Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS and iPadOS 14.8.1, minor updates to the iOS and iPadOS 14 operating systems. iOS and iPadOS 14.8.1 come more than a month after the release of iOS and iPadOS 14.8, another security fix update.

iOS-14-on-iPhone-feature-emergency.jpg

The iOS and iPadOS 14.8.1 updates can be downloaded for free and the software is available on all eligible devices over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the new software, go to Settings > General > Software Update.

iOS and iPadOS 14.8.1 introduce multiple security updates and the software is recommended for all iPhone and iPad users who are continuing to run iOS 14. According to Apple's security support document, the update addresses a number of vulnerabilities with Sidecar, WebKit, Voice Control, the Status Bar, and more.

Most of these vulnerabilities do not appear to have been used in the wild, and Apple says that just an IOMobileFrameBuffer may have been actively exploited. This issue could allow an application to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges.

Apple made upgrading to iOS 15 optional, and has allowed people to remain on iOS 14 if they so desire. Apple is continuing to release iOS 14 updates as a result, but these updates will be focused on security fixes and will not be introducing new features. New features will be limited to updates to iOS 15, the newest version of iOS.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 14.8.1 and iPadOS 14.8.1 With Security Updates

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Apple made upgrading to iOS 15 optional, and has allowed people to remain on iOS 14 if they so desire.

How do I upgrade from, say, 14.3 to 14.8.1? 14.3 is too old to have the UI to choose between 14 and 15.

I suppose downloading the ipsw on a Mac might work?

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
How do I upgrade from, say, 14.3 to 14.8.1? 14.3 is too old to have the UI to choose between 14 and 15.

I suppose downloading the ipsw on a Mac might work?
I’m on the same boat. I’m on iOS 14.4.2 and apparently I am not eligible for this updates. Also, I’d like to perform a clean install, and it is not possible.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I’m on the same boat. I’m on iOS 14.4.2 and apparently I am not eligible for this updates.
I AM curious though, how did ya'll get stuck on such old versions of iOS 14? Did you turn off update notifications completely? Seems like shooting yourself in the foot security-wise.

Reactions: Vyse2020

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
What am I missing that people are holding out on iOS 15? I haven't really noticed any differences besides GUI, but I also dont do a lot on my phone.

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
It's worth noting that this update is only available to people who are on iOS 14.5-14.8. There is no IPSW so you cannot downgrade to it via iTunes/Finder if you're already on iOS 15.
yes, bummer. Got the new iPad mini and are stuck with 15 from the get go. So no use for widgets and a squashed homescreen. No such problems on my mini 5 on 14.8. Got the offer for 15.1 now, thought they fixed it with 15.02 but no. Not holding my breath for 15.1. Why wast all that screen when you only have 8.2"? why do all icons disappear when you put in a couple of tiny non readable widgets?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I AM curious though, how did ya'll get stuck on such old versions of iOS 14? Did you turn off update notifications completely? Seems like shooting yourself in the foot security-wise.
Because iOS 14.5 -if I remember correctly- had bluetooth issues. So I waited for the next one. And I don’t remember what issues had 14.6, I guess it was battery life? The famous battery draining problem. So I waited to the next one. Then, iOS 14.7 seemed better than any other, but many people were reporting WiFi, data and cell signal issues, dropping calls and having to enter airplane mode to switch from WiFi to 4G. So I waited for the next one... Then iOS 14.8 showed an even higher battery drain, so I... (you know the rest)

Honestly, my expectations with iOS are that every major release will be better, faster and more stable. However, with iOS 14, it seemed like every time they fixed one thing, they broke another one. So I’ve been always waiting, on the verge of the update.

At this point, and if iOS 15.2 isn’t a catastrophically bad release, I will update all my devices to it. Christmas releases tend to be pretty polished because people buy a lot of devices during this time of the year, and Apple knows that.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Oh great, so there is no way to stay on iOS 14 with updates on my iPad that is running 14.4... I don't want the squished home screens...

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
What am I missing that people are holding out on iOS 15? I haven't really noticed any differences besides GUI, but I also dont do a lot on my phone.
There's nothing in iOS 15 I care about, so why embrace a new set of bugs from Apple? There wasn't anything in iOS 14 I cared about either, I didn't install that until a remote vuln was revealed that was patched in iOS 14.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.