Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Havoc035

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2021
CoreGraphics
Impact: Processing a maliciously crafted PDF may lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.

WebKit
Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.

Sounds like another emergency release. Apple really needs to step up their security game.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I was expecting Developer Releases for iOS/iPadOS 15 today.
Maybe tomorrow?
We usually see the release after the iPhone event, and it'll likely be the GM or whatever the new word/equivalent is these days. At this point, 15.0 has to be done so it can be loaded on the new phones in the factories.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
We usually see the release after the iPhone event, and it'll likely be the GM or whatever the new word/equivalent is these days. At this point, 15.0 has to be done so it can be loaded on the new phones in the factories.
I can't recall the exact timing... Doesn't a new iOS update go live after the new device keynote and a few days before new devices start delivering?

jb-net

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Austria
Good, a lot of people will want to stay on iOS 14 and stay away from iOS 15. It's a good decision from Apple continuing the support.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Big Sur 11.6 is also out. Looking at the security content page, it sounds like this may possibly fix the Pegasus issue?

Reactions: michaelnugent

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I can't recall the exact timing... Doesn't a new iOS update go live after the new device keynote and a few days before new devices start delivering?
Yes, in the past, the new iOS update has gone live to the public a week after the keynote, or a few days before new devices start delivering. The "GM" or RC build is usually released to the developers right after the keynote though, and is usually what's loaded on the phones in the factories.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
9to5Mac reports that these patches fix the Pegasus Blastdoor exploit.

Most notably, Apple says that iOS 14.8 and iPadOS 14.8 both address CoreGraphics and WebKit vulnerabilities that may have been actively exploited. The CoreGraphics vulnerability was reported by The Citizen Lab, which discovered a zero-click iPhone attack that defeated Apple’s Blastdoor protections back in August.

The vulnerability reported by The Citizen Lab is believed to have been used to target Bahraini activists whose iPhones were successfully hacked with NSO Group’s Pegasus spyware.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
I think I'm switching back to IOS 14.8 from IOS 15 as the NFL app simply will not work in IOS 15. No REDZONE, audio in Spanish with no fix for audio feeds. It's just a total mess start to finish. Only the stats come up and most of the time, the NFL app tells you you're not connected to the internet too! UGH! I'm sure it's likely the NFL's fault, but there's no fix and I'm not waiting on them. Since I see no reports of this problem, I can only assume it's IOS 15 beta testing that is the issue. :(

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Yes, in the past, the new iOS update has gone live to the public a week after the keynote, or a few days before new devices start delivering. The "GM" or RC build is usually released to the developers right after the keynote though, and is usually what's loaded on the phones in the factories.
Appreciate the confirmation.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I think I'm switching back to IOS 14.8 from IOS 15 as the NFL app simply will not work in IOS 15. No REDZONE, audio in Spanish with no fix for audio feeds. It's just a total mess start to finish. Only the stats come up and most of the time, the NFL app tells you you're not connected to the internet too! UGH! I'm sure it's likely the NFL's fault, but there's no fix and I'm not waiting on them. Since I see no reports of this problem, I can only assume it's IOS 15 beta testing that is the issue. :(
iOS 15 is in beta.

You will see iOS 15 compatibility updates for all major apps in the coming weeks.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Seeing a banner for iOS 15 too :p
B22D660C-5D33-48AB-9D7D-833F98B8AE24.jpeg

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Safe to say Apple won’t be releasing iOS 15 on Wednesday for the public like they did with iOS 14 last year lol
Not safe to say that until after the keynote tomorrow. They still could very well do the exact same thing this year. (One would hope not, but there is still the chance)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.