Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 16.4, the fourth major update to the iOS 16 operating system that initially came out last September. iOS 16.4 comes two months after the launch of iOS 16.3, an update that added Security Keys for Apple ID.

iOS-16.4-Feature-Blue.jpg

iOS 16‌.4 and iPadOS 16.4 can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update. It can take a few minutes for the updates to propagate to all users due to high demand. Apple has also released iOS 15.7.4 for iPhone users who have older devices, with the update offering security improvements.

iOS 16.4 adds 21 total new emoji characters including shaking head, pink heart, blue heart, gray heart, donkey, moose, black bird, goose, wing, jellyfish, hyacinth, and more.

It also includes Safari web notifications for websites added to the Home Screen, Voice Isolation for clearer cellular phone calls, the return of the Apple Books page turning animation, updates to Podcasts, new HomeKit architecture, and a number of other small changes and tweaks. Apple's full notes for the update are below:
This update includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:

- 21 new emoji including animals, hand gestures, and objects are now available in emoji keyboard
- Notifications for web apps added to the Home Screen
- Voice Isolation for cellular calls prioritizes your voice and blocks out ambient noise around you
- Duplicates album in Photos expands support to detect duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud Shared Photo Library
- VoiceOver support for maps in the Weather app
- Accessibility setting to automatically dim video when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected
- Fixes an issue where Ask to Buy requests from children may fail to appear on the parent's device
- Addresses issues where Matter-compatible thermostats could become unresponsive when paired to Apple Home
- Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4 may be some of the last updates that we see to the iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 operating systems as Apple shifts its focus to iOS 17 and iPadOS 17, software that will be announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference that's expected in June.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 16.4 With New Emoji, Safari Web Push Notifications, Beta Changes, Voice Isolation for Calls and More

Last edited:
Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Snappier?

In all seriousness I hope it helps battery drain on the iPhone 14 Pro! I’m so disappointed with this phone, it’s 6pm in the evening and I’m at 37%. My iPhone 11 Pro that I updated from still lasted all day. I’m actually sickened by this garbage.
Trade in now for a yellow iPhone 14 plus! I heard that was a 10-12 hour screen time phone

• Haha
Reactions: 4odomi

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Snappier?

In all seriousness I hope it helps battery drain on the iPhone 14 Pro! I’m so disappointed with this phone, it’s 6pm in the evening and I’m at 37%. My iPhone 11 Pro that I updated from still lasted all day. I’m actually sickened by this garbage.

My XS Max has been brutal on battery, and I'd get to thinking it's hardware deterioration (85%), but some releases fix it and make it still fine for me, and then other releases go and nuke it again

Reactions: centauratlas

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Because I downloaded the RC last week, I won't get the update right? I still think (And I provided Feedback yesterday) that Apple Music has been sluggish with this new release. I do appreciate the folders for playlists though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.