Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 With Home Screen Redesign, App Library, Compact UI, Translate App, Scribble Support, App Clips, and More

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
For one Up Next is gone, Apple Maps public service announcements are gone, 3d touch on weather, photos, notes and other apps would open a widget like UI which is now gone, why when widgets replacing it are **** and maybe i don't want that widget on my screen all the time. Complete **** up by Apple.

If you move one app on the screen then all other apps move with it and make a mess. WHAT THE ****? How retarded one must be when coding it not to realise it will be **** experience? App library is useless if categories are random. I have two apps that do exactly same thing and one is in utilities and the other one is in productivity and finance, come on. The list goes one. Why doesn't that calendar widget show me alarms i have for the next day? Now it only shows date and "no event for today". Completely wasted space and functionality.

Other thing ... if i have 5 home screens how do i get to app library without swiping 5 pages and then reaching app library? How ****ing retarded they must be coding it? Do they not have user experience and usability people for that?

Thanks for this, really. I'm holding of on upgrading now. I'm pretty sure no one at Apple has cared about user experience/usability with some parts of iOS since they went on that skeuomorphic purge way back in 7.

Picard J.L.

Suspended
Mar 27, 2020
Weather widget is one giant bug. Also if I put on a face mask it doesn’t show me pin code UI automatically like it did on iOS 13.

Last edited by a moderator:

posguy99

macrumors 65832
Nov 3, 2004
Weather widget is one giant bug. Also if I put on a face mask it doesn’t show me pin code UI automatically like it did on iOS 13.
<shrug> So uninstall it. Not like it's hard. Like I said up-thread, doesn't everyone know not to install a .0?

Last edited by a moderator:

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
It's not massive deal breaker, but it is deflating. I see "Up Next" is gone?

I don't quite get that move what so ever, personally this is one of the most used widgets on my iPad (I look to my right, iPad is there...boom, theres the "Up Next" and whats coming) It's been extremely helpful!

IF...big if...IF Apple does read feedback here, bring it back please.

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
You can still make all the folders you want, have all the apps on screens, and App Library just sits on one last page. This is far from new information.
I understand that but if I have my screens organized the way I want, I don't understand the need for this SECOND set of app organization - especially with the search feature already in place

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Always amusing to see these threads evolve from people whining that they cannot update to the new iOS version, to (sometimes the same) people whining about the new iOS version.

And then there are the smugmugs (like me) espousing the virtues of waiting until version XX.1 comes out. But, that would be kinda uncool to openly assert that on this thread, right?

Greatness617

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2017
OKAY I MIGHT BE TRIPPING BUT MY BATTERY HEALTH IS OVERALL 91%
MY PHONE NEED TO BE CHARGED EVERY 2/3 HOURS ITS ON 40/50% AFTER BEING CHARGED TO 90%
I AM NOT DOING NOTHING MUCH MAYBE PLAYING MUSIC OVER WIFI.
IS IT JUST ME?!

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
It's not an option if you can't turn it off.

No, what I meant was it was giving options to people who want to organize their apps in different ways. I for one cannot stand the organization (or lack thereof) of ios all these years. It’s so messy just throwing everything on your “desktop” basically. I like to organize things like my real desk and office. Some things stay out all the time, other things get hidden away in file cabinet drawers.

Sorry their changes don’t work for you, I suspect they will give people the option to turn it off at a future point in time. For now, maybe make a blank or one app page as a buffer of some sort so you never have to see it?

Reactions: lkalliance

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
I think some people will just find something to complain about :rolleyes:

Yep. If specific functions are THAT vital, then the downgrade window back to iOS 13.7 is still open (provided that you have a backup that was done using iOS 13). Download the IPSW file that matches your device, and restore the device using recovery mode. That will setup the device as new, and then you'll need to restore the data using the backup. Any backup done using iOS 14 will not work.

I did this with iOS 10 when I found out that my old iMac could no longer download the photos off the phone. I downgraded back to iOS 9, and stayed there until iOS 12 when I started using a newer computer for photo editing and archiving.

Ssn!

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
Somewhere
As anybody else seen strange size icons in iPad? Some are smaller for no particular reason. 🤣

Attachments

• 4E311832-697F-41D1-B129-5D57E48F4485.jpeg
    4E311832-697F-41D1-B129-5D57E48F4485.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • Angry
Reactions: Babygotfont

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I understand that but if I have my screens organized the way I want, I don't understand the need for this SECOND set of app organization - especially with the search feature already in place

What this allows you to do is hide away the many apps that used to litter your home screen, which you can still access using app library. One cool thing I realised about app library is that I can tap directly on the app icon to launch it. It's not like a folder where I have to first tap to open the folder, then tap again on the app to launch it. The end result is that it can make your phone feel less cluttered and easier to navigate, even if you have already taken the effort to carefully organise your home screen and squirrel every app into folders to keep them all within 1-2 pages.

I am trying it and so far, I am liking it, since it is able to recommend me the apps I have using the most frequently, while hiding away the apps I don't need to open.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Any bugs surfaced yet? Is it safe to update? :)

Why I'm here also. :) Been looking the past 24-36 hrs. I have to look at other threads...but mostly its a love / deep hate with the new UI (this App Folder especially). My personal concern as usual is battery life. So far that looks iffy on a few threads I've seen.

I do know some apps are buggy because they didn't have time to update.
Right now, still debating..I may hold off on the first patch release. Maybe by Tues?? Hopefully.

Reactions: HyperFlow and jon08

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Why I'm here also. :) Been looking the past 24-36 hrs. I have to look at other threads...but mostly its a love / deep hate with the new UI (this App Folder especially). My personal concern as usual is battery life. So far that looks iffy on a few threads I've seen.

I do know some apps are buggy because they didn't have time to update.
Right now, still debating..I may hold off on the first patch release. Maybe by Tues?? Hopefully.
Thanks for your input. Would you mind posting here again if you find any more bugs mentioned anywhere? :)

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
  • Sad
Reactions: Stridr69

phillytim

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
iOS 14 has worked pretty well for me so far, other than the oddity of the Settings app crashed once.

Seems that a majority of third-party apps have updated in the past 3 days to allow widgets; tho there are still a number of them pending.

Reactions: AussieStu

AussieStu

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
How do you disable widgets? i used to be able to see everything in one glace with a swipe right. now i have big ass widgets which take up more room on my screen but i now have scroll down to see the same info as i did in one glace in iOS 13..

Reactions: phillytim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.