Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 16.3.2, Apple today released new 16.3.2 software that's available for the HomePod, second-generation HomePod, and HomePod mini.

HomePod-2-White-and-Midnight-Feature-Blue-Orange.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, HomePod software version 16.3.2 addresses an ongoing problem with HomeKit-related Siri requests, which could fail.
This update addresses an issue where asking Siri for smart home requests may fail, and also includes general performance and stability improvements.
There have been multiple complaints about Siri failing to correctly respond to a HomeKit-related requests the first time a request is received, with a timeout occurring. The update should fix that problem for those who have been impacted.

Article Link: Apple Releases HomePod 16.3.2 Software With Fix for Siri Request Failures

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I would get an occasional “You don’t have any HomeKit lights installed“ error when it worked the day before. Hopefully this will fix things though I’m not going to stay awake nights if it doesn’t fix things. My main use for my OG HomePods is to provide great sound for the AppleTV in my bedroom. Anything else is a bonus.

Reactions: mjs916

theOmega

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2018
My HomePods do that often way before iOS 16, I haven't even upgraded them to 16.3.1.. HomeKit is and always has been the house of bugs

Reactions: decypher44

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Ok so this was a known issue then? I thought I was losing my marbles, every single HomePod Siri request for HomeKit items was failing (while working perfectly fine everywhere else).
Yeah, I had a nasty glitch late the other night were I tried to turn off a light and the HomePod responded (at max volume!) that I didn't have any Home accessories set up. I reset it the next day and it seemed to go back to normal.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I have experienced having an initial request or command to be ignored on my OG HomePods - I am hopeful this address that. It used to be perfect and now it's annoying.
I actually had unjustified fear that Apple purposely made this for original HomePods to force people to upgrade

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, I had a nasty glitch late the other night were I tried to turn off a light and the HomePod responded (at max volume!) that I didn't have any Home accessories set up. I reset it the next day and it seemed to go back to normal.

Yikes.

Given the poor reputation I've always felt that I have a bit of a HomeKit / Siri unicorn setup. A lot of devices in HomeKit, a lot of HomePods around, and I use Siri quite frequently to control them (without issue). But past two days, suddenly every time I try via the HomePods I get the dreaded "working on that...... just a moment...... I'm sorry it seems I'm not connected to the internet". Try the same command on my phone, request instantly handled as expected.

Reactions: ignatius345

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
Ok nice, Siri wasn’t responding sometime and random request will reply “you don’t have light setup”… another time the request just muted or can’t recognize the named light in a room.

ANDJOE

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I have four OG HomePods, and never had popping sounds. What is this?
I have four OGs as well and one of them makes like an amplified electronic pop sound every few minutes. Almost like a shortened version of the noise you hear when plugging an electric guitar into an amp. I think that is the issues others have as well.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Has Apple ever done the public release a week from each other before? Seems odd that last week we got the TV and Home Updates and nothing else, and then this week we got them again with everything else. I wonder what the last week fix was.

matrix6028

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2010
I hope this will help with automations with the HomePod MINI has the hub......hopefully!!!!

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
This update didn't solve the following problem for me. When I ask Siri to unlock my Level lock, from inside, she says that she can't do it and that I have to continue on my iPhone. Then I see a banner pop up on my iPhone to continue the request, and I tap it and it shows an error message. I'm so tired of this. I don't own a TV, otherwise I would use an Apple TV for a HomeKit hub over a HomePod. My Sonos speakers are sufficient for my needs. Siri needs to grow up and stop making promises it can't deliver on.

Reactions: uller6

Hails09

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Hopefully everyone gets to download it as I’ve started getting the popping noise

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
Studio,Phone,Two Apple TV's,Two HomPod Mini's all updated and working. (watch still installing)
My hub switched from bedroom Mini to downstairs Apple TV but everything is working as it should.
last week HP started saying I had nothing set up, but I forced a hub change and it started working. Snappier I thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.