Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of next week's launch of iOS 12, watchOS 5, and tvOS 12, Apple has released an updated version of the Shortcuts app that will be available once iOS 12 is released.

The new Shortcuts beta is the golden master (GM) version of the app, which represents the final version of the app that will be provided to consumers.

shortcutslibrary-800x655.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, the new Shortcuts update introduces new actions that were not available during the beta testing period, with "Limited actions available in beta" listed as a resolved issue.

Over the course of the iOS 12 beta testing period, access to the Shortcuts iOS app via Testflight has been limited to developers. Public beta testers and general consumers will be able to experience the Shortcuts app for the first time next week.

For those unfamiliar with Shortcuts, it's an iOS 12 Siri feature designed to let you create multi-step shortcuts using first and third-party apps that can be activated by Siri voice command.

So, for example, you can create a shortcut to do something like turn on the thermostat at home using the Nest app, text your roommate that you're on the way with Messages, and open up the Maps app with directions home all with a single "I'm going home" Siri command.

Shortcuts are deeply customizable, with third-party apps able to expose a series of quick actions to Siri that can be incorporated into your Shortcuts recipes. Apps are expected to begin releasing updates with Siri Shortcuts support and other iOS 12 features starting next week.

Apple will release iOS 12, watchOS 5, and tvOS 12 to the public on Monday, September 17. The software updates will likely be released at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

Article Link: Apple Releases Golden Master Version of iOS 12 Shortcuts App

Reactions: mdarcelin

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
IMO this is the best iOS 12 feature.

Being able to control home automation products using Siri is most of the reason I bought into HomeKit, so being able to go outside of HomeKit and still have Siri support is a big deal. It is going to be great to tie this into apps like IFTTT.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Taking in consideration how far artificial intelligence is today, Siri should be doing this. What about quantum computers? IBM, Google, Microsoft are working on that. IBM gives free access to that system, Microsoft gives a free quantum simulator to anyone that wants to play with it. What about Apple? iOS 12 with shortcuts...

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Get Location is still not working for me when Shortcut is invoked through Siri

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Taking in consideration how far artificial intelligence is today, Siri should be doing this. What about quantum computers? IBM, Google, Microsoft are working on that. IBM gives free access to that system, Microsoft gives a free quantum simulator to anyone that wants to play with it. What about Apple? iOS 12 with shortcuts...
Then use their systems.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Didn’t even know this was in app form.

Haven’t been running beta iOS in years...

Guess I need to watch the quick video to see what shortcuts is all about.

JTR555

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
Virginia
I just want the alarm clock to be able to use the SiriusXM app or a radio station app to wake me up. It’s been easy enough to set that up on Alexa.

Reactions: Aston441

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
Does the author of this article know for sure that the Nest app will support Shortcuts?

Since he used it as an example, I’m hoping he knows something that I don’t — namely that Nest does indeed plan to support Shortcuts.

That would be great, but as far as I’ve seen, Nest hasn’t said a thing about using Shortcuts as a way to plug into Siri.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
This is going to be nifty. Hopefully I can figure out how this works and get my phone to work like I want it to work automatically by mentioning a keyword.

I am not part of the testflight cohort that is testing this app so I don't know if this specific routine is possible.

Every morning before starting my car, I like to open Pocket Casts, set the portrait orientation lock to be unlocked, then, set the display to be always on, and then to start playing the already in progress podcast I was listening to.

Is this routine possible with the Siri Shortcuts beta right now?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I honestly don't know how useful these things are.

A lot of these things should be done for me (I mean it is a SMARTphone), with the help of Siri.

I'll play with it, but I doubt I'd make use of it.

Reactions: robbyx

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
If iOS12 is being released Monday, why was an update for it available on my iPhone today, Friday the 14th?

I removed the beta certificate last week so it should not have been another beta update.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
How do you get this if you already have the iOS 12 GM installed (and are on the public beta)?

I am guessing Apple will release this App to the App Store publicly on Monday, Apple blog sites like Macrumors.com and others will pick up on it and report the direct link to the app then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.