Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the long-awaited iOS 11.3 update, but it appears the software is only available for download on the sixth-generation iPad, which was announced yesterday at an education event in Chicago.

The sixth-generation iPad went on sale yesterday, but the first orders won't be delivered until later this week and the device is not yet in stores.

ipaddisplaydesign-800x628.jpg

Customers with the new iPad can download iOS 11.3 over-the-air using the Settings app. To access the update, go to Settings --> General --> Software Update.

iOS 11.3 introduces a long list of new features, such as Messages on iCloud for storing your iMessages in iCloud to save valuable on-device storage space.

The update also introduces ARKit 1.5, a new version of ARKit that allows developers to do more with augmented reality apps, and it includes a "Battery Health" feature designed to provide iOS users with more information about their batteries.

Other new features include new review sorting options in the App Store, software authentication for HomeKit devices, Business Chat for contacting businesses using iMessage, and more.

It's not clear why Apple has released iOS 11.3 for the new iPad and not for any other devices, but the surprise launch suggests the release of iOS 11.3 for other Apple products is imminent and could perhaps come later this week.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 11.3 Update Solely for New iPad

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
With Cook, software release cycles are a f mess

Under Steve Jobs, iOS 3.2 was iPad-only, and then iOS 4.0 and 4.1 were iPhone-only. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[doublepost=1522257949][/doublepost]
Surely this is because the new iPad comes with 11.3 and therefore 11.3 is needed for anyone that needs a restore?

Maybe.

Could also be simply that they're tracking down an iPhone-specific bug.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Why are people getting bent out of shape about this? This pretty much guarantees that it will see wide release any day now. If I'm not mistaken, the new iPad won't be arriving in stores or delivered to consumers before the end of this week, or maybe early next week. All this means is that people who get the new iPad won't have to download an update right out of the box.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Call me crazy, but I think that iOS 11.3 will be released on Friday, with a website update that introduces AirPower, AirPods wireless case, and a gold iPhone X. The reason I say this is because there is code in the iOS 11.3 betas that suggest AirPower support coming with it, and why would there be support for it if you can't buy it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.