Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update to public beta testers for testing purposes, two days after seeding the first 10.12.4 beta to developers and three days after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the 10.12.4 macOS Sierra beta through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and macOS Sierra betas. Betas should not be installed on a primary machine due to the potential for instability.

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 brings iOS's popular Night Shift mode to the Mac, allowing users to cut down on blue light exposure. Believed to affect sleep by upsetting the body's circadian rhythm, blue light is thought to be more harmful than yellow light.

With Night Shift, the Mac's display automatically shifts from cool to warm at sunset and then shifts back at sunrise. Users can also set custom times for the display's colors to shift, or toggle the effect on manually. A Toggle to turn Night Shift on is available in the Notification Center, and Siri can also be used to activate the feature. macOS Sierra 10.12.4 also includes Shanghainese dictation support, cricket scores for Siri, and PDFKit improvements.

Article Link: Apple Releases First macOS Sierra 10.12.4 Public Beta With New Night Shift Mode

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Build is 16E144f and Safari is 10.1 now.

I haven't seen anything like this in System Report before:

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 1.17.28 PM.png

Reactions: HansHeino

RichardDue

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2016

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update to public beta testers for testing purposes, two days after seeding the first 10.12.4 beta to developers and three days after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the 10.12.4 macOS Sierra beta through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and macOS Sierra betas. Betas should not be installed on a primary machine due to the potential for instability.

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 brings iOS's popular Night Shift mode to the Mac, allowing users to cut down on blue light exposure. Believed to affect sleep by upsetting the body's circadian rhythm, blue light is thought to be more harmful than yellow light.

With Night Shift, the Mac's display automatically shifts from cool to warm at sunset and then shifts back at sunrise. Users can also set custom times for the display's colors to shift, or toggle the effect on manually. A Toggle to turn Night Shift on is available in the Notification Center, and Siri can also be used to activate the feature. macOS Sierra 10.12.4 also includes Shanghainese dictation support, cricket scores for Siri, and PDFKit improvements.

Article Link: Apple Releases First macOS Sierra 10.12.4 Public Beta With New Night Shift Mode
[doublepost=1485456803][/doublepost]Any sign of APFS? I see that the new beta of iOS has it.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I like nightshift with iOS. I can't believe it hasn't been added in the last couple of updates on macs.

jwm

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
Redondo Beach, California
Is anyone using this release in a production environment? Generally the x.4 betas have been quite stable, but in the case where they have included additional features I'd be interested to know of any fundamental issues.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Can one of you fine people help me understand what the point of your posts are. I mean, they aren't funny, they provide no useful information. They turn away anyone who might come here for actual help or information. One can only get the impression that MacRumors is meant to be a joke and not taken seriously. Is that really what the owners want? How very sad.

Even after adding about a 100 to my ignore list, I still see this nonsense. I guess it's time to add more. However it would appear the supply of useless contributors is endless. How many ignored people can be added to the list by the forum software?
You're relatively new here, aren't you?

You see, this is a public forum where people can add their opinions and ideas concerning any given topic publicly.

If you don't like it, you're welcome to leave or continue ignoring anyone and everyone who rubs you the wrong way. Additionally, you may flag any comment you feel inappropriate, and forum moderators will take a look.

Best of luck, and may I suggest lightening up a bit?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can one of you fine people help me understand what the point of your posts are. I mean, they aren't funny, they provide no useful information. They turn away anyone who might come here for actual help or information. One can only get the impression that MacRumors is meant to be a joke and not taken seriously. Is that really what the owners want? How very sad.

Even after adding about a 100 to my ignore list, I still see this nonsense. I guess it's time to add more. However it would appear the supply of useless contributors is endless. How many ignored people can be added to the list by the forum software?
What's the point of my post? Seems fairly clear--asking another user about a post that that user made which was fairly generic and/or vague at best, to see if there was anything in particular to it. (Especially in the context of the user making similar generic/vague posts of that nature before.) Not sure how anything else you brought up ties to anything related to my post.

On the other hand, seems like what you bring up can quite directly apply to some of your own posts, like this one:
What gets me is when I'm sitting at home watching a movie and I hear dogs barking outside, loud trucks idling, and people talking. This is unacceptable and has to end. And BTW, when I'm going to drive on the freeway at rush hour, I want all those other cars off the freeway!

Last edited:

Pruus

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
Night shift Does not work with late 2010 iMac, just checked on my 10.12.4 beta.

Hedwigg

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
It might just be me, but... updating to this beta broke Remote Desktop for me. When I click "Check for Updates" (see attached screenshot), nothing is available. Hopefully Apple releases an ARD update soon. Just a heads up if any sysadmins are thinking about updating...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 11.36.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 11.36.42 AM.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 331

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
will the night shift mode only work with retina screens?
Better not be the case. Backing up now. Joining the public beta only to try to get Night Shift on my MBA. They better not keep Night Shift just for Retina displays. That'd severely piss me off.

Minuteman3

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
I've checked under Displays and the Notification Center and there's no sign of Night Shift on my 2011 Air. :-(

Is there somewhere else it needs to be enabled?

Cheers!!

Ken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.