networks and can print text, photos and graphics to them wirelessly over Wi-Fi without the need to install drivers or download software. HP's existing and upcoming ePrint enabled printers will be the first to support printing direct from iOS devices.

Comment

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
if you think this is good new just wait until ipad 2 comes out next year. Can you say retina display , 512 ram, 1.5 ghz cpu?!!!
And has anyone had any viruses on their ipad?
I DIDN'T THINK SO. Ha ha!
Ipad rules baby!!!!!!!

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Printing is available on iOS devices that support multitasking - so iPad, iPhone 4, 3GS and the faster iPod Touches

Outstanding. That will definitely be worth the upgrade.

if you think this is good new just wait until ipad 2 comes out next year. Can you say retina display , 512 ram, 1.5 ghz cpu?!!!

I don't know if Retina Display on an iPad is feasible right now.

Comment

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Please someone confirm the stability of the 4.2 update on iPad, I'm going away in a couple of weeks and want to have 4.2 on it for the trip. And confirm it syncs with iTunes (PC please?). Thanks!

Um, it's the first Beta. I don't care how stable it seems to be to start off with, I think it's insane to load it if you are going to be away for 2 weeks...

Comment

WiiMarioHacker

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Expected Public Release: Anywhere from November 10 onwards according to Apple's Bi-weekly BETA releasing.

Comment

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I'm going to hold off on installing mine until I see some feedback for iPad and iPhone 4. I use these devices daily and serious bugs would effect me greatly. I learned my lesson with v3.0 beta.

Comment

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Ipad rules baby!!!!!!!

The iPad is not going to get a retina display - that would require a 2048x1536 resolution 9.7" display. That doesn't exist yet and if it did it would be cost prohibitive. It's one thing to make a little 3.5" display 'retina' but it's another to do so with a 4x larger display. This is the same reason why there won't be any 'retina display' macs any time soon. My guess is that the earliest we could see an iPad with a 'retina display' is in two years time. Probably more.

Comment

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
Ipad rules baby!!!!!!!

ah, I don't get viruses on my Windows 7 (or XP, or Vista) machines (6 ea.) either. geez, you act like everyone without an Apple device MUST have viruses. I've been computing since 1985 and while I had a couple decades ago, I haven't had a virus in so long I can't count the years. you might want to stop with the "apple is so superior" attitude.

Comment

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
4 PC in my home, no antivirus on any of them. Never had a virus.

Common Sense=Win

Also excited for 4.2!

Comment

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Ipad rules baby!!!!!!!

It wont have a retina display most likely, but most likely will have a higher res. display. I'd put my money on around 1600x1200

It also probably wont have a 1.5 Ghz CPU. It would be like a 1 Ghz dual core Cortex A9 with 512 MB of ram.

Comment

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

123816-ios_4_2_beta.jpg

As noted by CoveringWeb, Apple has pushed out to developers the first beta version of iOS 4.2. At its media event on September 1st, Apple announced that iOS 4.2 would be released in November and would unify iOS across Apple's mobile devices, bringing iOS 4 features such as multitasking to the iPad for the first time.

Soon after the media event, Apple posted a preview page showing some of the features coming to the iPad in iOS 4.2, including the multitasking and folders already available in iOS 4 for iPhone and iPod touch but also such features as printing and AirPlay support for streaming media from the iPad.

Coming just a week after the public launch of iOS 4.1 for iPhone and iPod touch, the initial iOS 4.2 beta is available for iPad, iPhone (3G, 3GS, and 4) and iPod touch (second-, third-, and fourth-generation).

Article Link: Apple Releases First iOS 4.2 Beta for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch

all i want to know is "what's in it for me" as a 4G touch owner. anyone know what new features will be in 4.2?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.