Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new EFI Update for the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, which is designed to fix issues that caused the built-in keyboard and trackpad to freeze up and stop functioning. Apple recommends that all late 2013 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro owners install the update.

efiupdate.jpg
This update is recommended for MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, late 2013) models.

This update addresses an issue where the built-in keyboard and Multi-Touch trackpad may become unresponsive.
Users first began noticing issues that caused the keyboard and the trackpad of the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro to freeze up shortly after the computer was released on October 22.

Multiple threads on Apple's Support Forums highlighted the issues and prompted Apple to notify users last week that it was working on a fix. While it was unclear whether the keyboard and trackpad unresponsiveness was due to a hardware or a software issue, it appears to be software-based and repairable with the EFI update.

The EFI update should be available through the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store for all users with an affected MacBook. Apple has also released an EFI update for the late 2013 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Apple Releases Fix for 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Keyboard and Trackpad Issues

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
When are they finally gonna fix that thing and that other thing?!

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Is the 15" affected?

Anyone know if the 15" late 2013 rMBP has experienced any of these problems?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Now everyone can stop complaining enough to the point they feel like they have to return their Mac.

JoeJerde

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
Haha, just one day after I returned it to get a replacement at the Apple store. Good to know that it's just a software issue.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
This may sound like a complete noob question, but why is it appearing in my downloads? I have neither a 13" rMBP or a NVIDIA dGPU, I have the base 15" Late 2013 rMBP! Should I download anyway?

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
This may sound like a complete noob question, but why is it appearing in my downloads? I have neither a 13" rMBP or a NVIDIA dGPU, I have the base 15" Late 2013 rMBP! Should I download anyway?

I see. They just also released an update for the 15" for other issues!

TheCakeIsALie

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
My late 2013 rMBP 15" got an EFI update as well, addressing an issue with performance of the discrete nVidia GPU upon waking from sleep.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
I'd been quite lucky with this as I'd only experienced it twice in the week or so since I got my new MPB and just closing the lid to force sleep for a few seconds fixed it both times without the need for a restart but it is always good to see Apple on the ball and releasing a pretty quick fix for these issues. :)

Now if only getting windows 7 to install in bootcamp was as easy to resolve.... it gets to 65% through expanding windows files and just seems to hang - something to do with installing from a memory stick in a USB3 port according to "the internet" but I don't really have much choice in that regard as there aren't any usb 2 ports any more.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009

Never mind looks like it is for the 15 . Check your updates

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I'd been quite lucky with this as I'd only experienced it twice in the week or so since I got my new MPB and just closing the lid to force sleep for a few seconds fixed it both times without the need for a restart but it is always good to see Apple on the ball and releasing a pretty quick fix for these issues. :)

Now if only getting windows 7 to install in bootcamp was as easy to resolve.... it gets to 65% through expanding windows files and just seems to hang - something to do with installing from a memory stick in a USB3 port according to "the internet" but I don't really have much choice in that regard as there aren't any usb 2 ports any more.

I had tons of issues getting Windows 7 onto my new rMBP. I tried three different high speed USB drives and none worked. Finally went to the store and bought the cheapest Sandisk 16GB USB drive I could find and it worked like a charm.

Angra-mainju

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
UK
You know I'm at the uni and sometimes I organise company presentations. The last thing I wanted during a large asset management company to happen is my computer to crash lol

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
I had tons of issues getting Windows 7 onto my new rMBP. I tried three different high speed USB drives and none worked. Finally went to the store and bought the cheapest Sandisk 16GB USB drive I could find and it worked like a charm.

I may have to try that and pick up a cheap stick on my way into work in the morning.... the only other 8Gb memory stick I've got is identical to the one that is failing and it won't let me use my other brand 4Gb stick as it claims insufficient capacity...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.