Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the second official update to its new iOS 11 operating system, iOS 11.0.2. iOS 11.0.2 comes one week after Apple released iOS 11.0.1, and two weeks after Apple released iOS 11 to the public.

The iOS 11.0.2 update can be downloaded to all eligible devices over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the update, go to Settings --> General --> Software Update.

iphone8ios11.jpg

Today's update addresses bugs that have been discovered following the release of iOS 11. According to Apple's release notes, the update fixes an issue that caused some iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 users to hear a crackling or static noise coming from the earpiece during phone calls and FaceTime calls.

The bug, described by users as "very annoying," was first discovered shortly after the launch of iOS 11, and in late September, Apple said it was working on a fix that would be released in a future update. For affected users, the only way to avoid the static sound was to use headphones or the speakerphone function, as changing cellular settings and resetting the device did not help.

Following the update to iOS 11.0.2, iPhone 8 and 8 Plus owners that have been plagued by crackling should be able to resume phone calls as normal with no further interruption. Today's update also addresses an issue that could cause some photos to become hidden and it fixes an email bug.
- Fixes an issue where crackling sounds may occur during calls for a small number of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus devices
- Addresses an issue that could cause some photos to become hidden
- Fixes an issue where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open
iOS 11 is a major update to the iOS operating system, introducing a redesigned Lock screen experience, a new customizable Control Center, a more natural Siri voice, a redesigned App Store, new HEVC and HEIF codecs for better photo and video efficiency, and an entirely overhauled interface for the iPad. For more info on all the new features in iOS 11, check out our iOS 11 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 11.0.2 Update With Fix for iPhone 8 Crackling Earpiece Issue

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Since the little inconsistencies with Smart Invert and the 3D Touch lag weren't solved in 11.1 b1, I don't think this update will fix noticeable things.

Reactions: Oscar_440

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Didn't have any of the issues described in the fixes so I'll be sticking to iOS 11.1 B1, interested to see what B2 brings.

Reactions: Netman

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
People have been complaining like crazy but there are only three bug fixes...
Really Apple ? That’s all there is to fix in iOS 11 ?

Reactions: Morgenland

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
You really think thats all that was changed? They can't list everything. The last bug fix didn't list anything, yet the update was 286.6MB.

280MB could be 200 fixes.
Well I hope you are right. It would be nice if they could list all the changes and bug fixes though because right now it remind me of some lazy ass changelog from Facebook or Twitter : « Oh look we improved the app make sure to update »

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
“Updates are bad. I just want to complain about bugs and when Apple addresses them, I want to complain about how many bug fixes they release.”

- Macrumors Forums

I really don’t get it. The alternative is an OS with bugs that don’t get patched quickly and if they get patched, they get it done months later after the OS maker releases an update, the manufacturer of the device codes it to their specific devices and then your respective carrier signs off on it. If all that happens, then the bugs get squashed.

Last edited:

DonniRJ

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
I’m so much happier in iOS 11.1 beta, it feels snappier in 6s plus, and the battery is a lil bit better too, or it could just be me.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Is it slower in draining battery charge? That's the main issue I want improved.
Interesting I have not really had any battery issues until today (11.1 beta) Today was a disaster. Less than 2 hrs use and down to 26%. I did use Apple maps for like 15-20 minutes otherwise regular usage. Geez. I see where all the complaints are coming from now. Except no idea why I have not really had any issues until now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.