Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 With Home Screen Redesign, App Library, Compact UI, Translate App, Scribble Support, App Clips, and More

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
No, you are supposed to be able to add them to the Home Screen. When I initially set up as a new device widgets on the Home Screen worked. Now that I’ve restored from a backup it doesn’t
I don't think that is true. I remember the inability of adding widgets to home screen was one of the things that was different than iOS. And 9to5Mac also says:

iPadOS 14 arrives with the new widgets that have landed with iOS 14 (however they are limited to the Today View )

posguy99

macrumors 65832
Nov 3, 2004
Oh I just remembered I don’t want to do this update and it mess up all my album artwork (much of which I created) in iTunes. A major update like this always screws up album artwork. I’m going to stay on 13.7 for now.
Why is the phone authoritative?
[automerge]1600353519[/automerge]
All in all worthless update. Widgets are **** and lots of functionality previously available is lost.
List of lost functionality, please.

Reactions: NetMage

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Installed on my iPad Pro 11” 2018. The power button long press no longer gives me the option to shut down. I have to go into settings to shut the device off.

Picard J.L.

Suspended
Mar 27, 2020
Why is the phone authoritative?
[automerge]1600353519[/automerge]

List of lost functionality, please.
For one Up Next is gone, Apple Maps public service announcements are gone, 3d touch on weather, photos, notes and other apps would open a widget like UI which is now gone, why when widgets replacing it are **** and maybe i don't want that widget on my screen all the time. Complete **** up by Apple.

If you move one app on the screen then all other apps move with it and make a mess. WHAT THE ****? How retarded one must be when coding it not to realise it will be **** experience? App library is useless if categories are random. I have two apps that do exactly same thing and one is in utilities and the other one is in productivity and finance, come on. The list goes one. Why doesn't that calendar widget show me alarms i have for the next day? Now it only shows date and "no event for today". Completely wasted space and functionality.

Other thing ... if i have 5 home screens how do i get to app library without swiping 5 pages and then reaching app library? How ****ing retarded they must be coding it? Do they not have user experience and usability people for that?

Last edited:

Veerasayz

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
I like cool color tone than warm. I see cool tone when true tone is toggled sometimes but not always. Sometimes, I have to toggle off to see cool tone. How can I set it without a need to change this very frequently.

lkalliance

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2015
For one Up Next is gone, Apple Maps public service announcements are gone, 3d touch on weather, photos, notes and other apps would open a widget like UI which is now gone, why when widgets replacing it are **** and maybe i don't want that widget on my screen all the time. Complete **** up by Apple.

If you move one app on the screen then all other apps move with it and make a mess. WHAT THE ****? How retarded one must be when coding it not to realise it will be **** experience? App library is useless if categories are random. I have two apps that do exactly same thing and one is in utilities and the other one is in productivity and finance, come on. The list goes one. Why doesn't that calendar widget show me alarms i have for the next day? Now it only shows date and "no event for today". Completely wasted space and functionality.

Other thing ... if i have 5 home screens how do i get to app library without swiping 5 pages and then reaching app library? How ****ing retarded they must be coding it? Do they not have user experience and usability people for that?
My user experience reading your profanity-laced and overly aggressive post was very negative. Don't you have proof-readers and PR people for that?

;)

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Does this update have the option where i can talk to Siri/text-to-speech without my voice recordings going to Apple servers?

caipirina08

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
That’s been my case since Catalina. I can’t use iTunes to connect to my phone with Mojave. Dirty pool on apples’ part
I managed to solve my issue .. after plenty of tinkering and turning off/on many times suddenly THIS popped up (which is NOT the 'trust this computer' window) ...
and that solved it .. .:)

Fullscreen_9_17_20__8_24_PM.jpg

caipirina08

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
Was that requiring an update to iOS 14, or to 13.7 or something else?
no, my initial problem was that after updating to iOS14, my iTunes no longer saw my iPhone ... took me a while to trigger this 'ooops, we need a tiny bit of extra software' message .. and now its all good

Reactions: lkalliance

rodscom

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2019
Downloaded the Beta 8. Restored it through the Finder. After that updated without a clean install. But I'm trying another approach today: Made a clean install again, but before, I made a backup in the computer (a Mac). And after the clean install was complete, before nothing else I clicked ON THE FINDER > "restore backup from this computer"...

...Edited...Voilá my friend, it finally worked!!!;)

I can’t do that. Before a clean install, I updated via OTA, made a new backup on iOS 14 and after that I installed the clean version on recovery mode. So, I’m not able to restore iCloud backup from a previous version of iOS 14 oficial build. Already talked to Apple and they request 24 hours to solve.

Reactions: antmarobel

posguy99

macrumors 65832
Nov 3, 2004
For one Up Next is gone, Apple Maps public service announcements are gone, 3d touch on weather, photos, notes and other apps would open a widget like UI which is now gone,
Thanks for the list. I'm not about to waste time at this point installing iOS 14, but just an observation. 3d touch is gone. Get used to it. It was an experiment that's over. Long press replaces part of it but not all of it, I know.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I have many apps on my iPhone X in folders that I created and I can find what I'm looking for very quickly. If I download this software is there a chance I will lose this setup. I'm 69 yoa and my memory is not what it use to be and I want my apps to remain in place as they are now. I love Apple products but sometimes the changes with new software can become very complicated for senior citizens like myself.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
For some reason when I click on Calendar widget it always goes to 2019. It’s been doing this for several betas and I thought it’d be fixed on the main release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.