Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will today release iOS 12.4, the fourth major update to the iOS 12 operating system that first launched in September 2018. iOS 12.4 comes more two months after the release of iOS 12.3, another major update that brought the new TV app.

The iOS 12.4 update is available on all eligible devices over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the update, go to Settings --> General --> Software Update. As with all iOS updates, iOS 12.4 is free to download, but it may take some time for iOS 12.4 to propagate to all iOS users.

ios12banner-800x416.jpg

During the beta testing process, there were no outward-facing features or major changes discovered in iOS 12.4. According to Apple's release notes, the update introduces a new iPhone migration option to directly transfer data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone, and it introduces enhancements to Apple News+. From Apple's release notes:
iOS 12.4 introduces iPhone migration to directly transfer data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone, includes enhancements to Apple News+ and improves the security of your iPhone or iPad. This update:

iPhone migration
- Introduces the ability to wirelessly transfer data and migrate directly from an old iPhone to a new iPhone during setup

Apple News
- Makes downloaded issues accessible in the My Magazines section, both offline and online
- Adds all publications in Apple News+, including newspapers, to the catalog at the top of the News+ feed
- Adds the ability to clear downloaded magazine issues by selecting History > Clear > Clear All

Other improvements and fixes
- Includes a security fix for the Walkie-Talkie app on Apple Watch and re-enables Walkie-Talkie functionality

This release also includes support for HomePod in Japan and Taiwan.
The update was believed to include support for Apple Card, laying the foundation for Apple's new credit card, though the release notes make no mention of this. It could still add the underlying framework for Apple Card, which is set to be launching this summer and could come at any time.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 12.4 With New Wireless Data Migration When Setting Up a New iPhone and Apple News+ Improvements

Reactions: Ravi_MR

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I suppose both devices will need to be running iOS 12.4 in order for the wireless data migration feature to work ?

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
The Walkie-Talkie security fix is in the iOS update notes, not the watchOS update?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hah, this wireless upgrading thing will be great for the person or two who actually upgrades to the 2019 iPhone. Restoring from iCloud is really slow.

I've been on vacation and come back to see fugly hands-on mockups and lackluster specs compared to the 2020 model leaks. Hopefully they get their crap together.

I'm just glad the walkie-talkie functionality will be restored. My wife and I use it all the time and I find it hilarious that it was essentially broken only during my vacation when I needed it most.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The wireless migration feature was probably introduced to reduce crowds in Apple Stores.

When people upgrade to a new phone, they tend to hang around in the store until their new device restores from an iCloud backup, which could take 15-20 minutes or more. A direct transfer from the old phone to the new will allow this step to be skipped, moving along customers more quickly.

This is just a hunch; I wouldn't be surprised if it was the main driver behind the feature though.

Flojomojo

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2006
The wireless migration feature was probably introduced to reduce crowds in Apple Stores.

When people upgrade to a new phone, they tend to hang around in the store until their new device restores from an iCloud backup, which could take 15-20 minutes or more. A direct transfer from the old phone to the new will allow this step to be skipped, moving along customers more quickly.
Sure, but it's useful for everyone else, too. Transfer your data in the car on the way home, without wifi! Transfer data from your broken phone to a working one while on vacation, without wifi! Give a new corporate-owned phone to an employee and transfer all the data, without wifi!

Now the bottleneck at the Apple store and everyone else will just be people who don't know/remember their own passwords, as has and will always be the case.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
This is interesting. I wonder if Apple Card will just appear as available in 12.4 at some point.

If it requires iOS 13, the iPhone 6, which supports Apple Pay, will never be compatible.

On the other hand, I wonder long it will be until Apply Pay is permanently disabled in the iPhone 6 due to lack of security updates...

Root777

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
Very disappointed that there's no mention of Apple Card in this update... I'm eagerly waiting for that to debut and I was hoping that 12.4's release would see a side-by-side launch of the card :(

These are considerably lame features for a "major"ish release. I'd imagine they're waiting a week to let users update before launching the card, it's likely in the 12.4 update but only time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.