Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Permissions are a nightmare. I got fed up and erased my hard drive after backing up and created a new user. Now it seems to be much happier.

Modjo

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2005
Hey guys, PAY ATTENTION, PLEASE.
I strongly recommend G5 users to download the full-110 MB 10.5.1 update.

When I started Leopard's update process to 10.5.1 using Software Update, it detected only the 39 MB-sized version.
All went on smoothly, except for a BIG and PAINFUL issue revealed after the update: I selected the Airport on the Finder's Shared Sidebar, then I double-clicked on the folder's icon that represents the hard drive connected to the Airport base via USB

Well..... it didn't show. The "segmented wheel" on the lower-right side of the Finder's window was spinning and spinning and spinning.
I decided to disconnect all the users from the disk connected to the Airport, then I rebooted the iMac and connected such disk on an iMac's USB port.
Disk Utility revealed a fatal corruption on the USB hard drive, nothing that could be corrected.
So I give Drive Genius a try: nothing at all, even REBUILDING the drive's structure.

REMEMBER: even if (see bold up here) I disconnected from the Airport disk using one of the most reliable ways (just because "eject" icon on Finder's window, the best way among the others, didn't work), all the drive's content was corrupted, unusable, impossible to open.

Then, when I decided to download the 110-sized update and installed it on the previous smaller one, everything FIXED. Now the external hard drive can be reached when connected to the Airport's USB port.

Please, check this out and tell me if anybody else has got the same results.

Thank you,

Luca.

I used to have problems with my DVD writer which gave me "laser calibration" errors and my HD would need repair after just hours of working on a clean install.
I did the same thing and it worked like a charm.

My MBP does take quite a long time to boot (probably because of both updates being installed on top of each other), but it's working great once booted :D.

hbj

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
I've run dozens of Macs since the Classic and Leopard's been a nightmare. Logic Pro won't even launch on a single machine, Mail lost all my messages, Safari crashes within seconds, Spaces ignores Opera, there's no end to the problems.

And not a word from the mothership.

Way to go, Apple.

hbj

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but Leopard sure does seem MUCH faster and snappier.

No you're right, it is snappier and faster.

But that's because it only has to do half the things Tiger did. The other half is all bugs now.

redfriar

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Wales, UK
all of the machines are clean installs with no haxies or any thing like that
i'm happy for u that your mac pros work but with i am still convinced 100% that this is a software related problem. like i said we bought these at different times and so they are different minor revisions,2 of which we just bought less than 3 months ago.and again all of these mac pros ran perfect without even a single graphic glitch until the exact moment Leopard was installed

the chances of this happening on every one of the mac pros with x1900 cards,but not on our imac or macbook,all the moment of install and that it would be a random hardware failure that never appeared at all before-------probability wise is probably less than the chance that the earth will spontaneously implode. seriously speaking though,there really is no way that that could happen with the hardware.we push the computers much more than leopard does on its own with other applications so the increased processing requirements of leopard vs tiger for some of the gpu interface effects that some have brought up are still nowhere near enough to even make a mark on the power of these machines

i'm not trying to start an argument here but it seems that too many of you refuse no matter what under ANY circumstances to blame apple or hold them responsible for anything at all.
yes there problems with some ATI products and i could come to terms if we would have had a problem with it before heck even the day before leopard was installed.even if it spontaneously happened on 2 machines. i could at least explore the possibility that it was the x1900 card at that point.

but since the problems started immediately after installing a totally clean leopard install,with the latest firmware updates-----and it happened immediately with every other mac pro + x1900 configuration we have including mine at home and a few friends with this setup-----there is just no possible way,i repeat NO way that it could just be a coincidence and every one of those perfectly functioning machines [and x1900s] happened to randomly fail at exactly the same time and on the first boot after installing leopard.like i said before there is no physical way this could ever happen with such precision

and there are huge numbers of other reports of this exact same thing that are posted on apple discussion boards.though they keep deleting some of them to try to hide it,as they are doing with many other negative issues as well [that is just NOT right].
i love :apple: but my faith in their ingenuity [stacks taking away best feature ---- hierarchal dock folders,etc] and apparent blatant disregard for quality control is sure making me rethink the way i see the company.
Also the fact that they are deleting so many 'negative' posts on their own public discussion boards is starting to feel like communistic Russia and state-controlled media,its ridiculous

This does sound like a software problem - whether it's Leopard itself or compatibility with other apps is the question. Try the basics:

Start with a fresh install of Leopard and give it a try with nothing else installed. If that doesn't work then you've got serious issues and I'd contact Apple. They'll have a reproducible problem that they can investigate.

If it checks out then install one app at a time and test - until you hit the problem app.

tribulation

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
jackson hole, wy
This does sound like a software problem - whether it's Leopard itself or compatibility with other apps is the question. Try the basics:

Start with a fresh install of Leopard and give it a try with nothing else installed. If that doesn't work then you've got serious issues and I'd contact Apple. They'll have a reproducible problem that they can investigate.

If it checks out then install one app at a time and test - until you hit the problem app.

Thanks, but we've gone through all of that to no avail. even with no other apps installed the same lines and artifacts are drawn constantly over the display,and it happens on all of the models we have here

and yes,we have upgraded the firmware on the x1900s on all except 1 machine------doesnt seem to matter either way as they all have the problems

when booted back into tiger on all of those macs,the artifacts and lines disappear completely.in tiger they are completely gone,even when pushing the machine with a gpu intensive app or game. then we restart that same machine into leopard and the issues are back immediately.
the issue is reproducible on thousands of other machines and screenshots of it have been posted all over the web.just the fact that a screenshot can be taken of the glitches means that even in other cases,it isnt a cable issue or such.its definitely just a major defect for pro users that shelled out top dollar to get the best.yet even with the thousands of posts on their discussion boards they havent acknowledged it yet officially and havent fixed it [but they sure have enough manpower to quickly delete the reports from their public discussion board] :mad:

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I've run dozens of Macs since the Classic and Leopard's been a nightmare. Logic Pro won't even launch on a single machine, Mail lost all my messages, Safari crashes within seconds, Spaces ignores Opera, there's no end to the problems.

And not a word from the mothership.

Way to go, Apple.

Wow... I've got 2 machines running Leopard and I have NONE of those problems.... I say "Way to go YOU". How you messed it up that bad is surprising. Mail retained all my messages fine, I run Both Logic Express 7 and Logic Express 8 without a hitch. Safari has only crashed on me once in MySpace (I don't use it but, my girlfriend was one night) and I don't use Opera or Spaces.... both stupid.

redfriar

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Wales, UK
Man, that sucks.

Have you experimented with the graphic's resolution etc. - to see if there's a certain point it goes tits-up. If other people are reporting their Pros are behaving (and they have the same setup as you) it must be something particular with your setup. As you say, 6 out of 6 hardware malfunctions is not going to happen.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
No you're right, it is snappier and faster.

But that's because it only has to do half the things Tiger did. The other half is all bugs now.

How do you figure it only does half of what Tiger did? I'm with the people who aren't really impressed with Leopard but, just because Tiger was more stable doesn't mean that Leopard only does half the things Tiger did. Also, Leopard will get more stable as Apple fixes it's problems... don't worry... we all hated Tiger at first too... I was in the "I hate Tiger" threads back then... pretty soon, Apple fixed it and we all forgot about how much it sucked before... Leopard will be the same way... you just wait.

tribulation

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
jackson hole, wy
Man, that sucks.

Have you experimented with the graphic's resolution etc. - to see if there's a certain point it goes tits-up. If other people are reporting their Pros are behaving (and they have the same setup as you) it must be something particular with your setup. As you say, 6 out of 6 hardware malfunctions is not going to happen.

i've seen some posts that said they get less problems when running under their monitor's top resolution. a few people with 23 inch cinema displays [like me] said that they get less artifacts at lower than max resolutions like 1600x1200,not that these machines even stuttered before in tiger at the max resolution,but there's something weird going on obviously

i tried that on my home mac pro and there does seem to be less artifacts and lines but they do still appear.also have tried disabling quartz extreme but it has no noticeable effect. it really sucks because even for those that a lower resolution works [better], 1600x1200 or lower is a big step down from something like 1920x1200 [max on 23 inch cinema displays and similar monitors. though it is reported to happen on any size monitor i only have experience with 23, 20, and 26 inch ones and it effects all of them the same]

like many of the other bugs in leopard and everything else they make,they are SO slow to officially 'recognize' even gigantic flaws. there are tons of reports of people bringing in their mac pros,having the apple store send them out to get a new x1900,waiting 3 or more days and then taking it home all to realize that the problem hasnt changed. being so widely reported and since it is obviously a pretty big issue on the major leopard bug scale, keeping mum and not even saying the problem exists must be costing :apple: a bundle. doesnt make sense. who knows maybe the silence as usual has been calculated to to not cost as much long term as admitting huge design and QA flaws outright? i have not a clue
what i do know is that the problem is real and if the entire Apple Inc. doesnt have more than 3 or 4 mac pros that they have tested on,they are nuts. since this is almost surely not the case and they almost certainly DID have more than a few mac pros in this configuration [again the most popular mac pro they sell by far] and are still not acknowledging this flaw,things at the old :apple: are slipping far too fast and drastic. :eek:

in all my years using Macs,i have never seen this amount of sheer dissatisfaction and bad design,implementation,& testing as has been shown with leopard and the company as a whole over the past year or so.
not to mention the utter disrespect and outright disregard for their customers by erasing the majority of posts on their message boards that point out problems or bugs, or even simple questions by truly confused people that are stuck [like 'i installed leopard and my hard drive wont mount. can someone please help?'-----posts similar to that and anything that may point out a trouble spot in leopard are just deleted]
that is NOT a very truthful or helpful way of dealing with issues that people may be having with a product they have spend thousands of dollars on :mad:

the earlier comments on here about leopard being 'Apple's Vista' have been shot down all too fast by most people on here i think.
in many ways it is really the reality that :apple: managed to get themselves into and they should be held responsible for handling things as they have recently. YES all software has bugs and YES many people are using leopard without problems. BUT there are also TONS of users that have been stunned by leopard and :apple:'s apparent lack of progress over the past 2 years. there are some great ideas that have not been even close to fully implemented [look at the WWDC leopard samples of Stacks for example] and instead of following their usually dead-on experience with usability they decided to put marketing over---FAR OVER-----the actual needs of the majority of customers. and it is stinking more everyday. :confused:

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
FWIW. I managed to restore my missing Dashboard app from my Time Machine backup. I am still not sure why it disappeared after updating to 10.5.1 though.:confused:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The only two problems I have had are my wireless dying (on both Macbooks but not my iPhone) and Mail using large amounts of memory to check one mailbox (gmail).

Other than that I am enjoying my Leopard experience.

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
Since installing the 10.5.1 update, my mbp freezes completely when changing network locations after waking from sleep.

zRedbullz

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
UK
How did you guys fixed your airport issues? Did the update and now I can't connect to my wireless router.

Tried all sorts of settings and all I get is ''network timed out'' or ''can't connect.

:mad:

Retired
May 16, 2006
...at this rate, I think I may wait until 10.5.4

Don't be convinced by all the complainers (many with very reasonable comments) that 10.5.1 is bad for everyone. For the vast majority of us it is very stable.

As someone who for months used the constantly crashing Safari 3 beta, I find the final Safari so stable that it feels like the whole OS is better (I spend 90% of my computing time in Safari) :)

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
...at this rate, I think I may wait until 10.5.4

If I were someone who was completely happy with Tiger, I would wait for another round of updates before heading over.

But, many may disagree with me :eek:

I am satisfied with Leopard but it still is very bug-ridden for me and both my iMac and MBP

iezzip

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
10.5.1: JPEG corruption on external USB-drive

Did anybody encounter JPEG corruption on file copies/moves to an external USB drive on Leopard 10.5.1? Could you please give me some feedback?
Here's my detailed bug description: Leopard 10.5.1 massive data loss bug / JPEG corruption
Leo corrupts JPEG data, destroys my whole partition of the external hard disk on every reboot, and crashes each time I plugin my USB-bluetooth stick (Logitech diNovo).
In my eyes, Leo is not yet ready for a production environment. I hope to see a huge 10.5.2 upgrade soon!

take care
Pipo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.