Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I never had any problems with leopard on our new iMac, except for the occasion Mail hangs when shutting down. I haven't experienced that since 10.5.1.

I have the feeling that some of the bugs people experience could be due to the fact that a clean install was not preformed. I know it's extreme, but I've meet so many people who basically took a Mac that hasn't been upgraded or updated since 10.3.9 and report so many buggy features on Leopard. I can't say there is anything wrong with this build. Right now, I have 17 apps and everything is smooth. Thank you, :apple:!

No, not true at all. I performed 3 Leopard upgrades on 3 machines, I had and still have no problems. I know at least 3 people who did clean installs and have problems that I don't. I have also read several forums with people who did clean installs that have problems that I do not.

xpisnotforme

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2007
leopard update stable but stupid

my imac was blazing fast all around with leopard, but as soon as the update came up it went back to tiger speeds....:(

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
No, not true at all. I performed 3 Leopard upgrades on 3 machines, I had and still have no problems. I know at least 3 people who did clean installs and have problems that I don't. I have also read several forums with people who did clean installs that have problems that I do not.

I have tested this my self on 5 mac pros, 4 mbp, and 5 mb. For me, by far the most reliable method was erase and install.

Erase an install resulted in perfect error free installations 14 out of 14 times. Update resulted in error free installation only 5 of 14 times.

I did my test by using Carbon copy cloner to clone the Tiger system drive on an external drive. I then performed an update first. Tested all apps. Next I performed an erase and install and loaded all apps and files from the external drive.

So if you are having troubles, I would definitely try a clean install using erase and install rather than performing an upgrade. Too many 3rd party hacks and old preference files cause issues on an upgrade install.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I immediately had problems with connecting to my AirPort with 10.5.1 that I didn't have with 10.5.0. There is a problem with this update, not the method in which it (or Leopard) is installed.

If Tiger can do it, then Leopard can too. Right now, however, that isn't the consistent case.

So why did you go back to Tiger if 10.5 was working. I understand that 10.5.1 gave you problems but if 10.5 worked then it is an update problem not a leopard problem.

These kind of issues are hard to track down because of the numerous network configs that people can have. I have several macbooks and mbps that work like a charm with airport and shared drives running 10.5.1. So there is something unique about your setup that is causing the problem. Evidently the 10.5.1 update doesn't handle your network setup properly.

ifonline

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Braselton, Georgia
So why did you go back to Tiger if 10.5 was working. I understand that 10.5.1 gave you problems but if 10.5 worked then it is an update problem not a leopard problem.

These kind of issues are hard to track down because of the numerous network configs that people can have. I have several macbooks and mbps that work like a charm with airport and shared drives running 10.5.1. So there is something unique about your setup that is causing the problem. Evidently the 10.5.1 update doesn't handle your network setup properly.

Because this wasn't the only issue I was experiencing. Icons slowly refreshing in Finder windows, Stacks being a horrible replacement for cascading menus, the transparent menu bar, certain software incompatibilities, etc. I'll move to Leopard when I believe it is ready for my use, but currently it is not.

I agree that it's difficult to track down reasons why this isn't working. However, I don't believe their is anything unusual about my AirPort setup. There may be, of course, but I don't think so. Odd. Frustrating. Something for Apple to figure out, not me.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I have tested this my self on 5 mac pros, 4 mbp, and 5 mb. For me, by far the most reliable method was erase and install.

Erase an install resulted in perfect error free installations 14 out of 14 times. Update resulted in error free installation only 5 of 14 times.

I did my test by using Carbon copy cloner to clone the Tiger system drive on an external drive. I then performed an update first. Tested all apps. Next I performed an erase and install and loaded all apps and files from the external drive.

So if you are having troubles, I would definitely try a clean install using erase and install rather than performing an upgrade. Too many 3rd party hacks and old preference files cause issues on an upgrade install.

Well...MY tests totally prove your tests wrong. So don't be so sure your tests are what every one else experiencing. I have upgraded many many machines with many Apple operating systems and I have NEVER done a clean install and have NEVER had problems. So I can say that more than 14 out of more than 14 times resulted in perfect error free installations with simple upgrades.

tribulation

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
jackson hole, wy
Sorry to hear that you are having persistent troubles.

Do you have Applecare? Because this is definitely your local issue and is not as widespread as you presume. I have never seen your problem and I have seen many many mac pros with X1900 GPUs. I have 20 in my business, I am using a mac pro now, and I have been to several Apple stores with the same config of mac pro. No problem with Leopard.

Are you performing clean installs or are you upgrading from Tiger with some pre-existing software? I wonder if there is a piece of software or a third party Tiger hack that is causing your problem? Are your mac pros all the same revision and using similar monitors?

It does sound like an over-heating graphics card but I would have thought you would have the same problem under Tiger.

Strange!

all of the machines are clean installs with no haxies or any thing like that
i'm happy for u that your mac pros work but with i am still convinced 100% that this is a software related problem. like i said we bought these at different times and so they are different minor revisions,2 of which we just bought less than 3 months ago.and again all of these mac pros ran perfect without even a single graphic glitch until the exact moment Leopard was installed

the chances of this happening on every one of the mac pros with x1900 cards,but not on our imac or macbook,all the moment of install and that it would be a random hardware failure that never appeared at all before-------probability wise is probably less than the chance that the earth will spontaneously implode. seriously speaking though,there really is no way that that could happen with the hardware.we push the computers much more than leopard does on its own with other applications so the increased processing requirements of leopard vs tiger for some of the gpu interface effects that some have brought up are still nowhere near enough to even make a mark on the power of these machines

i'm not trying to start an argument here but it seems that too many of you refuse no matter what under ANY circumstances to blame apple or hold them responsible for anything at all.
yes there problems with some ATI products and i could come to terms if we would have had a problem with it before heck even the day before leopard was installed.even if it spontaneously happened on 2 machines. i could at least explore the possibility that it was the x1900 card at that point.

but since the problems started immediately after installing a totally clean leopard install,with the latest firmware updates-----and it happened immediately with every other mac pro + x1900 configuration we have including mine at home and a few friends with this setup-----there is just no possible way,i repeat NO way that it could just be a coincidence and every one of those perfectly functioning machines [and x1900s] happened to randomly fail at exactly the same time and on the first boot after installing leopard.like i said before there is no physical way this could ever happen with such precision

and there are huge numbers of other reports of this exact same thing that are posted on apple discussion boards.though they keep deleting some of them to try to hide it,as they are doing with many other negative issues as well [that is just NOT right].
i love :apple: but my faith in their ingenuity [stacks taking away best feature ---- hierarchal dock folders,etc] and apparent blatant disregard for quality control is sure making me rethink the way i see the company.
Also the fact that they are deleting so many 'negative' posts on their own public discussion boards is starting to feel like communistic Russia and state-controlled media,its ridiculous

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Dashboard disappeared since 10.5.1 update?

I've updated to 10.5.1 and now Dashboard has disappeared :( I can invoke it by using F12 but the Dashboard Dock icon just displays the "?" symbol and there is no Dashboard app in my Apps folder. Creating a new user account has no affect but I am still able to invoke it by F12. Any ideas anyone?

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
I've updated to 10.5.1 and now Dashboard has disappeared :( I can invoke it by using F12 but the Dashboard Dock icon just displays the "?" symbol and there is no Dashboard app in my Apps folder. Creating a new user account has no affect but I am still able to invoke it by F12. Any ideas anyone?

try creating a new dock shortcut for dasboard

leedom

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
Leopard hangs my machine repeatedly: downgrading to Tiger

Well I have to say that Leopard is by far the worst experience I've ever had with any Mac OS/X upgrade. My systems (both PPC/G4) are slower and my laptop has hung four times now in the last two weeks -- twice in the last 24 hours. It's absolutely unusable as far as I can tell. I will almost certainly buy future Apple products but this is a huge black eye for the company as far as I'm concerned. What a disappointment. One of the things I've come to value most about Apple -- it's products "just work" -- has been significantly eroded. Apple, stop everything else you're doing and fix this mess.

Casey

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA

Not sure how that happened to you, most of us are having little to no problems whatsoever. I have my dashboard icon, have the app and dashboard works fine.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Keyboard

After installing 10.5.1 using Apple's Software Update, my macbook pro (2.4ghz c2d 2gb ram) my keyboard freezes for a couple moments at a time, then is normal for a moment, and freezes again.

I think I got it fixed by doing the following:

1) manually downloaded ad installed the full 10.5.1 update package (about 110mb)
2) when the update and the following reboots were finished, I logged in, then shutdown the computer

3) unplug the power cable, and pulled out the battery, let the computer sit for a couple minutes, then press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds a few times.

4) replaced the batter and power cable.

5) reset the PRAM (by holding P+R+Option+Command during boot )
after the computer has chimed and restarted a couple times then let the computer boot up normally.

That seemed to clear it up for me, and thought I'd just share it just in case it could help someone else.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
After installing 10.5.1 using Apple's Software Update, my macbook pro (2.4ghz c2d 2gb ram) my keyboard freezes for a couple moments at a time, then is normal for a moment, and freezes again.

I think I got it fixed by doing the following:

1) manually downloaded ad installed the full 10.5.1 update package (about 110mb)
2) when the update and the following reboots were finished, I logged in, then shutdown the computer

3) unplug the power cable, and pulled out the battery, let the computer sit for a couple minutes, then press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds a few times.

4) replaced the batter and power cable.

5) reset the PRAM (by holding P+R+Option+Command during boot )
after the computer has chimed and restarted a couple times then let the computer boot up normally.

That seemed to clear it up for me, and thought I'd just share it just in case it could help someone else.

Maybe you should have danced around and clucked like a chicken while you were at it.:D

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I so want to not moan about 10.5.1 but in fairness I am getting some odd behaviour on occasion, no biggies but I do have to restart my Macbook a lot more often which is a pain!

The only big problem I'm experiencing at the moment is responsiveness and when unmounting my external harddrives (3x WD 500Gb), they are still present on the desktop and in finder. If you click on them, it realises they are not mounted and disappear yet still remains in finder..

When moving files, it sometimes fails to ever bring up a 'copy progress' box and just sits there.. unable to do anything or even unmount the drive, I have to kill finder and sometimes have to hard restart. :mad:

Other than that its great!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've imaged 3 Macs (2 Intel, 1 PowerPC) from the same image I built from an Intel Mac mini running 10.5.1.

They all work great and NFS support seems to be a lot better under Leopard. :D

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Well...MY tests totally prove your tests wrong. So don't be so sure your tests are what every one else experiencing. I have upgraded many many machines with many Apple operating systems and I have NEVER done a clean install and have NEVER had problems. So I can say that more than 14 out of more than 14 times resulted in perfect error free installations with simple upgrades.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I am sure that you have had absolutely no trouble upgrading as most people don't. But when someone does have trouble upgrading to Leopard, a lot of the time the problem stems from legacy software settings, previous preferences, bad plist files etc. An erase and install installation is the only way to insure a clean fresh system.

Honestly, how can an update install be more reliable than an erase and install, the erase and install is basically the same thing only without all of the legacy files to possibly corrupt the system.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
i love :apple: but my faith in their ingenuity [stacks taking away best feature ---- hierarchal dock folders,etc] and apparent blatant disregard for quality control is sure making me rethink the way i see the company.
Also the fact that they are deleting so many 'negative' posts on their own public discussion boards is starting to feel like communistic Russia and state-controlled media,its ridiculous

I understand your pain and I hope that your graphics problem is resolved soon. I was just wondering about your setup and installation because there are so many of us that have mac pros with the ATI X1900 card and do not have any problem. It seems odd that most work fine but some are completely screwed up and that you have so many that are not working properly.

Had you performed the most recent Mac Pro firmware update that occurred about a month ago. I wonder if possibly you had older firmware before updating to Leopard and possibly that is causing the conflict?

Here is a link to the most recent EFI firmware and it should have been applied prior to Leopard install.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macproefifirmwareupdate12.html

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
The new update did nothing to really improve the problems I have been having with Leopard on my MacBookPro.

I continue getting freezes/crashes with Safari. Never had those with Tiger. I continue getting freezes/crashes with iTunes. Never had those with Tiger.

I took people's advice and did a complete delete/install and still am having problems.

Programs take longer to load under Leopard and stability is really much worse for me

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Time to take it in

The new update did nothing to really improve the problems I have been having with Leopard on my MacBookPro.

I continue getting freezes/crashes with Safari. Never had those with Tiger. I continue getting freezes/crashes with iTunes. Never had those with Tiger.

I took people's advice and did a complete delete/install and still am having problems.

Programs take longer to load under Leopard and stability is really much worse for me

Your issues seem to be unique so it might be time to take it in for some serious help. Unless someone here can help; but why wait.

ebev

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
Brunswick, Ga
Really?? I always had that problem, I mean dimming the screen after restart no matter what I change in system preferences. Not only in 10.5 but 10.4 as well. And not only on one computer.
So maybe you think about something else???

That is something built into Mac OS. I made a script file that will fix that. You just have to run the script every time you boot the computer. I can only fine the "run-only" script right now when I find the editable script file I will post it somewhere.

Towhead

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
Well I have to say that Leopard is by far the worst experience I've ever had with any Mac OS/X upgrade. My systems (both PPC/G4) are slower and my laptop has hung four times now in the last two weeks -- twice in the last 24 hours. It's absolutely unusable as far as I can tell. I will almost certainly buy future Apple products but this is a huge black eye for the company as far as I'm concerned. What a disappointment. One of the things I've come to value most about Apple -- it's products "just work" -- has been significantly eroded. Apple, stop everything else you're doing and fix this mess.

Casey

Ive got the update both installed on my SR Macbook and my G4 with a Gigdesigns 1.8 from the disks that came with the macbook. (temporary measure, I've since bought a legal copy of Leopard)

There was a bit of a hiccup, though, on the G4. At first, the Mac wouldn't start after doing an upgrade. It'd give me the tone, and then boop, back off it'd go. Even single-user mode would fail. It'd start shooting text, and after it said USBsomething, it'd shut off. Took out the USB card, and the USBsomething message wasn't any longer the last one shown, so there's some driver loaded right after the USB driver that's the culprit but I've not yet dug in. Don't need to.

Next, I told it to install on the external firewire drive, instead. This time, it was successful -- the computer would boot off the external, and all was fine until I did a system update and installed some of the iLife apps via pacifist. At that point, I was back to square one with one very important difference, however, and that is I'd migrated all files from the internal 120GB (Sawtooth+Radeon 8500). What this meant is that I could go ahead and wipe the internal as often as I wanted to reinstall in case this problem persists, all my data remains on the external.

Whatever happened, though, the Leopard install onto the blank disk has been just fine, and with Time machine making regular backups, I'm in pretty good shape in the what I hope is the unlikely event I'll be unable to restore from Time Machine, and even if I can't, I can always restore Time machine onto another external disk (I'll buy it if I have to) and then re-migrate. I'm pretty safe now.

Leopard hasn't given me any other issues and I think it's rather a nice change; Tiger was great, Leopard is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.